Wrapping new overgrip on a new racquet

Discussion in 'Grip' started by adrian0604, Jun 25, 2009.

1. adrian0604

adrian0604 Regular Member

Hi guys, when you bought a new racquet, there is a plastic wrap that covers the original grip. I would like to put a overgrip but I want to know if you guys usually leave the plastic wrap on and wrap the overgrip, or do you guys rip off the plastic wrap first and then wrap the overgrip?? Thanks.

2. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

So you mean the protective plastic wrapper?

I can't imagine many people would adda grip on top of that as it'll be prone to movement in your hand & you want the racquet as stable as possible when your grip is solid.

I tend to take all the grips off back to the wood. I then use Gauze grip which is pretty thin/light so can build up the grip size gradually, It doesn't have much give either so when you put the final grip layer on top it doesn't feel mushy or spongy in your hand.

Best bet is to get the racquet in the grip size that best suits you. There's a sweet point that gives you a comfortable grip & still allows you to snap the racquet using grip/finger techniques.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Definitely take off the plastic wrapping. It's there to keep the original grip in good condition before the racket is sold. ;)

4. adrian0604

adrian0604 Regular Member

hey guys thanks for the reply!!! i took off my plastic wrapping and put the Yonex Super Grap over it and it felt great!!!

5. Xhan_

Xhan_ Regular Member

oh damn, i didn't remove the plastic cover in my racket, and added overgrip. it wont affect anything right?

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    If you are evil and want to sell the racquet afterward because you won't like it anymore, don't take off the plastic wrap and put the overgrip on.

If you are good and will be keeping the racquet forever, remove the plastic wrap and put the overgrip over it.

It's your path; you choose.

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I have 3 practices depend on my plan for the racquet.
    1) Demo racquet to sell as used in the future. (usually come with no shrink wrap) I use the plastic protection as an under layer then apply the over grip. I find that some overgrips will stick to original grip when removed.
    2) Personal racquet. I will remove the shrink wrap and apply a new food wrap as an under wrap then apply the over grip.
    3) New racquet for customer demo. I keep the original wrap and apply over grip. In case customer want some thing else and I can still sell it as a used one in mint condition.

IMHO, I feel the over grip over the bare orginal grip is the best. However these are from my experience.
    1) More protection with some work to put on and take off when replace old overgrip. (regular condom)
    2) Best feeling compare to bare original with over grip. (sheep skin or ultra thin)
    3) Extra protection for resale value. (Gold coin. Nothing get through this)
    :confused::eek::D

8. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    want to hear something funny? well there was this kid who never listened to me to remove the plastic that came with the racquet, well one day his mom asked me to put over grip on it for him and i wasl like sure, turns out that the plastic can go yellow and start to stick to the grip if you leave it on too long lol who knew?

9. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    are there other benefits of removing the original black grip under the plastic wrap as compared to leaving it on and putting on the overgrip? besides the size/thickness obviously.

10. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Thicker handles make it easier to swing a heavier racket. The downside is the wrist snap/pronation is significantly hindered.