Wrist injured

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by singchaii, Jun 27, 2009.

1. singchaii

singchaii Regular Member

Car Technician
    I need to get some advise. I injured my wrist last 3 month until now it still haven't recover. My wrist getting pain whenever I smash or bend my wrist during badminton game. Anyway to get it recover faster?

2. jensen9173

jensen9173 Regular Member

The only way is to stop playing badminton untill it fully recover. Also better check with doctor.

3. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

could be carpal tunnel. should get it checked since the problem has become chronic.

4. singchaii

singchaii Regular Member

Car Technician
    carpal tunnel? Will wear wrist band help? Cause if I wear wrist band, the pain is not so obvious. If i not wearing wristband, it so painful. I seek for doctor advise and doctor call me must rest for 2 months. That why see I wanna get any advise here which can recover faster. hehe

5. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

lols see a physiotherapist since this is a mechanical disorder
    wells i'm only guessing its carpal tunnel, i'm a physio student i'll try give you a diagnosis, just answer the questions below
    wrist band like a sweat band? if so it wont really do anything, it probably just makes you think its safer

1) does wrist hurt when you use your other hand to press on it?
    2) do you feel tingling? numbness? muscle weakness when grasping?
    3) does it hurt when your wrist is extended, bringing your wrist backwards?
    4) does it hurt when you bring your wrist forward, flexing it
    5) does it hurt when you are resting, eg hand on table
    6) with 2 hands, the BACK of your hands, bring them towards each other and push into each other. is there any paiN?
    7) do you use computer a lot?
    8) do you use your hands to turn things a lot?
    9) are there any other sports you do?
    10) does the pain go away after you warm up?
    11) when hand is resting on table and you wiggle your fingers is there pain>?

6. singchaii

singchaii Regular Member

Car Technician
    1) does wrist hurt when you use your other hand to press on it?
    Nope
    2) do you feel tingling? numbness? muscle weakness when grasping?
    Nope
    3) does it hurt when your wrist is extended, bringing your wrist backwards?
    Yes. It slightly pain
    4) does it hurt when you bring your wrist forward, flexing it
    Nope
    5) does it hurt when you are resting, eg hand on table
    Nope
    6) with 2 hands, the BACK of your hands, bring them towards each other and push into each other. is there any paiN?
    Nope
    7) do you use computer a lot?
    Yes
    8) do you use your hands to turn things a lot?
    Yes. cause I'm a car technician
    9) are there any other sports you do?
    Only badminton. 4 days a week
    10) does the pain go away after you warm up?
    Nope.
    11) when hand is resting on table and you wiggle your fingers is there pain>?
    Nope.

It only pain when smashing and also bend wrist alot. :crying:

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    I suggest you should just take time off from badminton. I injured my wrist a year ago, and it's still not in top condition.

At first the pain stayed with me for a few months. There was pain when doing everyday activities. It was gone after about 3 months.

After the pain faded away, I attempted to play again. The pain would come on whenever I played badminton, and my wrist would become sore for a few days after playing. The pain then disappears again. I stopped playing again for another 4 moths.

When season started, my wrist felt a lot better, but there was still pain. It became an on and off thing.

As of today, my wrist still hurts when playing. I do wear a wrist support when playing, but there is still pain.

If you don't want to make it worse, you should just quit for a while. :[

8. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

it might a tendinopathy then.

possible reasons:
    1 may had been because you suddenly increased your exercise load
    2 your smashing technique may be wrong? have it checked.
    3 or simply your over working your wrist. too much for your body to handle

the above all can lead to micro tears in your tendons.
    if you have been playing despite it hurting it is causing the tendons in your wrist to swell up, the tendon fibres are trying to heal, but are being further damaged by your continued sporting - once again leads to overuse injury.

treatment:
    i would probably say, just rest for a week no badminton or excessive wrist work
    during that week you should do range of motion exercises, simply bending and extending your wrist, but not into pain.
    also strengthening exercise of your extensor muscles, which help extend your wrist. this will help your tendon fibres realign in parallel so that forces can be transmitted efficeitnly, that way you wont be overworking your muscles. for example holding a weight and exetnding wrist, over table, 3sets of 15-20, make sure weight is heavy enough to make you tired after 15 or so repetitions.

2nd week, do more functional and sporting exercsies requiring more speed and power, so use your racket and pretend to smash at invisible shuttle, begin slowly, then pick up the pace - do not do this in first week

hopefully it will get better, good luck

but yea go see a physical therapist rather than a doctor, a doctor is more medical base and cant help you that much on this biomechanical injury - unless there is a lot of swelling etc...

9. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    could you suggest any help to strengthen wrist for me also? i am still playing about 2times a week and it is 4month now but since than it has heal a lot.

10. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

just making sure,
    question1 - so you do feel a sense of numbness???
    if yes, try compressing your wrist with your other hand again, do you feel tingles in the thumb, 2nd finger and third finger??

question2 - now look at your hands, are the muscles (the area just below the thumb) in the hand AFFECTEd, does it appear to be smaller? or flatter? less bulk? than the normal hand.

#10 bckeen, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  11. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    I had a wrist injury earlier this year from playing futsal where I stopped the ball which was kicked with full force 4 meters away. Initially there was no pain until I played badminton, I can't even do a drop after that. The pain only happens when I turn my wrist for a smash or a drop.

Since I am in KL, Malaysia and I seek alternative treatment. Firstly it was a treatment that my friend helped me. The treatment is kind of weird where he used a small bamboo stick and repeatedly hits/tapping the injured spot/area with specific amount of strength that could be quite painful due to the repeating taps. Weirdly the area around the injured spot turned red(of course) but the exact spot of the injury turns blue black. Not exactly a immediate relieve at that moment but the very next day my wrist feels so much better when playing badminton. Still feel a little bit of pain when doing drops or smashes which I can't do it at all previously.

With much lesser pain nagging I decided it should be okay. Seems like some bad luck was following me and I got my first ever ankle injury in my life (Played basketball last time, landing and stepping on others rolled my ankle but everything is good no injury) I went and look for a "tit da" sinseh literally translated from Cantonese means "iron beat" :p but this is due to the rolled ankle. So at the same time I talked to the sinseh about my wrist as well while he is tending to my ankle.

The sinseh did explained to me that 1 of the 8 bones in the wrist have slightly dislocated due to the force of the ball hitting it when I tried to stop it. I am not exactly sure which bone but searching around on the Internet, I think it is either the scaphoid or the trapezium bone in the wrist. As usual its a painful treatment but VOILA!

Now I am playing as usual again no pain nothing :)

12. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    question1 - so you do feel a sense of numbness???yes
    if yes, try compressing your wrist with your other hand again, do you feel tingles in the thumb, 2nd finger and third finger?? infact i could feel some pain when pressing 2nd and third finger backward using the other hand.It affect the wrist greatly when benting back.

question2 - now look at your hands, are the muscles (the area just below the thumb) in the hand AFFECTEd, does it appear to be smaller? or flatter? less bulk? than the normal hand. no

13. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

i think you actually a have minor case of CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME.
    pretty much at your wrist there is a little tunnel formed by some bones and tissue, inside that tunnel lies your MEDIAN nerve which supplies the sensation on your skin on your thumb, 2nd and 3rd finger.
    the MEDIAN nerve also helps you move your thumb, therefore if you have really damaged it yuo might see some atrophy of the muscles, but you appear to be okay.

2 treatments

1 - surgery for the highly serious, they feel numbness all the time, cant move hand, muscle is all weak and diminishing (not you) - usually this occurs becuase your bones arent normal or you have just seriously damaged the structures in your tunnel causing uncontrollable swelling etc...

2 - in general you cant treat carpal tunnel syndrome itself, you can only treat the predisposing problem which caused it. for example you need to get your technique checked out, are you stressing your wrists too much? - if so take a break, do you work on the computer a lot - if so are your wrists in a poor position?? your wrist position should have a little bit of extension but not too much.

i dont really know enough about the things you do to actually find out what the source is, but if you can be more self aware you can figure it out.

usually carpal syndrome is caused by poor position of the wrist and constant REPETITIVE use of it or even just your fingers moving in an awkard or poor position.

you might not notice the poor position yourself so its probably good to find a physio or something to get your predisposing problem fixed.

#13 bckeen, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  14. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Ok thanks for the help. it certainly help giving more rest and i did discover during one previous session the pain was gone but then the pain came back slightly.:crying: Well it did give me a peace of mind after your reading your explanation. (not case 1!)

What surprise me was i tried playing with a heavier racket and played control much better than before. :D I was guessing i was using too much wrist flexing distance then and now i compensate with shorter and more heavier stroke.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you want to get a better diagnosis, you need to be a little more specific about the location of the numbness and the location of pain!!

16. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

good, lets hope that was what was leading to your excessive overuse of your wrist, but yea get your technique checked properly. i used to have the wrong technique for my overhead stroke and it lead to shoulder injury, after i learnt it the injury never came back :) - same as for lunging, i used to lunge wrong and i got pain in my knee, used to tape it up, now its all fine now that i know how

enjoy your badi

17. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Looking at my right hand palm down, it is at the wrist bent directly below the 2nd and middle finger where pain/strain will occur.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Better be careful here. There are three people asking for advice. 77suns - you haven't told us how you injured the wrist in the first place and it's better if you answer all the questions bckeen put down earlier this thread. What about the location of the numbness?

19. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

man i just injured my wrist tonight playing doubles. luckily it's not my racketholding hand.

partner did a drop shot from the back, saw the guy move in to net to do a netshot, so i lunged to the right side of net, the guy did a crosscourt drop, so i dove crosscourt and landed on my left wrist :( for a minute i think i was in shock and was really hurt. when i try to rotate it, i think i heard a click/crack. but i don't think it's broken, b/c i can still rotate it now. just very painful :(

20. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Thanks for noting mod.
    Injured doing overhead drop/smash using too much wrist. Not much of numbness but strain that is looking at my right hand palm down, it is at the wrist bent directly below the 2nd and middle finger extending to the 2nd finger. Oh i did answer bckeen question but put my answer in his quote, perhaps was unnoticed.

Strain/numbness felt when flexing wrist back on overhead stroke like clear and will go off when warm up.When putting both palm together i can still feel the strain in the area bold above.

I have adapted to a more defensive play and is actually quite a good learning curve, somehow i am playing much better. I will let my case closed and give my wrist more rest. Thanks everyone for the great support.

#20 77suns, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009