An alternate for Arc 10 - doubles only

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mark A, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

OK, I've just bought (and am in the process of returning) a counterfeit Nanospeed 9000X, but now I'm in mind to get a backup/alternate to my Arc 10 for use in doubles. I've gone through the phase of using head-heavy sledgehammers (Armortecs and Woven 7) and I'm now looking for something

Even balance (or slightly head-light);
    Stiff as a board - stiffer than an Arc 10 anyway;
    In the YY 3U weight class;
    NOT Yonex.

I'm leaning towards Victor nowadays, as they are significantly cheaper than Yonex and have more variety, but I'm also considering a Babolat X-Feel (most likely the Essential or Power). The Super Wave 35 has caught my eye, but I can't find ANY reviews on it, so I think it may be unreleased as yet (any beta-testers' opinions would be VERY much apreciated). If a Yonex Ti-10 fits the bill, I won't dismiss it out of hand;).

Playing style... well, I will only smash if it's a real balloon of a lift, but I have a very strong wrist snap, especially on the backhand side, which will only get stronger once I return to the gym; I'm more of a control player, but I want the power there for when I need it.

Any inputs will be received gratefully:).

2. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Mark,

Don't ignore the earlier Super Inside Waves models from Victor. I just bagged a Super Inside Wave 32 from Sweatband.com at a great price - 70 quid. It's stiff, even balanced, with excellent control. If you want more power, then consider the SIW31.

Alternatively, a fabulous racket for a control player, but with power if needed, is the Kason TSF300D. I love this racket - I have a similar style of play to yourself. And boy is it beautiful :). There is a great UK ebay supplier (yes, honest, ebay) under the name of kasonracquets or something. He's based in Derby and is reliable. He also has his own website called right-racquets or something. You can negotiate a price (expect to agree around 60 to 65 quid ;)). Again, if you want more 'welly' from your racket, consider the stiffer TSF300A. Same price.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Many, many thanks to Roy! Can anybody stack a Bab XF against the Kasons and Victors he's mentioned?

In particular, the XF Essential vs. Power has me split right down the middle. I've looked at all the numbers but they can only tell me so much - can any users put their foot down and tell me which might be the better for my style of doubles? I should have added that I play off 30 lbs, and I need something that won't snap like a Kit-Kat at the first breath of wind!

(If I didn't have such exotic tastes I might have been able to trial some of these rackets:eek:)

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i concur about the TSF300A, a great racket, can give you the power for when you need it. its not overly head heavy, in fact, i don't think its head heavy much at all. of course, i only string at 24 pounds. oh, and , i admit, it feels very slightly dead imo. the arcustec/ muscle power bumps at the top kinda impair the feel, but not significantly.

5. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Give Victor Super Wave (Super Inside Wave) 31 a try. You might like it~

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I've tried the 3UARC10 and think the APACS Tantrum 200 is an excellent replacement being as good on defense, speed and control but I find it's easier to access the power. I sold my ARC10 quite soon after I got the Tantrum200. Between the 2, the ARC10 is definitely heavier but head lighter (the BP difference is about 1.5cm for my setup).

Victors are great too but there is a difference between their European and Asian naming. My wife uses the SuperWave33C but I think the 33P will just fit your bill (I almost bought that for myself). The SW33's are both slightly headheavy but light weight (4U) so they feel very easy to swing. I do not know much about the newer models.

7. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Give woven 8 a try, a lighter 3U. Very sharp and fast racquet. I had 2 of them in my bag for a while. If I am an exclusive doubles player, that would be one of my prime choice.

Ted

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Narrowing down

Well, I've narrowed the field to Kason's TSF300A, the Victor SW31/32 and the elusive Bab XF Essential. Can anyone corroborate this rumour I'm hearing that it plays like a Nanospeed 9000 but with more power? If so, I think that'll be the winner - I loved playing with borrowed NS9k's, and the Essential is, IMO, a very, very good looking racket.

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I had the SW32 and is now using the X-Feel Power, from your racquet choices, I will say the X-Feel Essential won't be suitable as the other choices are all offensive racquets.

For Babolat X-Feel, you need to look at the Blast or the Power if you are looking at racquet that can generate decent power.

10. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Mark:

I have tried the TSF300D, very nice racquet, generate good power but rather dead in feel (may be because of the string, NBG95), would think the TSF300A be even more powerful. I find the shift on the 300D could be a bit soft compare to what you used to, again, the 300A may be different. Better try one before you decided to purchase.

Ted

11. limak

limak Regular Member

To add new items to your list...:) I can recommend SuperNano 5 and SuperNano 3 . Both very agile rackets, suitable for double. SW31 is too much head-heavy IMO and quick transitions in game are a little bit troublesome. SW35 nad SW36 will be released in August - look at www.badmintonshoponline.us, they collect pre-production orders now.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Update

Tried a Victor BS08 today and I'm not keen on it at all: too head heavy and too soft in the shaft. I felt it lacked precision and it didn't seem to suit my wrist snap very well. I then had a go of a (real;)) NS9000X and the difference was unbelievable - the slightest flicks of the wrist sent shuttles flying everywhere, and the balance made it very responsive and co-operative.

Seems we have a winner - now I've just got to FIND one...:mad:

13. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

hehe, good for you. you must be beastly. i cant even harness half the power of a NS9KX.
    happy smashing!

14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i reckon it'd be hard to find a genuine ns9k on a 40 quid budget, unless it's really battered.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Actually, I'm prepared to get a new or very nearly new one now (couple of sweet eBay sales have fed the coffers) - budget is now around £90; I'll shut my somewhat optimistic thread in B&S and start a fresh one:D. If the Arc 10 goes for decent money I might even get a second...

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hmm - Ti-10?

I'm having trouble finding a new NS9000X that won't break the bank, so I'm looking at alternatives - can somebody please stack a Titanium 10 (yellow or purple) against one? I keep finding conflicting reports on the balance and stiffness...

17. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Mark,

Why have you abandoned the Victors ?? The head heavy Broadswords were never gonna be your cup of tea. But the stiff even balance models may be ideal.

By the way, when I read about you falling in love with the NS9KX, I did wonder if you had become obsessed with it's awesome power and forgotten you were mainly looking for a control racket with good power :rolleyes:

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Heh, I'll admit the NS9X's power is... seductive, but from some reason it felt very "tight" in my hands - placement and control were never a problem; I guess I underestimated my own improvement;). I was very pleasantly surprised at how easily it turns smashes off line, for example.

If Victor does a head light racket with a comparable stiffness I'll gladly take it (since it will be substantially cheaper than any Yonex). Watching for emerging details on the SW35 - can't even get stiffness and balance details atm.

Looking at Dink's reviews, the Ti-10 is very comparable to the NS9X w.r.t stiffness and balance, but it's a) still available and b) miles cheaper. I wish to god I could demo one:(.

Btw, Roy, St Helens is currently enjoying an ungodly hot summer - I've been out to town three times this week and beeen burnt three times. My father is going to Krakow for a stag do this weekend, so we'll see how it compares...:D

19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I find the Ti-10 much more forgiving and less stiff than the NS9000X....while it's even balance it's heavyish overall, so it's not really similar to the NS9000X that much... however it's extremely powerful.

20. roy b

roy b Regular Member

Seems that the SW 35 & 36 and Broadsword 10 & 11, due soon, will be head heavy sticks, so maybe not what you are looking for. As are the current SW 33's. That would leave the very well balanced SW32, but this won't have the type of power that you are looking for.

I think it's gonna be difficult to find a racket that is ultra stiff, head light and with tons of power, that is ideal for a more controlling, defensive player. The NS9000S, not X, may have been a more suitable option ? Maybe you should rethink your priorities. What's most important for you ? If control, then the SW32 may well fit the bit (and it's no slouch when smashing either). If power, then the forthcoming SW35, BS10 or the current SW33P or SW31 may be what you should look at.

As regards your dad, warn him that Polish beer is STRONG (usually around 6% alc.), so be careful..... you have been warned. When he gets home, he'll probably not be in any condition to tell you about Krakow :cool:. Suffice to say, it's a beautiful town :). Regards.