Yonex Arc10 2U/3U defense comparison?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by hn8790, Jun 19, 2009.

1. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    I've tried to search but couldn't really find a definitive answer to my question.

I have bought some arcsaber 10's and it turns out I got sent 2U rackets, I'm debating whether to keep them or not instead of swapping for 3U.

I gather 2U will be more powerful but can anyone comment on how the defense and speed of an arc10 2U compares to the 3U?

Thanks,
    Hai.

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I know this does not exactly answer your question but it maybe usedful. Some people who have tried the 2U felt that it is a bit too heavy to their liking and would go with the 3U instead.

To best honest, if you have a 3U version, go ahead and borrow one ot try out to see for yourself to find out which one you prefer.

3. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Relatively speaking, 2U would be more sluggish to defend than 3U. However, with Arc10's light weight (Yes, I said LIGHT), it's not that noticeable once you get used to it. Also keep in mind that 2U allows you to string at a higher tension since the material is more dense than 3U. I have a 3U version and have tried a 2U version, and I feel that 2U is not much heavier than 3U.

4. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    You should swap for the 3U. The 2U is too slow on drives and defense for face paced games. Do what many BC members have done, take the 3U ARC10 and put lead tape.

5. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Thanks for the responses guys, in the end I just thought the hell with it and started using the rackets, all I can say is that the 2U arc 10 feels awesome.

I was almost put off from even trying the rackets because so many people said it was hard to adjust and get power from the racket, I didn't want to waste over £200.

I didn't have any timing issues at all and frame feels like nothing else I have ever played with before, whether because it's a more solid 2U frame or because it's an Arc 10 I'm not sure. I might have to borrow my friends 3U to compare.

I didn't have issues getting power from the frame at all, forehand/backhand clears, smashes even backhand smashes were effortless and felt easier to generate more power than my old 2nd gen Ti-10. The power is there and it just felt so solid and control was excellent, btw im using BG80 @ 30 lbs. The frame really does transfer a lot of energy to the shuttle

As you have said defense is perhaps a little slower when you need to react really quickly but I found I could defend smashes with a lot more height and depth to the back of the courts, even flicking it cross court felt easier. All of this did however take its toll on my wrist which is a little more tired than usual, but nothing major. I think although the racket is heavier it is still very nicely balanced and if you have the wrist power this is an excellent doubles racket.

Just wanted to give my thoughts in case anyone else was thinking of getting the 2U version of the arc 10. Because there are many negative opinions of the arc 10 I wanted to add to the positive ones!

I still dont know how it compares to 3U version perhaps I will report back on this once I get a chance to try, then again its not a fair comparison unless its strung with the same string and same tension. In the future I will definitely consider the 2U option whatever I'm buying.

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    There were a lot of negative opinions on the Arc10?.... I find the Arc10 pretty powerful.... And yes, 2U packs more punch than the 3U.

I also purchase 2U more than 3U, unless the shop doesn't carry 2U, then I'll get 3U. I never, and will never, considered 4U.

7. tinned_ham

tinned_ham Regular Member

i have both the 3U and 2U, surprisingly the 2U swings through the air quite fast which, coming from NanoSpeeds, is pretty unexpected. however the weight is very noticeable compared to the 3U, and movement for me is a small issue with the racket as i am more of a wrist player than an arm one - and probably because of that, i feel the 2U and the 3U give roughly the same amount of power for me. perhaps the heavier weight of the 2U would be suited to a player that uses more arm in their strokes. having said that, i really like the feel of both weights, but i use the 3U more for doubles for quicker movements, and the 2U for singles now and then.

a side note: the G5 grip on the Arc10 feels a lot more like a G4 for other Yonex rackets, has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

8. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

grip is because of the leather

switching from a Ti-10... u could play with a 1U Arc10 and u would like it anyway ^^