User Tag List

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Will ZN/ZYL do double duties?

Obviously, ZN/ZYL is the hot favourite to win XD gold in Rio.

But can ZYL also qualify in WD for Rio? Who will she partner with? TQ or someone else?

Will ZN's venture in the MD with FHF affect his performance in XD? Is it too much of a risk? Can he have his cake and eat it too?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A couple of Chinese sportswriter have spoken out unfavourably of Zhang Nan playing both XD and MD , esp after seeing how physically stretched he was and the possible injury risk involved as happened to him at the INA Open PSS and subsequent withdrawal from a tournament later.

But surprisingly they weren't that against Zhao Yunlei doing the same in XD and WD, perhaps it was reckoned less taxing on her than on the man, rightly so I think. It also didn't help that Zhang Nan's foray into MD has yet to yield the desired result, a SS title win, no less; that injury scare is also doing him a disservice.

Whereas ZYL can/could win in XD and WD; therefore it's not advisable for both ZN and ZYL to do double duties but alright for ZYL alone. I'm very much inclined to agree with this view. The fact that LYB and coaches have yet to endorse ZN's persistent request to do double duty for the Rio Olympics points to their indecision as yet or reluctance for the time being, I think.

Imagine, if both Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei do double duty, and one of them unfortunately sustained an injury, then two disciplines, i.e. XD and either MD or WD, would be affected, jeopardising their Olympic goals substantially. That is too much of a risk for Team CHN to take, I believe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    It also didn't help that Zhang Nan's foray into MD has yet to yield the desired result, a SS title win, no less.
    He and Fu did win the Denmark Open last year. Your point is still valid, though. I'm sure they were hoping for more than just one SS and one GPG from this pair.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
    He and Fu did win the Denmark Open last year. Your point is still valid, though. I'm sure they were hoping for more than just one SS and one GPG from this pair.
    MD is super competitive and not easy at all at the very top, especially with pairs like LYD/YYS, Ahsan/Setiawan, Ko/Shin, Madsx2, etc. And it doesn't help that Fu is so inconsistent to become the deciding factor whether they win or lose.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot about their Denmark PSS title, I stand corrected, thanks. True, still far from convincing. I'm sure they themselves as well as their coaches, LYB et al, expect much more from them.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    MD is super competitive and not easy at all at the very top, especially with pairs like LYD/YYS, Ahsan/Setiawan, Ko/Shin, Madsx2, etc. And it doesn't help that Fu is so inconsistent to become the deciding factor whether they win or lose.
    But the 32-yr-old Fu HF is still good for another go at the Olympics and he needs a partner of Cai Yun's stature; no one else other than Zhang Nan fits the bill. The 35-yr-old Cai Yun as we know by now isn't going to Rio and he's around to play a mentoring role to the younger players.

The point is apart from ZN, none of the rest of the CHN MD players is good enough for FHF. That's the sad state of affairs for CHN MD. The young guns, Lu Kai/Liu Cheng, Li Junhui/Liu Yichen, Huang Kaixiang/Zheng Siwei, Wang Yilv/Zhang Wen, etc, still have a long way to go to pose a serious challenge to the best in the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Justin L; 11-05-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Due to her knee injury, ZYL has withdrawn from the Malaysia Masters.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/bad...r8451991.shtml

Will ZYL's double duty end now?
    Last edited by pcll99; 01-18-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that CB/HW is beginning to perform well, but still not a very big hope for the gold at Rio. Beside them, there is nobody. So the temptation to let ZN and FHF have a go at Rio is very strong... Perhaps ZN and ZYL can take it easy until Rio, then give it all for the two weeks of the competition. Not the best way to prepare I suppose