Beware of Ti-10 shorter evil twin

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cooler, Feb 21, 2001.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Well maybe not evil but most guys dont like to be labelled as short.
    Now i got your attention.

Many posters here have discussed, analysed, & debated about the good and bad sides of Ti-10. Some say it's too head heavy or too stiff while others say it's not. As I dont own nor tested a Ti-10 myself, I didn't comment much on the Ti-10. What i have realised is that Ti-10 come in two length versions, regular and long shaft. I think most owners of ti-10 are not aware of this and did not specify which version when they bot their racket. So, pull out your Ti-10 and measure to see if you are long or short.

2. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I aware of this. Mine is a long version. In fact, it is marked on the shaft.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I actually have a picture of the Ti-10 in both long and tradional lengths. If anyone wants i can send it to them.

4. Mark

Mark Guest

Re: Ti-10 Strings Breaking

I have several friend with Ti-10's, and with all of them, their strings seem to break very regularly.

They are all stringing with BG-65Ti between 22-25lb, which I did not think should cause any problems. The rackets are strung by a professional who has strung for Yonex at the All England.

Are there any other Ti-10 owners who have experienced similar problems?

Is it a design problem, stringing problem or player problem?

Mark

5. Harry K

Harry K Guest

Yes, I bought a new Ti-10 Long with BG-65Ti strung at 21 lbs, and it did not last more than three months of fairly light play, once a week. I think it may be a combination of the string and the racquet.

Certainly, the string did not wear out. It just developed lots of nicks in the middle of the face very early on and then snapped in the middle of a rally.

I do like my Ti-10, but am still experimenting with different strings. I previously used BG-65 at 21 lbs on old Ti-8 and Ti-7 and it was fine. Perhaps the new string just isn't elastic enough.

6. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

Ask them to check their grommets and change them if necesary

7. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

It is not at all surprising that a BG65 at 20-22 breaks every three months. My question is where the string breaks. If the break point locates at the edge of the frame, you need to change your stringer. At the middle of the frame, you could try BG65 Ti. I use Ti-10 with BG65 at 22-24lb, very light use for social plays, I need to restring it about every four to six months.

8. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah

I own a Ti-10 long myself and I have never experienced my string breaking. I have it strung at the highest manufacturer tension 18 main and 20 cross. I have it strung with BG-70 PRO and have never had my strings broken. Maybe it's because you guys go over the recommended tension. That's probably why it breaks. I could be wrong.

9. Don

Don Regular Member

I have one strung at 30 lbs with bg 70 pro. I have not noticed anything as of yet other than the fact the strings seem to wear down on the outside of the head frame. I have another strung at 28 lbs with bg 80 and another with bg 70 at 25 lbs. I personally think it come down to the stringer and how experienced he or she is in putting in the string.

10. Chan

Chan Guest

Your tensions are rather high and that string isn't very good. Try BG70 that string is a rather tough one, and plays much better than the BG65Ti.

With the BG65Ti @ 22 - 25 lbs it's too high, and the string becomes too fragile.
    As for the BG70 on my Ti-8 I have it at 24 lbs and it's been kicking ever since. But it also depends on your frequency and intensity of your play.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

BG65 Ti is the most durable string yonex has. If it keep breaking, it ain't the design problem.

12. vince

vince Guest

secrect for stringer.

I am not a stringer but the guy who string my racquet recently use a a new technique (maybe not new). He run the new string thru very soft wax before stringing it. With the wax on it, the string slide easily so there is less chance of the stringe being damaged (cut, nick). And yes, my string does last longer with the wax technique.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: secrect for stringer.

It's not new nor a big secret but it's good that u point that out.
    I sometime use it if the client request it. I personally use it on certain strings.
    From my observation, there is mark improvement in longevity but i can't quantify it as to how long extra life. This shows you how much hype behind ti strings when cheapo wax can do the job.

14. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

The highest tension recommended by Yonex for the Ti-10 is 20lbs main, 22lbs cross.

15. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Actually, I just noticed it's different for 2U and 3U versions:

2U: 18-20 main, 20-22 cross
    3U: 16-18 main, 18-20 cross

I guess they had to take something out to make it lighter...

16. Mark

Mark Guest

It seems there are alot of people who string every 3 months or so though! People with Ti-10's do seem to have more problems than they have had with their previous rackets!

I have a Winex T-12 strung at 22lb with Winex Ti-80 string. Since getting it strung by the same person that does my various friends Ti-10's I have never had the string break. This is about 9 months now.

I play 3-5 times per week, nearly always playing high intensity.

17. vince

vince Guest

I bought several Ti BG65 strings to try it out and didn't find the Ti series last longer than the regular BG65. I find the Ti BG65 has less repulsive power and lack of feel. It was fortunately for me that Ti has such a marketing power that I was able to trade all my Ti BG65 to regular BG65.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

That was a good move. I tried a friend racket with bg65ti string and i didnt like it either.

19. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Actually... the racquet will say whether or not it is 'long' or if it is not... (no you don't talk to it...) if it is long the shaft portion near the handle says 'long' if it's a regular length it does not say anything.
    Actually, it's even in the 1999 Yonex product catalog.
    Anyways... happy smashing!!!
    PS: cooler... could you string a racquet for me? hehehe... we're in the same city anyways.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: Kelvin

Yes, i saw the 2 version in yonex's catalog too. I brought up this topic because i read so many differenc / conflicting opinion on ti-10. I thought it might be related to owners not knowing which version they have. I see that owners here are aware of this.

On stringing, i have emailed to you where i play on friday and sunday nights.