Whats a good racquet for me

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Coglin, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Coglin

Coglin Regular Member

Hi all,
    I am planning on getting a new racquet or two. I believe intermediate user who tend to play more doubles than singles, but do like to improve on both. Currently I am using Yonex Isometric 96 VF 3U with a really slack string (16-19 lbs), but I found that my smashes still do pack a decent punch.

Right now, I am looking at Yonex MP 100(slightly out of my range.. anyone know where I can get it around $200? CAD), 99(can't seem to find a place to buy), 88, 77(prolly my best bet?), and maybe Ti10. I am also open to other Suggestions. Also, what types of Strings do you guys recommend?

Thanks ahead of time

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Just be aware that once u get ur new racket,, I assume that u will put much more tension on that (let's say 23+). then, it will give u some trouble to control.

I think Ti and MP are very powerful racket, out of control maybe a serious issue for a while. This happened to a guy in my club, and forced him to switch back to his old racket after 2, 3 months of nightmare. Plus, he's not a rookie at all, he was good before.

Good luck.

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    mp88 might be too head-light for you in singles and also it has no power. Don't know if you want to consider it. I've rarely seen people use mp100 in doubles since it's an expensive racquet and people don't want to break it in case of clanging.

Have you check out the Iso Ti-Swing Power SS? It's a pretty good racquet w/ good power and control. It's about $145USD so it's around your price range. Um also try mp77, Ti-7 long, Ti-7 light, all around that price range and they are all overall balanced racquet.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
  5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

I reckon the best way to decide what to buy, is to try them out yourself at your local club!

(Jeeze people HAVE been borrowing my rackets lots lately to try out since I opened my gob last month.....;) )

6. Coglin

Coglin Regular Member

badmintonpage.com seems to be down now:(
    just ordered a MP99 for 240 CND. Still debating whether I want a MP100 or Swingpower TI SS though

7. Coglin

Coglin Regular Member

oh, and I have read a few reviews about MP77(Which is on sale right now for $170 CDN) and they seem to be contradictory. many say its powerful but lack control and manuverability... is this true? How does MP 77, compare to my old racquet the good old Isometric 96 VF in terms of control and feel?

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    mp99 is fairly comparable to Ti-Swing power SS and both of these are more maneuverable than mp100, well, that's what I've been hearing. Curious, where did you purchase your mp99?

9. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    There are contradictory reviews about everything.:) I believe the MP77 is stiffer than your 96vf so control may be difficult at first. I say its a much better racquet. My old racquet was a 3U aerotus 110, but after getting used to it, I think that my 2U MP77 has more power, control and is just as manoeuvrable.

In Toronto the ISO TI-SP is around $230. If you're looking for $200 look at Ti-7, MP77. Or why not try Forza Ti Tech 600 or Winex racquets? I haven't tried them but I hear good things. It's best if you try them out first to see what you like.

Oh and I like BG 68-Ti strings.

10. Coglin

Coglin Regular Member

I ordered my mp99 from the local Source for sports outlet. At first they wanted to charge me 290 for it, but I got it down to 240, which isn't bad. Although we have 2 source for sports here (I'm in New Brunswick, for those of you in Canada...I know, not much badminton around here:\) and the other store was going to charge me $380 for mp 100... :)

Cog

11. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    people play badminton in new brunswick??

lol ..

12. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    DAMN! I can't really help you in New Brunswick. Why not try Forza racquets? https://pacific.smartt.com/prizmsports/n_index.html Their most expensive racquet is just $270 and they have other good racquets for cheaper.

I had no idea badminton was so expensive in NB.

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Winex is another option

You can always try the Winex line of racquets. Have equivalent MP models known as the Mighty Muscle

I have four models and they are the MM200, MM100, MM90 and the MM50. The MM50 is oval head frame whereas the rest are isometric.

Prices ranged from CAD$90.00 to CAD$160.00 (unstrung) + taxes and shipping should be around $10.00 or so.

:)

#13 Winex West Can, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2002
  14. Coglin

Coglin Regular Member

I think its only expensive because people think they can get away with it. But you can always drag the prices down. I negotiated the mp99 price down from 280 to 240, which I think is somewhat reasonable. Over all I think most of the prices are similar to that of the west. e.g. they are selling mp 77 for 179 (unstrung).. and its the same store that was going to special order a Mp100 for 380 for me till they realize that I was actually laughing at them.:)

Cog

15. siggy

siggy New Member

student
    I find the Forza Titanium Tech 600 Special to be a really nice racket, go to www.prizmsports.com for more about it :D