Weak Smash, How to Improve ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by RR Nair, Feb 20, 2001.

1. RR Nair

RR Nair Guest

I am a badminton fan who tookup badminton at a late stage as a means of mental as well as physical fitness. My problem is a weak hand. While I have attained a good movement pattern, my smashes are not strong enough. I will be gratefull if somebody will help me with advise to improve the strength of my hand as well as the right technique to execute a perfect, powerfull and effective smash.Please tell me about workouts to improve strength of my hand also. Please tell me about any books you know on the topic.

Thanking You

Yours faithfully

RR NAIR

2. May

May Guest

Instead of using the smash, u could press it down and smash on the weak return or u could lob it.

3. Jason

Jason Guest

well, smashing isn't that hard.... it takes a while to learn but not hard at all. I have realized that smashing is just purely in the rotation and the jump. If you rotate and jump and hit the birdie at the rite angle, you should have a decent smash. the arm strength, well, that helps too but you have to watch out for that since usually, a very hard smash has very little control on it so... ;-) watch out for that. Other than that, you should be fine. also, just as a bit of advice, i find it advantageous to not smash in a singles game that much. Most singles games last very long and well, why waste your energy on a cannonball smash when your opponent will most likely get it back anyways and make you charge all the way into the net for a drop?? I usually just keep up a combination of clears and drops until my opponent give me a short high clear, with which i smash or usually...drop since usually, he's looking for a smash, the drop will pull him out of position a lot more. Well, since i am only in high school, I can't really say that my advice would be good but that is just the way that i usually play. I am at the B's level so I can't say that i'm a horrible player but....take it as it should be taken, suggestions, not absolute dictums. ;-)

jaywangsa likes this.
  4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    In order to smash properly you have to hit the bird properly.
    (I'm giving you a lesson from when I was being trained way back in the day...)
    You must keep and eye on the shuttle at all times, and never loose sight of it.
    Concentrate more on hitting the shuttle in the centre of your strings, that means do not make a wild swing at the shuttle until you're about to make contact with it, because you'll just waste your energy.
    Also depending on how you play, the smashes power is usually generated from a circular motion of the racquet. (also so you don't break your arm off while swinging) A lot of people use a side arm motion, in their swing which can lead to serious injuries down the road, and it is not maximizing the amount of strength that they have in their arm. Picture the racquet as an extension of your arm, before you attempt a high clear, or a smash. Hold your racquet high up in the air, and watch the shuttle as it is coming towards you. Do not attempt any sort of wind up, as your racquet, and your wrist is already cocked, and poised to make contact (also it will throw your timing off incorrectly). When you begin to make your swing go over your shoulder with the racquet, by pulling down on the handle, that will use the force of gravity, increasing the momentum, and swing speed of the racquet head, and at the height of your swing snap your wrist, to give the shot that extra kick downwards, and follow through completely on your shot.
    The thing with smashes is that it takes time to recover from making the shot, like May suggested earlier... perhaps you should make another shot, until you are set up nicely from a weak clear, then smash it.
    Again, I personally suggest that you work on shot technique first as this is the key to making every single one of your shots 'perfect'. Also the best defense, is always the best offense, I always say.
    When you're technique is perfected, the power will follow. It takes time, but believe me, it pays off big time.
    As for strength training... how old are you anyway? If you're still young, I suggest you probably practice your strokes with "gentle" swings of a squash racquet. This will improve both arm and especially wrist strength. I practice my swings with a 40lbs weight, but don't try that yourself, I've been weight training for 10 years, and playing since I was 3 years old. (I'm 21 now.) All in all, I suggest you practice your strokes, that way the power will flow from you having perfect timing on your shots.
    Hope this long lecture helps.
    Happy smashing!

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    one more thing...

Just one more thing I forgot to mention...
    MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN POSITION, AND THAT THE SHUTTLE IS IN FRONT OF YOU, NOT BEHIND YOU.
    By this I mean that you should make sure that the shuttle is in your swing range, and at that, make sure it's in your "optimal power zone"
    That means it has got to be in the area where you're taking your downturn on your swing, not at 90 degrees, but just a bit past that in front of you... as you're looking up at the shuttle, the shuttle should be coming at your head almost in that same direction, and then just let loose.
    Hope this helps again.
    Happy smashing!

6. Janice

Janice Guest

Re: one more thing...

Thanks Kelvin, that really helps. Do you have tips for drives and drops as well??
    I'm a fairly weak player and my drops and drives are the only thing that'll win me points. So I need to prefect it as best as I could. Thanks.

7. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

Re: one more thing...

RR Nair:

Once you have proper technique for the smash (as described by Kelvin), to improve your power you have to train a few muscles.

1. Strengthen your wrist and forearm - using weights and swinging a racket w/ its cover.
    2. In my opinion, you also require strong abdominal, shoulder, and leg muscles for a powerful smash - these muscles allow you to follow-through and complete the smashing motion. Furthermore, the abs and legs also help for quick recovery after the shot.
    3. As mentionned earlier, a powerful smash can lack control and placement. To improve these aspects, concentrate on using the wrist and proper body placement and follow-through for your shots.

Janice:

To improve your drives, you may also want to strengthen your wrist and forearm as I suggested above. The power and control for drives mainly derive from your wrist and forearm. Large swings are not required - try a tapping action. You may have to use a different grip.

If you play lots of doubles or mixed, try driving to your partner (during training) w/ 2 shuttles. This will help you focus on the shuttle and it demands quicker racket recovery. Also concentrate on your stance. Feet should be slightly more than shoulder-width apart (in my opinion) and you want to make sure your racket is up. Make sure your knees are bent and that you have a strong stance. Also, practice your range of motion for returns - the larger your range is, the better. However keep in mind that if you're out of position, a fast drive will not help much since if your opponent returns it, you won't be able to recover. Since drives are fast, it is therefore crucial to have quick and short movements.