User Tag List

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    common sense and BWF in the same sentence!
    oh, don't get us started.
    we never stopped....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sophia_z11 View Post
    Wang Xin is in recovery now and whether she will continue to play badminton depends on the body check in Germany in the mid of November.
    I want players to take care of their body before getting involved in the sports seriously. Because once you are injured, that is completely ruining your career. She is really cute smiling nicely on those pictures with her pet. Nothing should be serious when she is checked. She should continue playing for her country and for her badminton fans.. :-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pcl99, thanks a lot for the links,both very satisfying read,esp the second one,rather long but highly interesting. The first article stated that middle of this month Wang Xin has to go back to the German hospital which treated her for a follow-up checkup to see when or if she can resume competition. She wants to continue playing.

But she's aware it's going to be difficult to recover to tip-top condition and is mentally prepared for any eventuality, that she may no longer be the national team's mainstay. She said over the last four years, she has discovered how big her potential is and at the same time knows what her limitations and shortcomings are,so come what may,she is prepared for it.

Didn't expect her injury to be more serious than I thought at first. Other than hoping for and wishing her the very best,what else can we do.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second article,http://sports.qq.com/a/20121107/000480.htm, starts off by talking a bit about her surgery,the surgical stitches, the scar on her left knee, the differences between the two legs, the rehabilitative and physiotherapy program, some light physical training, her daily routine shuttling between the hospital and the training center,and so forth.

Although she expressed slight regret at not being able to step onto the Olympic podium, yet she is quite satisfied with her badminton career the past four years.

[This second,rather long article is certainly worth a read if you want to know more about Wang Xin the person and her background. I won't bite off more than I can chew - the Chinese language is widely regarded by linguists as one of the most difficult to learn for foreigners,the more so its written form,making the job of translation/interpretation that much tougher (the article actually contains two poems by a famous poet-thinker)]

Just a few snippets,selectively:

" No matter what fate has in store for you, still be grateful and face it bravely" - these were encouraging words from a friend which WX wrote in her microblog....

" Being able to enter the national team is a dream come true. With the past four years experience,my badminton career is worth it."...

Four years ago, at the Suzhou National Games team final,playing for Bayi team she beat Xie Xinfang of Guangdong team. After the match,Li Yongbo asked her over and enquired about her back problem. She told him it's under control, occasionally a bit of pain but bearable as it would ease in one or two days. Upon hearing Li YB's reply, " Return to Beijing and discuss with the coaches your situation", she stood there stunned and her mind went blank. A summon which she had waited for very long.

In 1998,at age 13,she joined Bayi Team. In 2002,she and Jiang Yanjiao were selected to train with the National Youth Team at Beijing. After a while,WX felt a nagging back pain. The doctor discovered a protruding bone at the coccyx(tailbone of the spinal column) which can result in injury under prolonged training. She was sent back ,her hopes of joining the National Team dashed.

At end 2008, she received a notice to go to Beijing for the Women Singles Group Selection Exercise in Jan,2009. There were six of them,excluding WX,the rest were from the National 2nd Team. In the round robin contest,she lost only one match and came in 1st. As a result,she jumped three levels from provincial to national 1st team at age 24....

In 2010,when China lost the Uber Cup, WX, for the first time when losing a competition though she was the only one to win her match in the final, cried as she stood on the podium....

Wang Xin is a very serious student and keen learner as noted by her sport consultant who gives the national players lessons in technique and psychology. The people she approached to learn from include her fellow Bayi Team member, Lin Dan. Upon discovering Lin Dan's 'little secret that he cannot get to sleep on the plane', she would often exchange seat in order to sit beside him to seek his advice and pointers. Initially,Lin Dan just humoured her with a few casual words spoken in jest. As she continued to pester him earnestly,he became serious too and sometimes even secretly watched her at training. On one occasion,at her training session,he suddenly walked up to her and said "What are you practising? Why are you so impatient to finish off your opponent?"....

It is WX's wish to perfect herself in the shortest possible time. "Not that I must be the best in everything, at least don't let others say I'm no good." She cares a lot about the views of others, just one inadvertent word in judgment of her can affect her greatly....

(After this second severe injury, Wang Xin has become more philosophical, expressing quite a lot on the vicissitudes of life which I shan't go into here.)

When she was young,due to her stature and playing style then,her idol was Gong Zhichao. As she ages and gains in experience,she finds herself drawing close to Zhang Ning - Olympic champion at 29, and at 33 became the first women singles in history to retain Olympic gold....

[If anyone finds any errors in my interpretation,please feel free to correct me]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the article's translation, Justin!

what a long journey for her to get to the national team. and what a destiny, before she can achieved more she must face another test.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Wang Xin is a very serious student and keen learner as noted by her sport consultant who gives the national players lessons in technique and psychology. The people she approached to learn from include her fellow Bayi Team member, Lin Dan. Upon discovering Lin Dan's 'little secret that he cannot get to sleep on the plane', she would often exchange seat in order to sit beside him to seek his advice and pointers. Initially,Lin Dan just humoured her with a few casual words spoken in jest. As she continued to pester him earnestly,he became serious too and sometimes even secretly watched her at training. On one occasion,at her training session,he suddenly walked up to her and said "What are you practising? Why are you so impatient to finish off your opponent?"....
    she looks for LD's advice? LD is a coach already?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    thanks for the article's translation, Justin!

what a long journey for her to get to the national team. and what a destiny, before she can achieved more she must face another test.

she looks for LD's advice? LD is a coach already?
    No, Lin Dan isn't a coach. Wang Xin is just keen to learn from him. Now we know why she plays such a fierce attacking game, to emulate Lin Dan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the brief translation, Justin L. Really hope wang xin can come back stronger soon. Back pain isn't something a badminton player wants.. I experienced it before. There will be a lot of difficulties moving on court.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Thanks for the brief translation, Justin L. Really hope wang xin can come back stronger soon. Back pain isn't something a badminton player wants.. I experienced it before. There will be a lot of difficulties moving on court.
    how did you manage the back pain? a lot of physio?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think may be she would have thought that if she gets advice from a great left hand badminton player like lindan, she can play without any injury like him. He is excellent in court. Right from picking up the shuttle to smashing in the court with accuracy. Fantabulous. Wang xin has to learn not only how lindan withstand in the court without any injury but also how to take care of her body. I pray god for her to recover quicly and play for her nation. I know how it would be for a player in china to come up this level and play for their country and maintaining within top5 ranks. It is not an easy task.. Its like climbing Mt.Everest without any guide.
    Really Nice to see her smiling... I wish her all the very best for her future ahead without any injury.
    Last edited by scorpion1; 11-17-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    how did you manage the back pain? a lot of physio?
    A lot of visits to clinic and chiropractor..
    p/s do not push yourself too hard when playing. From that time onward , i used to play badminton with a back support, as a precaution.. Really had a bad time playing badminton during that period of time, keep losing and can't play shots that i used to play quite easily, have to admit i lose some confidence towards badminton during that period though. However, i'm glad my mental is quite strong and still in the process of overcoming it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, from the article it was said that Wang Xin is from BaYi team? but i remember read that Wang Xin used to play for Qing Dao before get injured and replaced by RI?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    btw, from the article it was said that Wang Xin is from BaYi team? but i remember read that Wang Xin used to play for Qing Dao before get injured and replaced by RI?
    My guess is both Li Xuerui and Wang Xin are from Bayi and only one 1st tier player is allowed for each discipline. Since Bayi has chosen LXR, WX is free to play for Qingdao. Maybe somebody who knows the CBSL rules can help to explain?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though WYH is the giant killer, I still prefer WX.

Now even thought LXR is the next giant killer, I still prefer WX. Strange, but don't know why. Maybe partly because this demure little girl has so much 'umph' in her like 'kopi kau'. And it's certainly hard to 'NOT' like her because she possesses that girlie/boyish smile like the girl next door. WSX may be prettier, but WX's image is so down to earth. The fact that she took the time to 'haunt' LD for tips shows the other side of her that we can't see. I really am amaze at her court craft. Not to conjure anyone's furore, I'd bet my wallet's last dollar that she would have won over Saina at the Olympics had it not been due to this dreaded injury. She is one spunky, cute, 'cili padi' lad.

Talent wins respect, character wins....... ??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely,what a lass is Wang Xin (though 26 already). If you've never watched her play badminton,she is just a girl-next-door,shy,soft-spoken,demure. But once on court,wow,what a transformation - virtually a domestic cat suddenly turn tigress!

I can never forget the Singapore Open last year. One day I was watching WSX being whipped by Tine Baun, whose hardest-hitting,thundering smashes flat-footed her time and again, thanks to some apt coaching advice from the legendary Morten Frost. The next day it was Wang Xin who turned the tables on Tine , whacking the daylights out of her with her fluid,scintillating,ferocious attacking badminton. The contrast couldn't be more stark.

This London Olympics,fate dealt a cruel blow to her - for the second time in her life now at 26,the first when she was only 17, a severe injury sustained at competition at the world's grandest stage not only denied her the chance of winning a medal,shattering her hopes and dreams, but also threatened to cut short her career for good.

At this time,she should either be at the German hospital that treated her or back home in China after the follow-up checkup. Wonder what's the doctor's prognosis that will decide whether she can resume competition and continue to pursue her lifelong ambition in badminton. Hope to hear glad tidings.

How I wish and long to see her back to her winning,smashing ways. Wang Xin, way to go! JiaYou!

"Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    - Jawaharlal Nehru

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Error rectification - Talent wins medal, character wins respect

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Error rectification - Talent wins medal, character wins respect
    what would win hearts?
    Last edited by pcll99; 11-27-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rectification 2

Talent wins medals, character wins respect and heart

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast