Beginner Looking for a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Pisthetairos, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Regular Member

Student
    Having started going to a local badminton club 1-2 times a week I've recently begun to slowly convince myself that it's time to replace my badly warped and chipped Prokennex (Isodynamic 400) racket. I've been going through the forum here in the hopes of trying to figure things out on my own, but have run into a problem of information overload.

As for myself, I'm pretty casual player, as is the club in general. For the most part I'll be playing doubles, and due to the nature of game most people play there, this means a lot of drop shots, though I like to try and keep the game a bit more agressive when I can. I'm looking to spend $50-80+new strings. I live in CT, USA and I'm not entirely aware of the any badminton shops in the area (to the best of my knowledge it's mostly tennis/racquetball shops that just happen to have a little badminton stuff on the side) so I'll probably be sticking online unless some of the shops in the area hold any suggested rackets.

For now I'm trying to just pull together some info/suggestions (from some of the people at the club this tuesday) and try and see if I can have a new racket for the week after. Thanks for any suggestions, and if this isn't enough info please inform me of anything else that might be helpful.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Welcome to BCBF.
    2) If you are looking for Yonex, I will suggest you to try NS800. It has the power for clear and smash. Also head light for defense. However, I would say it can use a little bit more control. I do have a new one (Never strung and never used) I want to sell for $65 and I will string it with Yonex BG65 or Ashaway MP for free. S/H is about $10 to you. This is a good racquet for you start and get into more advanced level.
    3) Another one I will suggest is SOTX Woven 4A
    http://www.ibuysports.com/Woven4A.html
    If you want, please send a message to the store owner and see if he think it is a good one for you.
    4) Check out this review
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45209
    5) Try to borrow from the members in your club and try to see if you find one you like.
    Good luck.
    Yes, other BCBF members, you may call me racquet pusher now...

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

dont worry silentheart, you make the most awesome recommendations. the only thing i could think different was for the OP to think about a NS500. a bit cheaper.

4. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Or even a NS200? Affordable and good enough for a beginner.

And how come you never push your racquets to me SH? HUH?!?! :D:D:D

5. silentheart

I just might push you over the edge and break your piggy bank...
    PS, You know what kind of deal I will give you. Just ask...

#5 silentheart, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Hohoho~ I sure will!:D:D

Back to the topic, you can try some of the Victor lines. So as HEAD and Babolat, they are all pretty nice manufacturers who makes nice racquets.

7. silentheart

Just skip Wilson. No comment...

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I still say "try and buy". Borrow / rent from local shops (if any) or fellow club members. If something you feel comfortable and fit your budget, then either get it locally or shop online.

Btw, master SH's deal is attractive. If you do not find anything suitable in the local gym, definitely worth some consideration. ;)

9. Pisthetairos

Pisthetairos Regular Member

Student
    1.)Thanks.
    2.) I actually was intending to stray away from them (just because it's yonex, not any logical reasoning there though) , but that does look like a pretty good deal there o,o
    3&4.)I'll have to see if I can look into it any further, thanks for the suggestions
    5.)Pretty much what I palnned, thanks and thanks again for the suggestions.
    If it were possible I'd certainly try that out, but I'm not quite sure that any of the shops around here would do that. Guess I'll have to ask around.

The impulsive person that I am, I already am considering it o.o;;

@gemcat and jymbalaya: thanks for your input, any suggestions for Babolat or Head?

10. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I suggest the Babolat X-feel series.