Can Chun Seang Do It??

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009' started by danielwong, Jun 25, 2009.

1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Friday June 26, 2009, The Star

Chong Wei challenges Chun Seang to rise to the occasion

REPORTS by RAJES PAUL

MALAYSIA’s world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has thrown a challenge to younger compatriot Tan Chun Seang to get into the men’s singles semi-finals of the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold championships at Bandaraya Stadium.
    The duo together with veteran Wong Choong Hann were the three Malaysians who won their third round matches yesterday to advance to the quarter-finals.
    Top seed and Indonesia Open champion Lee Chong Wei displayed great show of craft at the net and ruthless smashes to beat China’s Zhou Wenlong 21-18, 21-4 in 30 minutes.
    He could have finished off Wenlong even quicker if not for a flurry of mistakes in the first game when he was leading 17-12.
    “I gave away many points at that stage but they were minor setbacks. There is nothing to be worried about. I feel quite confident of my game thus far and I don’t see any problem clearing my quarter-final match,” said Chong Wei, who will play against former Asian junior champion Tago Kenichi of Japan today.
    Chong Wei was happy to see elite back-up shuttler Chun Seang also making it to the quarter-finals. Chun Seang defeated former national player Yeoh Kay Bin 21-16, 21-13.
    The world No. 75, who is gunning for a first semi-final appearance in an Open tournament since joining the national team in 2004, will take on China’s Chen Long.
    The 21-year-old Chen Long, who sent second seed Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia packing in the first round, continued his march with an easy 21-5, 21-11 win over India’s Arvind Bhat in the third round yesterday.
    “I am pleased to see at least one of our back-up boys making it this far,” said Chong Wei. “But I will be happier if Chun Seang can get into the semi-finals. This is a chance for him to rise to the occasion and I hope he will pull it off.
    “Chun Seang is looking more confident after making it to the team for the Sudirman Cup (world mixed team championships in Guangzhou in May). It was a good experience for him there.”
    Choong Hann defeated Kuan Beng Hong 21-19, 21-16 to advance to a tricky quarter-final match against China’s back-up player Gao Huan.
    The other quarter-final match today is between Indonesian Andre Kurniawan Tedjono and Hu Yun of Hong Kong.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For a second..

..(upon reading this thread's title) i thought Chun Seang had changed his last name from "Tan" to "Can"...:p
    Can do what?? Win the MS title??..:confused:

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

either you cannot understand the newspaper article or you didnt read it...:cool::cool:.... LCW hope TCS can at least reach Semi of Msia GP...

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

tan chun seang will play agaisnt chen long later..;)
    let's see what will happen.. i think the chinese holds the upper hand..:D
    i think it will end up as the same story:p

5. yyclub

yyclub Regular Member

Five years ago who will think LCW can be ranked world no1? CS or CL can be champion of future, both are talented player.

6. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, U r right....

but at present, CL is still way better than TCS....just hope TCS to steal one game off CL.........:D

7. panasonic_chai

panasonic_chai Regular Member

i agree CL still better than CS
    CL is physically bigger and more confident than CS
    not to mention better fitness

lets hope younger players like iskandar, ckb, darren can improve to be world class player soon

8. flying kangaroo

flying kangaroo Regular Member

Accountant
    Yes, he can !!

I have the feeling TCS is going to prove once and for all, he is the front man amongst the back up players. CL is not easy to beat, he hates to lose and is mentally tough. Both Taufik and LCW tried to put in extra miles towards the last few points but CL survived the onslaught. Still, I pick TCS to do it tonight in 3 sets.

9. simonlovers

simonlovers Regular Member

Dream comes true...TCS steal one game..

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Good for him and his badminton career..........:p

11. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Unfortunately it was CL who did it in 3 sets. Still, I think TCS has done well to stretch CL. He must interact with LCW more, make LCW his inspiration. He is our next best hope for the moment.

12. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    Wong chung han please BEAT CL !! i want a malaysian event !! MAS VS MAS what a match

13. kkkfans

kkkfans Regular Member

Student
    sure he can do it..
    i will always support him in my heart^^

14. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    unfortunately Tan C S was beaten...

15. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    he put up a good fight ... give the chinese a run for their money

i just hope WCH can fight ....

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yes, at least he did gave chen long a run for his money..;)

17. Chibot

Chibot Regular Member

TCS has been lost

18. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Just a thought. I was wondering if LCW put that challenge out to Tan Chun Seang, hoping that TCS would beat Chen Long. Since LCW has lost to Chen Long before and hoping that some would eliminate him before the finals.

It's just a thought. Not trying to put LCW down or anything.

19. flying kangaroo

flying kangaroo Regular Member

Accountant
    LCW is not scared of CL who is at the most WCH's level. WCH will beat him tonight. What LCW is trying to get at is he thinks TCS is at the same level as CL and with home ground advantage, TCS might "just do it" which he nearly did!! I think after this tourney, TCS will surpass poor Hafiz as Malaysia's other singles player

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CL's very ordinary against TCS. That's because he has not rote trained against him. The reason CL can beat TH is because CL must have trained with TH clones many times so that when it comes to the real TH, the shots CL played have been tested to be effective.
    Actually, TCS's netplay unnerved CL and showed that CL's net skills cannot be sustained for the duration of a game.In G3, TCS should have won the match if he had continued with his net advantage.(He should watch the video of how Saina beat WL in IO. WL's weakness in front court play was exposed once her confidence was eroded. Saina just focussed on that area in G3 to win the match.) But he tried to experiment in the closing stages and lost patience and the match. Really he should train intensively for finishing and he will win more matches.
    Of course CL's more dangerous to LCW than TCS because CL would similarly have rote trained for LCW, like he did against TH. But if WCH does not lift much today, CL would not be able to play with confidence.
    CL is TCS level, nothing to shout about.