Trying to decide between 6 rackets... (novice player)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by yuenie, Jul 2, 2009.

1. yuenie

yuenie Regular Member

Student
    I'm a high school student playing on the varsity badminton team for 2 years and I'd consider myself a novice/intermediate player. I still have yet to buy my own personal racket, and I don't want to buy a cheap $20 recreational/backyard playing racket but I'm no where near professional where I need some $80+ racket.

I'm not a power player, and play more comfortably with head light rackets. I was searching around the internet and narrowed my choice down to these 6, which I noticed all had balance points lower than 5 meaning they should be more head light? (I still don't completely understand all these racket specification jargons.)

- Carlton Powerblade C700
    - Wilson Dynasmash 500
    - Yonex Nano Speed 100 [2009]
    - Dunlop Tempo Graphite
    - Black Knight Impulse 729
    - Wilson nCode N400 [2009]

I was wondering if anyone has any input on any of these 6 rackets. Just reading the descriptions they sound good, but I don't know how much of a difference all these "new technologies" like nCoded, nano, hot melt pre preg and etc really make or what they really mean in the first place. It would be great if anyone could explain it somewhat to me.

Durability is also a pretty big factor for me... I used a newly opened Yonex Muscle Power 22 Light from my team coach before and the shaft broke in half when the person I was playing doubles with hit my racket. It was sort of mortifying to see the head of the racket flying across the court, especially when the person I was playing basically only tapped against my racket when we both went for the shuttlecock. So racket durability is a pretty big concern for me...

I am also open to other racket suggestions as well. Thank you!

2. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    I think at the lower price, Black Knight is your best bet, and you will get the most for your money. I saw on one of your pages there is a power channel racquet for about $80. The powerchannel are a very good series, and you will have warranty for the racquet. For the yonex racquets, especially the very cheap ones, you often wont' get warranty, and it'll be doubtful whether they are even real or not. At the $80 price range, I think BK racquets are definitely better quality than Yonex.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

well, i recommend the NS100. i find it a great racket, and it can last you a long time when you play, meaning that as you advance, you don't have to switch so quickly

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Also, i recommend that if you are on a budget, think about using Apacs rackets, they are cheap, and they play quite well for the money you spend.

5. yuenie

yuenie Regular Member

Student
    Are there any APAC racket retailers in the USA?

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I'm sure the clash wasn't just a tap. I have MP22LT too and it survived many seemingly huge accidents (eg. clash, hitting wooden court floor, clashing with the net stands.....). The racquet is still holding up good.

7. yuenie

yuenie Regular Member

Student
    ^ I was sure the impact made between my racket and the person I was playing doubles with was weaker than if I accidentally dropped the racket on the floor. The person I clashed rackets was new and played very softly, and I barely moved my racket much when it already hit against the other racket. But I guess maybe the one I used was slightly defective since the 3rd singles on my team uses the same racket as well and her's hasn't broke yet.

---------------------

William86_98: Thanks! What about a $40-50 Black Knight compared to a Yonex of about the same price range? BK still better quality than Yonex? I don't really plan to get a racket around $80 like the BK Power Channels, I'm looking more towards $50 and under.

jymbalaya: Thanks! Is the Yonex NS100 more on the head-heavy side or is it not too noticeable? The badmintonalley site didn't list its balance point and I saw this quote mentioned in its description "The NanoSpeed 100 (NS-100) is an aerodynamic and widebody racket with little weight balanced toward the head for power game." Is that supposed to mean there is more weight balanced toward the head or less weight? Since my problem is that I can't smash well with head heavy rackets...

Also, does anyone know the difference between regular durable string and tournament string? Is tournament string more stronger but less durable over time, or does it not matter really? (I was looking at the dunlop tempo one and people were commenting on how it is strung with tournament string instead.)

#7 yuenie, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

tournament string is really just string. however, i recommend cutting the original string, or getting it restrung before you receive the racket. much better feel.

I dont find the NS100 head heaviness that noticeable, but then, you may not like it anyway. its one of those things you have to try.

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I thought Nanospeed 100 is head-light... MP22LT should be more durable than NS100, but I may be wrong. If you're not a Yonex fanatic, you can try Wilson nCode N400. Otherwise, you can consider Victor's racquets too.

10. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    at the $50 range I think BK has an even bigger advantage. Yonex racquets of that range tend to be "designed" in Japan..not made in Japan (like the higher models). Some of them might even be a much cheaper colourful copy of a higher up racquet. This means that they are really second tier in quality by a longshot.

For BK, no second tier exists. They have different racquets that cater to different players, but all are made to the same factory standard, and there is no "second-tier" factory standard like the Yonex. Furthermore, gotta bring up the warranty issue again. With BK, if you break your racquet during play within 6 months, you got a good chance at having it replaced. With Yonex second-tier racquets, this doesn't exist.

As for the string, definitely cut the factory string and go get a set strung with Yonex BG-65. Lots of durability push good play.

11. Adam1172

Adam1172 Regular Member

Student
    why dont you get a Yonex NS200 instead..

12. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    IF you like nanospeed , better take nanospeed 800 , way more better!
    And other I prefer apacs , try take model that they clone . Choose what yonex racket that you like and choose apacs that they clone . You wouldnt spend to much money . For more detail about clone racket , try use search button ......

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    At your $50 budget, Apacs gives the best bang for the buck :)

14. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    That Wilson nCode you mentioned seems to be a little overlooked. I've used the nCode series and those rackets have always felt very good for me. This racket is also catered towards the female demographic. I'm not looking to be sexist, but you are a female player, and it seems as though if a racket is being advertised as "...a super lightweight racket excellent for beginner and intermediate player, especially female player" (Taken from the Badmintonalley.com description), that it would be optimal for you to use this racket. Again, positive things about the Wilson nCode series, good luck with your choice.

15. yuenie

yuenie Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the responses everyone! :)

One last question, is it normal that the racquet_sports seller on ebay asks you to not make the transaction through ebay because he wants to save on the ebay seller's fees?

16. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I don't suggest using eBay to buy racquets. If you are looking for APACS racquets, just go directly to their website. Just Google "Apacs Canada USA" without the quotes.

17. TechKXL

TechKXL Regular Member

International Officer
    Wilson Ncodes

I agree with SilverDJ, Wilson Ncodes (I'm refering to previous generation N3, N5) are pretty darn good rackets. I've got a Wilson N3, and I reckon, it's better (subjective here) than my expensive Armortec 900P. And also others in my club (who have borrowed my racket) who yield NS8000 and MP99, have asked, 'oh, where did u buy this racket from, it's darn good!'. Anyhow, off topic....N3, and N5, can be found for under $50. Perhaps you can take a look at these, I think you'll find it very suitable for your play, esp N5.

Am I allowed to post links moderators? If yes, here it is: http://www.badminton.net/cart/index.php?cPath=1_16_87&osCsid=f46164dce91ba9360c3905f70c51126a
    If not, apologies, kindly delete.

18. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I doubt it would make much difference which of those 6 rackets you chose. Regardless of brand, at that price, none of them are going to use any kind of special technology / quality materials, or anything else that might set them apart from the rest.

I agree :)
    I guess it's pretty subjective, but I personally find overall weight generally makes a bigger difference to the feel of a racket than balance.

If you prefer the feel of a lighter racket, then I think with your budget, Kason are your best bet.
    They make various rackets that you should be able to find for under $50, including the "Light" (77±2g / 5U) and "Troy" (82±2g / 4U) series'.
    Here's a list, incase you're interested:
    http://www.bbeshop.com/en/racket_kason.htm

19. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

get ns100!
    its very good for a beginner
    it has loud sound
    i've tried it my self and im and high intermediate player

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The only complain I have for Wilson nCode is the grip size is only in G3 in US market, which is kinda big even for some male players. It's always much easier to increase the grip size (i.e. add overgrip) than downsizing. :rolleyes: