Service fault question

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by space-shuttler, Jun 21, 2009.

1. space-shuttler

space-shuttler Regular Member

I've just watched the Indonesian Open's mixed double final between Chinese Zheng/Ma VS Korean Lee/Lee. In one occasion when Zheng served the shuttle high to Lee HJ, the shuttle after flying past the net was obviously flying outside the reception's court area. I think Lee intercepted the shuttle where the point of contact was IMO outside her court area. Zheng's serve was immediately called fault by the umpire. I wonder what went wrong. Unfortunately no explanation from the TV commentator. So can anyone verify that a serve has to fly within the intended reception court area even in mid air as soon as it passes the opponent's front service line? In other words, the serve cannot come in from out of bound. I have actually observed such occasion several times in doubles' games, but checking with the official badminton rules come to avail. I had played a casual double game where one player loves to serve near the side of his court and serve the shuttle flying past his opposite court area before landing in his diagonally opposite court area. This service style rendering the reception in a very awkward situation. When I tried to tell him the serve is illegal, he said the rules didn't say that!

2. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    i havent seen the match but they maybe moved before the shuttle was hit?

3. space-shuttler

Quite unlikely because the fault was called on the service side. Usually the move before serve fault is committed by the receiving side.

4. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

What you described in the first post is not illegal. Most likely, her racket was just above her waist or was not angled in a downward direction.

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Not true. The service can fly in any direction, as long as it eventually hits the ground inside the service area.

No, it's a legal serve. You won't see it in high level games because it leaves a serious weakness--if you can manage to return it with a drop shot down the line, then there's noone there to cover that part of the court. It's annoying if you haven't seen that sort of serve before. But you just have to get used to it, and learn to return it well enough that he decides not to serve that way in the future!

6. space-shuttler

Thanks for your verification. Seems like I just have to cope with these shrewd players!

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

He's correct. The serve is not illegal (unless he's violating some other law, such as the shuttle-below-waist rule), but it is tactical suicide if the receiver knows how to deal with it. Yet working out the solution is quite a puzzle!

You need to adjust your ready position so that you are farther back in the court, with your body more-or-less square-on to the server. You can now smack down his silly drive serve with a round-the-head smash. :)

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    simply just something that the person who served did a mistake when serving. 1. her left hand (if she's righty) moved with the racquet, like a motion of just throwing the bird over.
    2. she did not make 1 serve motion.
    and 3. i don't know the judge just being a hoe, don't know