Suitable Strings for Hard Hitters

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Bonn, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Bonn

Bonn Regular Member

Engineer
    Anyone can recommend suitable strings for hard hitters and the string still can hold its tension for say maybe 3 months before it starts to fray? I am currently trying out the BS807 from Gosen and found that it loses tension after 2 weeks of play (played 3 times a week). I wonder if BG85, BG80, BG66 or maybe BG68Ti is suitable for hard hitters?

When one switch to a thicker string will there be any impact on smashes? IMO is that it will be pretty hard to smash unless one got lots of arm power. Thinner strings will tend to produce great smashes but won't last.

Any Advise out there? Many Many thanks.

2. Altezza

Altezza Regular Member

What tensions are you running? Perhaps the Aermet series strings from Gosen or the Ti series strings (Ashaway, Yonex, Toa) will hold tension longer. Max recommended for Gosen 807 is 22 lbs.

3. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

From my experience with these strings - here are my opinions - since I like to hit hard as well :D Hope this will help.

BG-65

Excellent durability, adequate power and control. Slightly stiff feeling string that tend to lose tension fast and when it does, the performace diminishes greatly, so ask your stringer to string 10% higher than what you prefer to get the best of this string

BG66

A softish feeling string with very good power, good control and poor durability. Similar to BG65, it lose tension after initial use but not as badly. If slicing and smashing forms main part of your game play expect very short string life. Also, when strung up 23lbs, its performance is almost on par with higer end strings, but above that tension it just doesn't seem to last.

BG80

In my experience, this is the most powerful string from Yonex. Excellent power, good control and feel. Average durability. Vectran strans creates a rough string surface enabling ease of slicing and tumble shorts. It is a soft feeling string and it frays very badly after short period of time, losing external layer and exposing inner core stran before breaking. Seems to work best above 22lbs.

BG85

My favorite string at the moment. Almost as powerful as BG80 but with slightly better feel and control. Good durability. I had great experience with this string when strung 24x25lbs, but a terrible experience at lower tension when my stringer accidentally strung below 22lbs. Slightly textured surface aids slicing and tumble shots, and the string isn't too stiff so it has great overall feel. When string lose tension all the power and feel seems to go away. Expensive also.

BG65Ti

I used to hate this string but after using it on my MP77 at high tension, I changed my view. It is a stiff-feeling string with slippery surface, which makes slicing and tumbling shot difficult. Very good power, durability and ok control. High tension seems to bring out the best of this string.

BG68Ti

I am currently trying out this string on my MP100, at recommendation of my former stringer. Again, a very stiff string with slippery surface. Excellent power but it requires more effort to produce the power when comparing to BG80 / BG85. I am still learning this string, but initial opinion is not all that positive. BG85 is still the best for me. Time will tell.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definately, a very important piece of information.

5. modious

modious Regular Member

For 3 months before it starts to fray??
    That depends how long and often you play in 3 months!

All strings looses tension after a while. IMO, I find that BG66, BG68Ti and BG88Ti does not loose tension that fast. BG85 is great but it seems to loose tension pretty fast....

The most durable + tension holding + control + hard hitting string from Yonex is BG88Ti. You can't go wrong with this string. But then again, it's not available in Singapore....

*Note : I strung my rackets @ 25lbs

6. Bonn

Bonn Regular Member

Engineer
    I wonder where you got the BG88Ti though its not available in Singapore. I would like to try out that string on the MP100. By any chance, you getting the string into Singapore? I don't mind putting an order on that string through you. ;)

7. Bonn

Bonn Regular Member

Engineer
    I did talk to a stringer regarding string issues. He did mentioned that some strings are not meant to be string too high a tension or it will loose its 'intended' tension. He recommended that it is best to test out the strung 'weight' and see if the string does looses tension fast. If it is so, then the string is not suitable to be strung at high tension.

I guess certain strings are meant to be strung at certain tension and not overly high tension as it will negate the effectiveness of the string. I do feel the company manufacturing the strings should state what is the effective tension to be strung for that string rather than doing trial and error to get the correct tension. I do think that they have the testing facilities to do tests which will be very accurate to real life scenarios of how the string is being 'tortured'.

Maybe if they do reveal the info. Yonex string division might be closed down.....:D

8. modious

modious Regular Member

U'll have to get it through a member in this forum called |r|s.
    check ur PM.

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

If you like to hit it hard, either use Ashaway's Microlegend XL strings or the Micro Powers. Each gives a cracking smash and also they are very, very durable. I highly reccommned them.

Matt

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'm surprised no one mention bg70pro, much more durable and lower cost than 68,80,85 and 88 and can take high tension and hold them longer too. If cost is no a matter, then go for bg88ti. I never tried the high end ashaway and gosen strings so i got no comments but their low end strings are not my liking.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    stamped on the reel of the yonex bg70pro

"For Hard Hitters"

and made for "DURABILITY"

12. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Agreed!

I have it strung on MP100... it was as stiff as it was 30hrs of playtime ago! :D

13. Jazz

Jazz Regular Member

Industrial Designer
    I use BG-75Ti with 25lbs on Ti-10, it's a really powerful string. But again, no good in control.

I try BG-88Ti and Cyber Natural before, I like Cyber Natural better than 88Ti.

14. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    BG-70 pro is a good string, says right on the label, for "hard hitters". All the others, 68ti, 66, 80, 85, are all thin strings and you will smash through them.

Also thin strings are suppose to be strung at higher tension than thick strings for optimal performance.

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work

16. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    so many people end up going to good old BG65...as long as its tight its good...

17. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

If i be using BG-65 with regular play...u be seeing me changing string every week...lolx

18. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student
    I use BG-70PRO because I'm tired of restringing from loss of tension or breakage. The 70 seems to keep its tension fairly well and does not break very fast.

19. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

anywhere to get 70pro in singapore...doens see it often..

20. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

In my (fairly limited) experience with high tensions, that is at least 26-28lbs, I agree that the BG-70Pro is one the best strings for keeping a high tension. Yonex market the string as having good durability, rather than providing power or feel, but at high tensions, it feels pretty good.

I used to have it strung at 30lbs on my MP99. When you get used to it, it's brilliant.