Is good to do some weight lifting before into a match ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by exxn0mercy, Jun 20, 2009.

1. exxn0mercy

exxn0mercy Regular Member

Student
    Is good to do some weight lifting by lifting dumb bell before into a match ? is there any benefits ?

2. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

regular weight lifting both for upper and lower body will help develope muscle strength and endurance. but why would you want to stress out your muscles just before your matches? your muscles get sore, gets "heavier", tightens up, and becomes weaker. you also run the risk of pulling a muscle, so why risk it?

3. exxn0mercy

exxn0mercy Regular Member

Student
    Ohh.. I see... Ok then.. I will not do weight lifting before into a match.. hehe.. thx for the info.......

4. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

i'd say a good routine before a match is plenty of stretching for all parts of your body, neck, shoulders, arms, wrists, thigh, leg, ankle, feet... and warm up by doing all your shots, clears, drops, drives, smashes, smash returns... and dont forget mentally psyching/pumping up to get into a game mode, metally push yourself to go after every birdie :)

5. ingridt

ingridt Regular Member

student
    absouloutley not ( dunno know how to spell)

6. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    No, you'll lose sensitively and power in your muscles, along with added chance with injury. In fact, I wouldnt' do weight training for at least a week before a competition to let my muscles rest and recover completely.

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I agree with Capnx - you shouldn't do weights as stated above.

You should warm-up all your muscles and do some slight stretching before playing.

8. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I do a little bit of light weights before a match sometimes, never try to fatigue yourself though.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Well, there is this concept that doing a small volume of high intensity exercises can stimulate the nervous system leading to better performance in other activities. This effect is known as potentiation. However, the key is that you understand how to balance the potentiation effects of an exercise with the fatigue effects, because you can easily do too much work and lose that effect.

10. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

It is better to swing around a Squash racket, rather than lifting weights, before a match.
    I know a guy who did weights and went to play badminton.
    He couldn't play for the next 2 months because he suffered an injury ( Tennis Elbow )

11. akn112

akn112 Regular Member

as an added question on top, how do u balance weight training with badminton. atm, im working out 5 times a week and still trying to work in as much bton as possible. There's bound to be days where i do both, Anyone have a good "schedule" their following?

12. racquetattack

racquetattack Regular Member

web sales
    Go ahead workout, I play 3 racquet sports, squash and badminton in the winter, and tennis amd squash in the summer. I work out 3 to 5 times per week. If you have a big match put some space between so your muscles are not so tight. ie: workout in morning and squash or badminton in evening. Working out after playing is always easier, just adjust your workout . If you play hard have an easier workout. Your muscles will let you know when to take it easy. If you play alot harder than you thought you would, don't workout till the next day. The better shape you are in the faster your recoverys will be. If you are playing in a tourney, don't workout for a couple days because you will sometimes have to play more than once per day. Good luck.

13. magicsushi

magicsushi Regular Member

I'm glad somebody mentioned this. I can't for the life of me find them now but I remember reading a couple of good studies on this concept, looking at basketball players who performed a single set of very heavy squats about 15 minutes prior to playing.

14. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

lols you dont do weights before a match =.='''
    that doesnt accomplish much but make you fatigued
    strengthening exercises should be done on regular basis (not before a match) but maybe a few days before, becuase it allows your muscle fibres to adapt to the new loads and let it rest.
    what you should do are stretches to stimulate your nervous system, different stretches stretch different nerves, learn that instead of doing weights before a match, stretches will increase your muscle length, allow great elasticity, greater contraction, and reduces chances of injury

15. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    Not even weight lifting will decrease your performance, you can be overtraining your muscle and used up your body fuel which can make you bonking in the match. Even for stretching, there are 2 kinds of stretching, static and ballistic stretching. The one you have to be careful is static stretching because if you do it too excessively, it can decrease your performance. Do about 15-30 secs for each moves of static stretching. All you want to do with static stretching is to stimulate the muscle and not tear it. Ballistic stretching is too loosen up the muscle and get it ready for action and won't affect your performance too much. The moves also pretty simple just shaking your hand and moving them back and forth, hug yourself repeteadly, free style swimming hand movement, light running, etc. If you see professional athletes before their match, all they do is ballistic stretching and not static.
    Hope that helps

16. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    You should do some warm-up exercise before even playing. Stretching your legs and doing a few push-ups will pump up your muscles.

17. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    Warm-up is important, push up is a good warm-up move just don't do too much reps or your muscle will get fatigued lol. :p