Badminton store in Toronto

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by type-z, Oct 4, 2002.

1. type-z

type-z New Member

Hi,

I just got hooked in the sport after playing for the first time last week. I was wondering if there are any members here that are from Toronto that can recommend a store in the GTA with good selection and prices? Would be nice if they also carry Karakal particularly the SL70. If not, that's fine too. I would like a place that has variety and can provide good advice to help me decide on my purchase.

You can PM or email me directly if you wish.

Thanks guys!

2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
  3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Brown's Sports:
    Shitty Service: had to wait 20 min while the sales associate found a guy who knew about badminton racquets, and he was no help at all anyway.
    Average prices: slightly higher than others
    Only advantage is that it is right across from the Jane subway, and they let you demo the racquets (take it home to try for awhile) for 5 bucks.

Lee's Badminton:
    Small store, and not THAT many racquets in stock, but still a large selection and very competetive prices. The sales person i had didn't seem to know alot about racquets. He was convinced that every Yonex racquet was better than everyother racquet in the world! His help was based entirely on a yonex chart, so not matter how you answer, he always end up recommending a Yonex.

Sport Check:
    i saw some nice Techno racquets there at a great prices but the quality of Techno racquets is unknown so I didn't buy it. Prices of brand name racquets are sky-high.

Sport Mart:
    similar to sport check except their mid-range yonex racquets are fairly cheap considering you can return them if you don't like it (you have 60 days!)

National Sports:
    haven't been there but they sometimes have great deals... like 70% off discontinued racquets. Regular priced racquets seemed to be priced sky-high too, but they are across the street from the subway too.

Yo's Sports:
    heard they are worth checking out

All these stores I learnt about this week, got mine at Lee's. :D
    Didn't see a Karakal racquet at any of these stores.

post which racquet you end up buying eh!

#3 bigredlemon, Oct 5, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2002
  4. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Lot's of people hate browns... :) but the people that like browns don't know about the other stores lol... Browns sport is way too expensive... bad service.... stinks like hell because of the fat guy sitting on his ass smoking his weed all day while waiting for a customer lol.

Yo's yea.. the best deal in TO so far... Lee's is OK i heard... ehh.. national and sport check don't sell good racquets..

5. type-z

type-z New Member

I got a Carbonex 8100 for $69+tax at SportChek. Did I get ripped? Was kind of rushed and had to pick it up last night in time for the birthday party. She's a beginner and looking for something light. i know this is not the lightest but still very good for a beginner.

Thanks for all your help guys. Will check out Yo's for my next purchase.

6. bigredlemon

Sport check had a stiff Techno High Modulus Graphite racquet with titanium mush at the 3 and 9 o' clock positions, square (isometric) head. 85 grams i think. Pretty high end if you ask me, and only 90$... plus i have a coupon for 15% off all SportChek merchandise :) Comes out to around $80. :D A yonex version would be around $200. You can't even get a winex version for less than $120.

I guess its too late for you to use the coupon now, but if you still want one for yourself....

#6 bigredlemon, Oct 6, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2002
  7. bigredlemon

Somebody said they did?:eek:

well.... they carry low-end brand names or high-end no names.

8. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Well Sport Check sells some high-end Carlton racquets.
    The Powerflo 700 and Megaflex F2 i think. But the prices are a little high compared to the other specialty badminton stores.

9. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Yo's just got in some high end Carltons too, if anyone's interested...

10. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Does anyone here has the website addr for Yo's which seems to be a recommended one?

Btw, how much should I be paying for an unstrung MP77? I was quote at C$175 unstrung.

11. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Does anyone here has the website addr for Yo's which seems to be a recommended one?

Btw, how much should I be paying for an unstrung MP77? I was quote at C$175 unstrung.