How should I string a MP99 to get best results ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Theodore, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Theodore

Theodore New Member

entrepreneur
    Hello, I'm new here. I just bought a new MP99-SP a month ago and got it stringed at 24lbs with bg-68Ti. After experimenting it for 2 weeks, losing almost every game I played , I decided to change the string with bg-66 and 22.5lbs.
    Well, I feel no significant changes to the quality of my shots (especially smashes). I play consistently and win with my old carb 8000 (bg-66 22.5lbs) but I keep hitting the shuttle lousily with this new (supposed to be) powerful MP-99. Any suggestion guys ? I will appreciate it.:confused:

2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    do u play singles or doubles? how long have u been playing?

3. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Theodore, its probably because youre not used to the racket yet. I had similar experience when i swapped from Iso900 SR to MP 100. The difference in weight, 81~g for Iso and 91~g for MP100 made my timing go wrong. But once I got used to the MP 100, I get better smashes out of it.

There's also the balance point difference, that could affect your game play. Basically, try getting used to the MP 99 first before spending too much on strings. Just an advice, its probably easier to get used to the MP99 if you use it everytime and ignoring how well you play instead of swapping to the old Cab8000 to win a game, try it for a week or two and see how well you do by the end.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I guess maybe the muscle power iso design is so revolutionary that it takes awhile for people to get use to it. Just reading from some of the equipment reviews and posts, you are not the only one with problems adjusting the the racquet. Give it time and the result can be rewarding since mp99, 100 are both very powerful racquet and I can't wait to get my hand on my own mp99 soon. :D

5. Theodore

Theodore New Member

entrepreneur
    Maybe u're right Iwan, I'll give it a try.
    BTW Does anybody know why does the racquet has the "MP99" printed on the shaft while I found a sticker with "MP90" and a barcode on the handle ? :confused:

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    where was the racquet bought? mp90 is the JP model so maybe you got a JP handle? not sure. but don't worry about it. 99 and 90 are the same thing.

7. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Haha. World market frame with JP handle? :p
    So we don't just have CN/CP, JP, SP, etc, we have 50-50(%) JP+SP?
    This is getting complicated. :eek:

8. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Well I did a search, and I'm bringing back this old thread to ask one question.

What strings would work best with an MP-99 3U?

I don't think knowone answered this question yet.

I just wanna know becuase I"m gonna buy my own mp-99 3U sometime in july. If anyones wants to know, I'm more of a control player than a consistent smashing machine. I mostly play singles now, but i still like to bounce back to mixed doubles and doubles once in a while. I had experience with bg-65 ti and i didn't really like the strings, becuase they just felt like regualar bg-65 strings only just a little lighter.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I agree with jwu there : you will need time to get used to the MP series of racquets.

My biggest problem with an MP (although I don't own one) is with the isometric head shape. Although there's nothing different in terms of length (I stand corrected), I seem to find it hard to hit the shuttle properly compared to my oval-headed Carbonex. The first time I hit with the MP55 was relatively stranger-meeting-stranger feeling; keep hitting the frame, or timing was off. Even the vendor told me the same when I enquired about the MP series. There's just something in the design that makes it play and feel different compared to the Carbonex series.

The owner, an above-average player, played way below his level using the MP55 for the first two weeks, esp with the forearm shots such as smashes and lobs. "Don't feel used to it, he said". He gradually got used to it and slowly, he began playing like himself again. Never had trouble with MP racquets anymore.

Now, what I had said seemed to had nothing to do with the string of the racquet, no? So, it must have something to do with the attribute of the MP build that makes it feel 'strange'.

Either way, I think the old tips apply - tighter for better control/feel (trade off for power) or less tight for better power (trade off for control/feel). Since the MP series are made to help maximize power, I guess tighter should not be a problem.

Still, I don't think it's the problem with the string. It's the MP build which you're not used to.

#9 wilfredlgf, Jun 17, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I really don't think there's a sure answer for questions like that. With different preference, ppl might just provide different answers. So, the result: u still need to figure out with ur own expereience.

However, I think these might be the "safe tries":

1. If u tend to go higher tension, say 24+, I rec. BG68Ti for the power. The downside is, the string tend to fray kinda easier (Ti, u know), and at first, u might feel the string is ultra slippery, ur control might be a little bit off.

2. BG85 seems a favorable choice for many players with high end rackets. Overall, it should provide decent combo of control + power. Various ppl complain this string won't last long (0.67mm), so, $$$ might count.

3. If u can affoard, 88Ti and CBN100 are the pricy ones. So far, did not hear anyone who's using complain about such 2. However, I never get a chance to use it myself, so, can't provide too much detail info.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    post the serial numbers here, will ya? the serials can be found in the cone and lowest part of the shaft.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    btw, just want to point out that the racket have nothing to do with the quality of your shots.

by buying the best racket will not make you into Candra Wijaya, if you have problem with shot quailty, you need to improve your own skill.