which raquet to get

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bigredlemon, Sep 28, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I'm going to be buying a raquet soon but have no idea which one to get! I'm a casual player (almost intermediate level!?) I'm looking for something under $100 CAD in toronto... I bought my last raquet by picking up the first raquet i saw :p Gonna be more selective this time

I only play doubles btw. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the BK aero Pro Ti right now because of the larger head and that is has Ti in its name :D

what do u guys think?

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

i think you should do some research. There are other racquets with large (iso) heads. And just because it has Ti in it's name doesnt mean it will suit your liking. Just a thought for you to consider. So do some research...test out racquets...do that sort of stuff if you have the time and know people.

3. BadNewbie

BadNewbie Regular Member

School
    The Black Knight Aero Pro Ti is a great choice for you. I happen to have one right now that I got as a casual intermediate player like you. If you have extra money though, I'd strongly suggest cutting the strings and getting new ones. BG 65 or Ashaway strings work best.

By the way, in case anyone notices, I am not BadNewbie, I am his brother. I was just using his name WITH HIS PERMISSION. Just clearing things up there. People might be curious since some people here are aware that BadNewbie is a beginner and I've posted here about getting a racquet when I was an intermediate just so everyone knows.

#3 BadNewbie, Sep 28, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2002
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks for making that point clear. However, it would reflected better if BadNewbie's brother uses a different name. Then, everybody doesn't have to be confused from the very beginning.

Thanks for the cooperation. (BTW, I'm one of the moderators)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    As a diehard Prokennex fan, I recommend ProKennex Kinetic ULX (85g), very light, still powerful, very good for double player (like me, hehehehhe....)

I am not really sure if u can still find this in CAN, since I don't think I can find it anymore in US.

6. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    I've never even seen a Pro Kennex badminton racquet, here in Toronto but I have two Pro Kennex tennis racquets.

Anyway why not try Winex Ti-8 or cab 20? They are $105, $70 respectively at Lee's. Or go to Yo's at First Markham place he Just got a whole bunch of Carlton and Wilson racquets in, as well as the Yonex he's always had. I'm assuming that Carlton and Wilson are cheaper than Yonex, but I didn't really look.

7. bigredlemon

thanx for the posts. So what's the difference between the racquets (Aero Pro Ti, cab-20, and Ti-8)? everything looks the same to me.

Btw, where is Lee's or First Markham Place? I've only been to pacifc mall and commerce gate in GTA east. Do they have a web sites? I found Brown's Sports from the forum and they don't offer Winnex, but sell the cab-20 for $150 (not $70)!

8. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    That's because I said Winex cab-20 that's $70 at Lee's. Here's the website www.leesbadminton.com. First Markham place is at Fairburn and Hwy. 7 just East of Woodbine.

9. bigredlemon

ashaway strings

Well since I have no idea where to do research, I think i'll get the BK aero pro Ti then... since people here thinks its a good racquet for someone like me.

As BadNewbie's brother pointed out, the Aero pro's strings suck? I checled out the price of ashaway strings, and they start at $25 at Brown's Sports in TO. Should i just get a better racquet instead?

Ps. which asahway strings should I get?

thx for the replies!

10. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Re: ashaway strings

You can do research on this site. I've never seen a new come with decent strings. You really can't get up to Hwy. 7 and Woodbine? I've never tried Ashaway strings but you can get better strings and better stringing service if you go to Lee's or Yo's. Try the link I posted.

11. bigredlemon

Nope can't get up hwy 7 and woodbine... no car :rolleyes:
    The only badminton store mentioned in this forum thats accessible by TTC is Brown's Sports so that's pretty much my only choice. I live by the subway too so it's only 15 min away :)

I'm sure i can eventually bum a ride off someone but seems like a lot of hassle to save ten bucks on strings. Aero Pro come with strings and cover right?

I've searched this forum for info but couldn't get anything specific... everyone seems to contractdict each other... but at least more people agree Aero Pro is a deccent doubles racquet.

Reynar, i saw your post about lee's racquets. Did u end up getting one yourself at Lee's?

12. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Nope. I bought my MP77 at Yo's. If you get a racquet there you get to choose your strings. I just wouldn't trust my racquets to anyone not into badminton themselves. ie. Sport Chek.

13. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    reynar, you know how much ti7 light goes for at yo's?
    i'm going there soon to see if i can get a demo raquet...

14. bigredlemon

BIG SAVINGS AT LEES THIS WEEK

Winex cab 20 is only $30 includes tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a BK ES-80 pro ti 3... very light and stiff.... hard to get used to. My smashes were weak and aim was bad at first... but after a couple of hours, i was owning the net and smashing with fury! I think getting this racquet bumped me half a skill level :) I managed to return a lot more (almost all) of the smashes. On the downside, i have no more excuse if i miss :(

Ps. does anyone know how ridgid RF-81 is?

#14 bigredlemon, Oct 2, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2002
  15. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student

Nope, sorry. Last time I went I just got a racquet restrung for a friend of mine.

I'm guessing it's $190 though.

16. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    anyone used to train at lee's?

17. bigredlemon

their new place looks kinda small... only 4 courts?

18. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    when did they move??
    i played at a 4 court Lee's one time.. like maybe 1 or 2 summers ago..
    thats not really a new place is it?

19. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Lee's is in Markham now ... 5 courts .. training there is too expensive and far for me.. :p

20. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    where did they used to be?