Gripper isn't working?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by krisss, Jun 24, 2009.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hi,

I have purchased the Pro's Pro Shuttle Express from a BC member.
    I have set it up , but when I turn the "left handed tensioner" or the "knob thing you spin around" back - the gripper is supposed to tighten slightly?

But mine does not?

Any solutions?

Thankyou :)

2. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    I believe you have to manually push the gripper to tighten it, then rotate the crank (if I understand what you are saying). This seems to apply for all of the cranks that I have seen, as well as my own machine.

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmmm this doesnt work for me , as when I place the string in the gripper , and rotate the crank back , the "brake" is supposed to pop out. But this does not happen with me?

Any more help?

Thankyou for trying :)!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did the string get tensioned? ie. did the gripper successfully grip the string?

5. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    yeah i think i had the same problem,,,,so once you put the string in the gripper start cranking it back the little knob that you push in to start tension should pop out and activate the brake but your is poping out but the brake is not activating is that the problem,,,little unsure on your problem,,is my asumption right

6. jjlow

jjlow Regular Member

wait a minute,mean you just place your string in the gripper but never tighten the gripper around the string?

7. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Kriss when you put the string between the gripper, you suppose to push the gripper toward the string until it close/grip the string and start tensioning. once there is a bit of tension on the string, the gripper will grip the string.. but it won't grip the string only by turning the handle

8. krisss

krisss Regular Member

No :-( (15 charachters)

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Sort of , say if I have placed the string in the gripper and at a right angle. Then I begin to turn the crank handle back , the gripper should tighten and the brake should pop out. But when I try and place the string in the gripper and at a right angle and pull the crank machine back - my machine neither grips the string or the brake pops out :-( , any solutions?

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Even when I do this , the gripper neither clamps the string or the brake pops out. I am trying to video the problem but this will be a slow process.

11. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    The brake will not pop out if the gripper does not grip the string because the string will never be tensioned. Will be waiting for a video to see what you mean.

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I will try and get a video up as soon as possible. Although it is going to be of a low quality - camera phone!

Do you want the video in any specific way?

Just need to buy a cable from my phone to the computer so I can upload it to some website!

13. jjlow

jjlow Regular Member

ok try this....the machine's racket frame supports are furthest from you.the string gripper is closest to you.when you put the string between the gripper,push the gripper forwards away from your body.it should clamp the string.only push the gripper.make sure the crank does not move forward also.
    another reason may be the screw at the end of the grippper is screwed in too deep.loosen it more

14. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
  15. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    sorry i misunderstood the question this is not the same problem....dont really know how to help you may be try taking the machine appart and having a closer look just a suggestion

16. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm yes I understand. Will post the video up as soon as possible.

The gripper works , but only when I am pushing it forwards as soon as I let go the gripper releases the string. And say if i push the gripper forwards manually then try and spin the tensioner back the brake does not "pop" out. So the string is not tensioned.

When the question was put -"the gripper is not working" I meant , I can do it manually but when I try and hold the string without the gripper it does not work.

17. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I've just emailed W&D to see if they could help me . And I am currently working on the video.

I am going to re-assemble the machine , and do everything again , and give it a few more shots.

Then I will post the video up ASAP!:(

Anyway anyone else had a problem like this?

Or any possible solutions I can give a shot at?

Thankyou!