Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ankle Injury :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chichee View Post
    I am in the same situation!

Went over my left ankle coming down from a jump smash too and boy did it hurt! Ankle swelled up and x-rays the next day showed no break or fracture.

It's been 3 weeks to the day now and the area is still slightly larger than the same area on my right ankle, so the swelling is still present. However, I have full movement with no pain unless someone grabs it (and believe me someone has tried!!) and jolts it violently! I can walk for a prolonged period of time with no discomfort but will not be playing badminton until I am confident it is 100% ok.

I am going to try some light jogging either tomorrow or Thursday to see how the ankle copes with that.

I've been some reading from this site and it seems very useful.

Sprained ankle rehabilitation
    Proprioception Exercises
    Plyometric Drills for ankle strengthening
    the swelling in your ankle will be there for quite a while...even when it has fully healed. Soft tissue damage takes 6-10 to repair so it will swell for a good 2 months after your injury. It will slowly subside as your ankle heals fully.

And just some advice from me id wait 1 more week before you start running on it. My physio forced me to wait it out till 4 weeks before i returned to gym for some light cycling and jogging. And im please she did. I seem to be recovering even quicker now.

Its been 6 weeks for me now and i had my first game last night. Went quite well. I cant push off as fast or as strong as i would like. But hopefully another couple of weeks of light movements and the strength should return.

Id say right now im sitting at about 85% recovered. Main thing i have to concentrate on for now is balance excersises. Most people dont know it but when you sprain your ankle there are actually nerves damaged which control your balance.

The recovery process continues!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice there bradmyster! Waiting another week is a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not fair! its been 4 weeks for me now and it still hurts and i dont have full movement back I can walk about 10 steps before I have to stop because of the pain and cramp in my calf. My physio thinks it'll be another 4 weeks before I can think about running and 6 before badminton :\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badminter View Post
    Not fair! its been 4 weeks for me now and it still hurts and i dont have full movement back I can walk about 10 steps before I have to stop because of the pain and cramp in my calf. My physio thinks it'll be another 4 weeks before I can think about running and 6 before badminton :\
    Sounds like your injure was a bit more severe. Mine was only a grade 1 tearing of 1 of the ligaments in my left ankle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I went for a run earlier, nothing major and probably only around 2-3miles and I am pleased to say that it feels absolutely fine. It was street running and so had to deal with the change in terrain and the vast variation of the surface of the road.

I will be keeping this up tomorrow too, maybe go during the the afternoon. But I won't be picking up a racket till next week.

The only way is up now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chichee View Post
    Well I went for a run earlier, nothing major and probably only around 2-3miles and I am pleased to say that it feels absolutely fine. It was street running and so had to deal with the change in terrain and the vast variation of the surface of the road.

I will be keeping this up tomorrow too, maybe go during the the afternoon. But I won't be picking up a racket till next week.

The only way is up now!
    Glad to here. My ankle is still only about 85% - 90% strength. But i have my first tournament this weekend since the injury so should be a bit of fun and see how i go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with your tournament mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping you get well soon mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arm injury is now healed and restrengthening. Ankle feels about a solid 90% now. So starting next week im going to get back into weight training. Restrengthen my muscles so that they have less chance of failing on me again haha.

3 weeks till Next tournament!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is good to hear bradmyster! Good luck with the weight training in preparation for your next tournament!

I feel that my ankle is feeling very good now but due to me completing my tattoo, I haven't played this week. Which is good news because I will have rested my ankle for 6 weeks!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've played badminton twice this week and I am not putting 100% into it due to a little doubt at the back of my mind regarding my ankle. I am sure after a few weeks, I will return and be able to spring off my ankle much better and like before.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I guess..

..you're nearly healed, bradmyster!
    I've rolled both of my ankles, once before, but never had to have a cast put on (both took abt 5-6 weeks to fully heal)...
    Best wishes on your road to recovery and start of training again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..you're nearly healed, bradmyster!
    I've rolled both of my ankles, once before, but never had to have a cast put on (both took abt 5-6 weeks to fully heal)...
    Best wishes on your road to recovery and start of training again!
    thanks kindly ctjcad!!! Back into my second week of hard training and holding up quite well. Slowly learning to jump again haha still cant get very much height due to all the leg strength iv lost. But its returning.

hopefully ill be in good shape by the end of the year and ready to take on the Major tournaments in my state for 2010!!!! and nationals ofcourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default twisted ankle

if i twist my ankle slightly, what should i do immediately after i twist the ankle? should i just rest and let it recover by itself and apply ice pack frequently?
    how to diff if there is fracture or crack with twisted ankle?
    thanks

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dub1111 View Post
    if i twist my ankle slightly, what should i do immediately after i twist the ankle? should i just rest and let it recover by itself and apply ice pack frequently?
    how to diff if there is fracture or crack with twisted ankle?
    thanks
    If you're able to walk on it, then most likely there's no fracture.
    However, if there is immediate swelling and bruising (ie. hematoma), then most likely there's a tear, either partial or complete, in the ligament... which would definitely require medical attention.

Icing is always a good idea, especially immediately after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2