2U vs 3U

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Thomas, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Is 2U racket more powerful as the 3U seems to be too light for smashing? Advanced players and professionals seem to prefer 2U.

2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    As 2U racquets are heavier for a few grams, it makes sense that they are more powerful, but how much more powerful is another question.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    The debate goes on: Power is also a matter of head speed. And of course a lighter racquet facilitates higher head speed.

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    The 2U rackets are more powerful for me, but when i was using my Winex Aerodynamic 200 before switching to my current 2U racket. I found that it could smash hard enough to end the rally in 1 smash.

5. Mark

Mark Guest

2U rackets are more powerful by definition, but the smash and clear and not the only shots that need playing?

The professional players mostly opt for 2U as their wrists are strong enough to allow it.

There are many shots where, for average players, the 3U will probably see their game work better. i.e net interceptions, picking up smashes, net shots when lunging, etc because the speed/control of racket head movement is crucial.

From watching players in matches and on club night I feel this is true, if you know what rackets people are using trying observing them.

I see many women using the 'long' Ti-10 and other 2U head heavy rackets and it make me laugh. They are not strong enough to use it and you can see that hardly anyone there shots involve much wrist action. They are relying on arm speed and head weight to do things. Pitiful. Also you smash at them or try to drive by them at the net, and you just get 'frame' shots or popped up returns because they can not accelerate the head or produce any wrist snap.

The best lady players I have seen/play with mostly use lighter, well balanced rackets and they play with quite a 'whippy' style which is crisp compared to those with the heavier rackets.

6. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Yes, many ladies like the 3U rackets because they are easier to use especially with wrist. However many men like 2U because the weight seem to generate much more power. Eventhough the weight difference between 3U and 2U seems small, the actual feel can be quite drastic. Long before Carbonex and Titanium, in the days of the Yonex Blacken, the weight was 2U and heavy by today's rackets and it's all aluminium frame.

7. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I know a lady who plays with Ti Swing Power SX. She can smash very hard and play very good net shots as well. In fact, except for the coach, no man in our group can beat her.

I personally do prefer lighter racquet, i.e. 3U. Unfortunately Yonex does not sell 3U racquet here (HK).

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Not pointing to specific gender, 'beginners' that use top line rackets humor me too. It's a total mis-match. . I had to contain my chuckes when i see young kids (beginners) begging their parents at sport shops to buy them the Ti-10 and MP 100. Beginners also tends to break rackets quicker from clashes. Yonex knows this and loving it.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I too prefer 3U for most models. Unfortunately Yonex does not sell 3U racquet here too

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If you've got the dosh, why settle for anything less than the best? If it makes their playing more fun or if it makes them feel "cooler" or whatever, then that should be fine. But I agree it looks kinda funny... spoiled little brats! ;-)

11. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    I think a 2U raquet is better for power, because raquets such as these use their weight and centre of balance to generate more power through centrifugal force.
    but in order to do this, it relys on gravity. Therefore, the heavier the object, the faster it can accelerate due to the gravity pulling it down and the weight helps it accel.
    Thats just my theory though. But i really do find that a heaver raquet produces more power-this is probably because it helps you followthrough with the hit after contact with a birdie, whereas a light raquet will lose most of its momentum on impact.

12. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

I think the the physics explanation you are looking for is momentum. (Momentum = Mass x Velocity). Although there is centripital force at work from the rotating racquet; the direction of the force is perpendicular to the racquet's motion. The actual transferred energy comes from the racquet's momentum in which the heavier the racquet (Mass) would propel the shuttle further than a lighter racquet using a constant velocity.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

shaun, i dont want to bash but your logic and physic are grossly incorrect. Your logic say that heavier racket generate more power, so why dont we or the pros use steel rackets, they are inexpensive and very durable too.

Your conclusion ** Therefore, the heavier the object, the faster it can accelerate due to the gravity pulling it down and the weight helps it accel.** is incorrect to say it mildly. Earth gravitational force is constant at 9.80665 m/s2. Astronaut, Sir John Newton and galelio have demonstrated that too.

Bambam is correct to say momentum has something to do with faster shuttles.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Oops, it was Issac Newton.

15. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    yes i can see that i am incorrect to a point. i seem to have chosen the wrong words and i did mean to talk about momentum. and about your comment on the steel raquets: those raquets are too heavy and therefore require a much higher initial force to propell the raquet to the same velocity as a 2u raquet. But as i have said before, this is just what i find true from my own experience, course, i may be wrong.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

fair enough. If 2U works for you, there is nothing wrong with that. Even some pros can't explain why or how their favorite racket works.

17. May

May Guest

I don't agree here. I'm 12 and have a Ti-10, Carbonex 880, and ummmmmmm......... I can't remember what else i have since they r all in school.

18. May

May Guest

My coach wants me to get used to the Ti-10 as he thinks that a lighter racquet is better but the thing is, I play better and have more consistency with a heavier one. It also depends on how much strength u have. Honestly, sometimes, even the Carbonex 880 is too light.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I dont consider a 2U Ti-10 as a light racket. Sound like u use your arm more than your wrist.

20. Thomas

Thomas Guest

So if a 2U Ti-10 suits for arm player, would a 3U Ti10 then for wrist player?