Any clubs in Perth/Adelaide, Aus.

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by gerry, Sep 29, 2002.

1. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I'm visiting Perth/Adelaide for a few weeks in late November and am looking for somewhere to play, I've tried the Oz websites with no luck, anyone have any suggestions.
    I'm looking for a club where I'll fit in as I'm in my late forties, reasonably fit and play Div 1 in local leagues and also with the county vets.....I am a bit slower these days but can still play a fair game.
    Age/standard of players doesn't really matter, I just want to hit some shuttles while I'm there.

Any help out there ??

2. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Really?

Try http://www.badmintonsa.org.au/clubinfopage.htm

I played in Adelaide a couple of times, wasn't that impressed, but apparently they have a really strong Vets comp.

Don't know much about Perth clubs, the times I was there I played with friends or WAIS people.

3. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Thanks Pecheur, I did find that site and think I may have found somewhere to play.

Don't they play in Perth !!!! or is it just badly advertised.....maybe they don't like visitors. ;-))

BTW what is WAIS ? Western Australia I...... S........... is it inter state ?

4. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Well I can't say much about Perth since I don't know, this site: http://home.iprimus.com.au/milennias/ seems okay.

WAIS is Western Australian Institute of Sport, basically we have institutes of sport where "elite" atheletes get trained.

5. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

So doesd nobody know about any good clubs in Perth? My mate is shortly going to move out there and wants some games, mainly singles. His doubles is very bad. He went along to the Kingsway Stadium but also wants to play at a club and get into coaching. PM me if you're shy.

6. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Slanter, find Edwin Chew at Kingsway stadium on Wednesday evenings from 6pm to 8pm he coaches there. He's one of the top singles player in Perth too. He coaches on Saturday 10.30am too at Kingsway. You'll get to play some singles in those coaching sessions too.

If you want to meet a couple of ex-international players, go to Balcatta Senior High sch on Thursday night from 8pm to 10+ Zhang Ailing will be there with her husband Changji ;) On that night they use two courts to coach and another two courts for other's to have a doubles game. They also open the place for doubles games on Sunday at 2pm till about 4.30 or 5. The gym is at the back of the sch. You can probably get a game of singles close to the end of the sessions if you ask Ailing or Changji nicely ;) they're nice people. They might even let u play with their son if you ask for it :rolleyes: I had my share of a beating from him :p

If you want to be in a rowdy group, you can go to Rossmoyne Senior High sch on Thursday night at 8pm to 12pm latest. Lots of people go there to play doubles, you will find people of all level there, from the amateurs to the professionals of Perth. Curtin Badminton Club plays on Sunday morning there too, from 10am to about 1pm where another group takes over the courts. The courts are also at the back of the sch, you could PM Zhi if you want to go there, he goes there every thursday night and sunday morning.

And oh... i dont live in perth anymore, left about a month ago :p so dont bother asking me to be ur guide :D

edit: incase you don't know... Ailing was a former 2 times All Englands champ!! Forgot what title Changji got but he was also a champ! :D They give really good coaching too, you gotta try it out.

#6 Iwan, Sep 25, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  7. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
  8. bloke

bloke Regular Member

Hi Gerry,

I live in Perth and u can play with us. We usually play on Wed nites from 8.15pm - 11.00pm at the hall on the corner of Warwick Rd and Marmion Ave, Duncraig. We're a mixed bunch of players but you should get a few a decent games. It's the Sorrento Duncraig Badminton Club and we have 4 courts down there (mainly doubles). :)

9. sagara0510

sagara0510 Regular Member

Student
    Late november??

well then the Curtin Badminton Club is out of the question because they close for the summer....if you are still going to be in perth next year around March, that is when the start up again i think.

i know the UWA badminton club still plays on wednesday nights...starts at 7.30 i think and costs $6.50

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hehe, maybe I'll drop by. Thinking about May 2004;)

11. sagara0510

sagara0510 Regular Member

Student
    yeah?? come by then :)

i'm pretty involved with the Curtin Badminton Club so let me know when u are in town :)

there will probably be some more tournaments held by the club next year as well...with some pretty good players.. :)

how long will you be staying in Perth??

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

A few days at the most.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    UWA is the best place to play so far. I don't know their schedule now but last time they use to play every Wed and Fridays. The rest of the days is for basketball. Nice court though. Wood. Sagara... they charge 6.50 now? When i used to play last time.. i only pay 4 or 5 bux only. Can't remember .. its been a long time.

14. haven

haven Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    The places Iwan mentioned are still active...

Curtin Badminton club has recently started a league of sorts
    every Sunday morning... it's team based...

Check out these websites too:
    UWA Badminton Club- http://www.arach.net.au/~shortbell
    Curtin Badminton Club- http://www.curtinbadmintonclub.com/

I play at the UWA Badminton Club & the Sunday sessions at
    Balcatta Senior High School :D

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How far are these places away from the city centre? I'll be staying on Hay street

16. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Thanks guys to the answer my original question but this was posted in Sept 2002, I visited Adelaide and Perth....In Adelaide I found a good badminton centre called the South Australia Badminton Accademy to the south of the city I think, they had a very helpful coach/pro there.

I aslo found a sports hall with about 10 courts somewhere to the north of Perth, the standard was low but friendly, there were some national (alledgely) young players playing on a court but was told that they don't join in with the rest of the players there, shame as I could have given them a game no problem but I suppose from their point of view all they could see was an slightly overweight grey haired old guy.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I'll be there in Perth in 4 weeks time!! Wonder how much time I can use to sneak off and play badminton ;)

18. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Not coming to Melbourne Cheung? :(

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Try some australian noughats and apple strudel best in perth

20. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Not to mention the beer, vegemite and the bloody flies! :cool: