is it possible that you can't play different racquet?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, Jun 29, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I'm having problem with racquet that is well balanced or light headed racquet.
    Everything is fine, but for the smash. My timing is just really off when it comes to it. It's really weird. Even if it's not of the timing, sometime I get lucky and hit it right, the speed of well balance racquet is just half of the heavy head racquet.
    Which I know that is not true, even heavy head does give you more power, but not double of the power.
    Is there any correct wayyyyy to smash with the well balance racquet?
    I was told (people from here) the techniques are the same for both different racquet. Would that be wrong? because obviously I don't change my technique. And the result just obviously different.
    My style of playing is offence, now I have to change it to defence. =(
    When it's a lifted shot, usually just a drop or clear. Rarely, that I smash.

2. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    You can always play with different type of racket. The real issue here is how fast are you able to adapt to the changes? If you use the racket for quite sometime, I am sure you can get the feeling for that racket for smashing, drop, clear, etc.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Focus on sharp, fast strokes using only your forearm, so half smashes at most. This will give you the timing for the racquet. If you start off with big strokes, coordination becomes more difficult.

The reason you have less power is because you are less coordinated, and you relied on the heavier mass to guide your upper arm's power into the bird. With a head light/even balance racquet, you have to rely on speed, not brute force.

Anybody who loses a significant amount of power from moving from a head heavy to head light racquet should work on technique first.

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    well start from next week i'm going to able to practice with the new racquet for 3 days straight, I hope that's enough time for me to change. After I got the racquet, I only able to play once in 2 weeks. And each time never really have time to practice smash. I mean I don't want to, cuz I don't want to kill all my feather birds because of practice for smashing =)
    yea i'm poor
    I mean, if you're asking me to smash on the ground and get all the angle, and all that sure I can do it with this new racquet. But come into the power smash, I can't just feel it. It's all weird.