User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 27
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    5,275
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What is so different about Lin Dan?

    Lin Dan is the best badminton player ever. What makes him so different than everyone else? Why has he dominated the badminton world for so many years?

    Is it because

    a. he is mentally the strongest.
    b. he is smarter.
    c. he has better coaches, sparring partners and training system.
    d. he has more coaches, sparring partners and supporting professionals.
    e. he had Tang XH as coach for many years.
    f. he has XXF.
    g. he is from Baiyi (eg, JYJ, WX and LXR)
    h. he has better techniques (eg, footworks)

    What advantage(s) does he have over Peter Gade, Taufik and LCW?
    Last edited by pcll99; 06-11-2015 at 09:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member racketman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I knew that, I'd be a billionaire haha. There really is no one reason why he is so good, the reasons may be a combination of everything you mentioned plus about 100 more! All we know is that he is really one of a kind, a true talent and a legend of our sport. You can try to question why he is so good, but ultimately, all we can really do is watch him perform when he is on top of his game and just appreciate it. I am more a LCW fan to be honest, but I still have to admire Lin Dan and all that he has accomplished. Even the most hardcore LCW fans still have to accept that LD is a quality player and we may not see another like him in a while.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Nine Tailed Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Coz he is a gift of god to the badminton world.One destined to rule the world.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,960
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From watching numerous LD vs. LCW matches, I think the most contributing factors are that he plays better under a lot of psychological pressure (a) and tactically better (b). Also, you can't deny that China has a lot of good sparring partners compared with other countries, say Malaysia for example (c).

    Other aspects I would like to add:

    - great precision on every shot
    - excellent deception
    - good anticipation

  5. #5
    Regular Member opruh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Tailed Fox View Post
    Coz he is a gift of god to the badminton world.One destined to rule the world.
    Fox, good answer!

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    12,118
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Because he's a perfectionist, he practices every shot until he's satisfied it's perfect.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Caffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    On a balcony
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was just about to make a thread about this!

    There are a number of reasons but I'm going to try and sum it up. I have been watching him play in depth for a while now.

    1) Very strong muscle memory
    Playing since he was a child, his muscles were able to develop a feel for the shuttle and build on it for many many years. They say you need to have ~1,000hrs doing something to become a master at it and it's pretty safe to say that he has more than that at most if not all shots

    2) Confidence
    HUGE. Must be the biggest factor in his game. This is usually the deciding factor between who wins and who loses when you get that high up in the ranks. When you get up there, most people have played roughly as long as you and have the same skill as you, but when they go to tournaments they question themselves/get nervous/instill doubt and it causes them to second guess themselves or to play safe or whatnot that severely impacts their shot quality. A good example of this is netshots. If you are calm and confident you can hit a good quality cross court net, but if you are nervous/stiff, your cross court net will me slow and loopy and might even go out. Lin Dan hardly ever second guesses himself. He has no doubt in his ability to play whatever he wants whenever he wants and it shows in his aura as well as the way he plays

    3) He's a genius
    I've studied him for a long time and while looking at his footwork you can clearly see he moves considerably slower than his opponent. Not to say he is slow; he can change direction easily (which is extremely tough to do btw), but if you look at his feet you can see his opponent does all the running. This is because he sees the shuttle very early. Before it is hit he has a good idea of where the shuttle will land and so he is able to move early, which lessens the amount of effort he needs and almost always puts him in a good position. Especially when he changes pace and moves in to attack, you can see in some instances he gets into position before the shuttle is hit. Most players react instead of anticipate for a number of obvious reasons, one being its tough to judge the shuttle so early and another is that its tolling on your legs to change direction if you are wrong. However, Lin Dan does this with ease. It's something else.

    3) Lin Dan's arm = tree
    His arm is pretty ridiculous. Fast swing speeds allows him to snap the shuttle down with ease, even when it's behind him.

    4) Shot quality
    His shots are usually on point and are very fast and powerful because of his whippy swing. Many players don't wind up with him and instead force the shuttle with muscular force. This uses up a lot more effort and causes the shuttle to be slower than if they were to whip it. The problem is that winding up takes time and the only reason he is able to do this is because of all the time he has from anticipating the shot earlier like I talked about before. Chen Long and LCW (before, now he kind of relaxed his swing) are examples of people who use more muscular force than whip in their swing and you can see the difference in the speed and quality of their shots in comparison to Lin Dan

  8. #8
    Regular Member racketman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caffrey View Post
    looking at his footwork you can clearly see he moves considerably slower than his opponent.
    Not sure if I agree with that. Maybe now that he is getting on a bit, he relies on his incredible reading of the game to make his movement seem just as quick as anyone else's. However back in his day, his speed on court was still pretty fast, not LCW fast but still pretty fast. He then added his speed to his reading of the game to make him almost invincible.

    However, that's the only real point that I didn't agree with, other than that I really enjoyed your in-depth analysis of LD. In particular, muscle memory. I feel this is not very well understood by too many people, but you explained it well.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Caffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    On a balcony
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racketman123 View Post
    Not sure if I agree with that. Maybe now that he is getting on a bit, he relies on his incredible reading of the game to make his movement seem just as quick as anyone else's. However back in his day, his speed on court was still pretty fast, not LCW fast but still pretty fast. He then added his speed to his reading of the game to make him almost invincible.

    However, that's the only real point that I didn't agree with, other than that I really enjoyed your in-depth analysis of LD. In particular, muscle memory. I feel this is not very well understood by too many people, but you explained it well.
    Yes, back in his day he moved just as fast if not faster than everyone else, and coupled with his anticipation it made him a smash machine. I've never seen a number 1 tear through a number 2 in any sport before like I saw in the Beijing Olympics (not even the MayPac fight! ha...ha...ha...)

    I think the fact that he is past his prime and still able to win almost at will is spectacular though; more spectacular than the fact that he used to rip through people in his prime. It really shows his technical prowess and skill as a player and lends to the idea that a more skilled player can beat a less skilled but more fit player. I am a big supporter of this notion.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Caffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    On a balcony
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for your kind words by the way @racketman123

  11. #11
    Regular Member racketman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caffrey View Post
    Thanks for your kind words by the way @racketman123
    Your welcome, and as a LCW fan (although I greatly respect LD) the 2008 olympics were hard for me to watch, but whilst painful, it was also just amazing to watch a true masterclass take place. LD totally dominated LCW from start to finish which you really can't say for any other match against LCW. LD really is a true legend of the game and I don't think we'll see another LD for some time unfortunately.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Nine Tailed Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't understand why few people think LCW is more skilled player of the two.During his heydays,lin dan could read the game in slow motion without even mentioning his other qualities.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Caffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    On a balcony
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racketman123 View Post
    Your welcome, and as a LCW fan (although I greatly respect LD) the 2008 olympics were hard for me to watch, but whilst painful, it was also just amazing to watch a true masterclass take place. LD totally dominated LCW from start to finish which you really can't say for any other match against LCW. LD really is a true legend of the game and I don't think we'll see another LD for some time unfortunately.
    I would imagine the 2012 London Olympics were way harder to watch for a LCW fan. LD wasn't even in his prime when he beat him . If he didn't choke he would have won IMO.

    LD is pure talent molded into perfection by hard work and determination. He's a once in a blue moon type of thing.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Caffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    On a balcony
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Tailed Fox View Post
    I don't understand why few people think LCW is more skilled player of the two.During his heydays,lin dan could read the game in slow motion without even mentioning his other qualities.
    Fans will be fans. He's definitely not more skilled but undeniably more fit. I think he lacks a lot of mental grit and doesn't seem to use his head much. Especially in the older Lee Chong Wall days where he would just belly flop everywhere to win points. He's a very reactive player.

    Of course it goes without saying that he is still very skilled

  15. #15
    Regular Member racketman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caffrey View Post
    I would imagine the 2012 London Olympics were way harder to watch for a LCW fan. LD wasn't even in his prime when he beat him . If he didn't choke he would have won IMO.

    LD is pure talent molded into perfection by hard work and determination. He's a once in a blue moon type of thing.
    You're right, I think the 2008's were a bit of a disappointment rather than just agony, whilst the 2012's were so agonising. LCW got so close but in the end LD just held his nerve a little longer.

  16. #16
    Regular Member racketman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northampton, England
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Tailed Fox View Post
    I don't understand why few people think LCW is more skilled player of the two.During his heydays,lin dan could read the game in slow motion without even mentioning his other qualities.
    If you're talking particularly about me, then I would like to just say, as Caffrey said, fans will be fans. I like LCW's character and personality and I admire his humble nature and his determination. I don't think for a minute that LCW is more naturally skilled than LD, but I just like LCW because I like LCW. That's all.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Nine Tailed Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caffrey View Post
    Fans will be fans. He's definitely not more skilled but undeniably more fit. I think he lacks a lot of mental grit and doesn't seem to use his head much. Especially in the older Lee Chong Wall days where he would just belly flop everywhere to win points. He's a very reactive player.

    Of course it goes without saying that he is still very skilled
    I cheered for LCW(even as a LD fan) for last year's World Championship because he deserved atleast one major title but he still felt little short and i didn't expected him to win Asian games,neither did he.I am assured of his qualities and his contribution to the game but not sure what future generation would think about his status.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •