racket etiquette

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Capnx, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

say you lend someone your racket, and they play with it the whole night (say 2 or 3 hrs), and the string breaks. would you get them to pay for it?

what if they consistently use it over a week's period? a month's?

would you get them to pay if the frame breaks? (but they didnt purposely clash it, just an accedent)

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I expect what I lend to another to be returned as it was when I lent it.
    If the strings have snapped or the racquet is dead, why should I not expect the borrower to make good my loss?

In fact, a decent borrower wouldn't need to be told what to do.

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

on the other hand, what if the racket was already in a condition of wear and tare? should the borrower be expected to replace an old racket? :)

personally I agree with you though, lol, you break it you pay for it.

4. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well, if you have a good relationship with them, then perhaps you could both accept a partial replacement. Say... you chip in half the money, they put in the other half, and you replace it with a new racket (assuming they broke a used one). If the string was really worn down and they broke it, I wouldn't have them replace it. If it was a mishit... and depending on whether I feel generous, I may or may not have them replace it.

But that's just me personally..

5. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

i dont expect a return if the condition has already been wear and tare.. or else the borrower could return an used racquet but what for...:D which i would never use it..

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    My point is:

If I want to break my racquet, old or new, I could do it myself.
    If you borrow mine and then tell me "it's gone", why should I have any sympathy for you, whether it was an accident or otherwise?

Try imagining that you lent your car instead of your racquet... and also imagine that there's no such thing as insurance cover.

Now, who here wants to be charitable, eh? :(

7. elmizze

elmizze Regular Member

I would put it nicely to the person like

"Looks like I'm going to have to buy another racket to replace it. Are you going to chip in?"

If he says no or why he should be chipping in money. Then I will not pursue the matter any further. It only speaks a lot about his character. Next time he won't be borrowing my rackets anymore. Plus not worth losing or souring a relationship over a racket.

If he says yes. Then I will ask him how much he is willing to chip in. And frankly mention to him that the racket's price and condition when I lent him. I will leave it up to him to decide how much he is able to fork out :)

8. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

:D
    that is diff.. i would nvr lend my car to anyone even a closed one.. but i will let go my racq.. :D

dollar vs friendship ?!?

guess i hv to carry only one racquet along for all games from now on.. :D

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i lend out a racket, i do expect the borrower to take care of it like a borrower should.

however, having said that, i would not expect the person to pay for the string breakage. on the other hand, i do expect racket breakage to be compensated if it caused by a clash.

if i borrowed a racket, i will offer to pay for either breakage.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

If i'm in that situation..

..unless the person who is asking to borrow my racket points a gun at me or is holding a knife to my face, then out comes my selection of fake rackets (yes, they're there just for this very purpose, in case someone wants to borrow my racket)...

If the person breaks the fake racket, i can sleep peacefully.

Really. And this is based on my experience of being a Mr. Nice Guy. Yes, it happened a while back after lending someone my first ever Cab 10 racket and watching it break in half, in front of my eyes. It was the only one i had & one of my faves, too.:(

Anyway, here are several similar threads:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28141
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19261
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23954
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23555
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16344
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21106
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53383
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14541

#10 ctjcad, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  11. SAMUDERAINDIA

SAMUDERAINDIA Regular Member

Finance Manager
    if only string break, I would not ask for replacement. String break all the time, it also has wear and tear.

However if its break then I would ask for replacement, or at least chip in.

IF clashes and broke ( in double) I would not ask for replacement either

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Depend... I will not use myself as an example because some reasons many know already. on My 2 cents.
    1) If the sting is in good condition and no sign of wearing. In case of just 1 night, the borrower should offer to pay for restringing service. In case of more than 1 night, the borrower should definite offer to pay for the it.
    2) In case of string is showing wearing, you should let the borrower know first before you loan it out. Even in case of you did not notice, you should see the wear when it is just an one night. The loaner should not as for replacement. In case of after long time period, it is just nice to borrower to ask to pay for it, not a requirement.

We are all nice people and try to make friends on the court. be nice to other and other will be nice to you.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If you knew the racket and/or string was in a dodgy condition, make sure you let the borrower know ahead of time. Make sure you show it to him physically too. Then give him the option of whether he wants to borrow it or not, implying if he breaks it, he should be responsible.

14. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I would lend a racquet to a friend and give him conditions. Of course, accidents happen, but I expect my friends to be very responsible and get a new one with the string as exactly as it was.

15. Hollanto

Hollanto Regular Member

I would not expect the borrower to pay for the snapped strings as they snap quite often but I would expect some compensation for a broken racket.

I ever had an incident that someone borrowed a racket from me, played as my partner and broke BOTH my rackets in a clash! :crying: All I had in return was just a word of sorry and 2 broken rackets. So the lesson I learnt is not to lend rackets to that person and do not have both your rackets on the same side of the court. :rolleyes:

16. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I think this goes back to treat others how you want to be treated. I try treat my friends like kings and queens. So if they want to borrow a racket, no problem, if they break a string, no problem, if they break the racket, no problem. Reason is, I know who I lend equipment to, and I know all of them would compensate me properly, or at least honestly make the effort to. Its a simple understanding. Still, there are others who I would still lend equipment to who I dont know well, but if I know you some what well, and we play occasionally and you break my gear and you dont repay, ill probably just peer pressure you to replace it, and hope for the best.

This is one of the reasons I dont borrow other people's equipment unless Im testing a racket im interested in buying.

17. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Some players just don't lend their rackets. So no issues. Is that the right etiquette? Not sure, but it certainly avoids any confrontational moments.

18. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Piece of advice: Don't lend anything you can't afford to lose.

Personally, I'm happy to lend my rackets to anyone who might ask, as they're relatively cheap ones, and I could afford to replace them, if need be.
    If you're one of those players who has 5 spare rackets in his/her bag, then I think it's fair to say you also could afford to replace or do without one of them.

If someone borrows a racket, and then breaks it by not handling it with reasonable care, then that's different, and you might expect they replace it.

Otherwise, just accept that it was an accident and get over it - the most you can expect is they buy you a pint :)
    That includes noobs who clash rackets - you know when you lend your racket to a beginner, that there's a good chance they're gonna have a clash.

19. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

Great plan, I do the same thing. Generally I carry 1 or two old or cheaper racquets to lend out that if they break, its not a big deal to me. That removes any chance of conflict or bad feelings
    On the other hand, if I ever have to borrow somebody's racquet, I would make sure it is returned in the same condition that I borrowed it (if the strings break I would restring it myself or reimburse the owner for the restringing cost)

20. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Unbelievable :eek:
    Putting so much effort in finding all those thread ... amazing!

Back to the topic.
    Before I hand over the racket to the borrower (usually, the borrowers are beginners because die-hard baddy players know not to borrow rackets unless they broke theirs and they have no spare), I tell them to take good care of it. If I could mention the amount in passing, I would. This act indirectly makes them feel that they're liable in case something happens to it.