New player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Balcyboy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Balcyboy

Balcyboy New Member

Education
    Hey, i'm 17 and a new player and me and my girlfriend have recently decided to take up badminton as a sport we can do together. I was just wondering how we could approach this? There's a leisure center near us however no real clubs or events that we could practise with.

I'm finding it quite hard because i'm quite a bit better then my girlfriend so obviously i'm not getting the training i want when we're playing together. Also there's so many rackets and gear/equipment needed i don't know where to start, i've been impressed with this forum so far so i thought i'd give it a shot!

Thanks !

2. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    There's many things to be emphasised on...can u state down clearly what u want to inquire? I try to give u an answer =)

3. Balcyboy

Balcyboy New Member

Education
    Well basically what's the price to play? I presume it may be expensive with new rackets and equipment but there's so many different types. There's heavier rackets and lighter rackets and so many things to take into account!

Also if/when we ever get good enough to play in a competition stage, is there any available in my area leicester or do they usually do them in a set place?

And just mainly training, how do you train? With football and other games you can train yourself to a certain extent but with badminton you need another player, and if the other player isn't really that experienced (I'm not saying that i am myself lol) it's quite hard to work at your full ability

4. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    U can start off with low end racquets that suits ur budget, in my opinion, harnest ur skills first instead of equipment. Getting very expensive and good equipments wont help much in your skills, so skills come first

About your area, i cant really help you with that, im living in Malaysia, sorry, but u can try seeking help from coaches at your area. Try to go under coaching programme, it helps

There are all sorts of training in badminton. U can hit against the wall to improve ur reflexes. Physical exercise helps strengthen ur agility and movement speed. Doing footwork helps improving ur movement around court. About the strokes, it is still advisable to find a friend which is good at it or seek for a coach

5. bryanfuller

bryanfuller Regular Member

how to select

nice selection tips.

6. Balcyboy

Balcyboy New Member

Education
    Agh that's great! Didn't think there was so many platforms to work on with training, thought it was literally just a case of hitting it over into a different area!

Thank-you so much for all the help! :D

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    If you just started badminton, you definitely need a coach to learn the game properly.