Please Help!! I desperately need to be fit!!!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by vevege, Jul 10, 2009.

1. vevege

vevege Regular Member

seo
    I have tried many diets and exercises, but to no avail. I manage to lose a few pounds initially whenever I start something new, but I am back to square one again! I am completely exasperated and feel depressed. I do not know what to do. I will go to any extent to get a fit body.

2. fitnessguy

fitnessguy Regular Member

Student
    well, it's always easier to loose weight when you start a diet. If you push through with something that works for you the first couple of weeks, then the results should start to come back after a while. if you are talking about muscles and training i know that it always helps to make a long term schedule and then stick with that.
    i have just made one for myself (to get more agile and i want to run a marathon). it is for the next 3 months, and i know that when i have finished it, i will be able to reach my goal.
    automatically when you make a schedule, you need to have a goal. this is also something most people need to have from the start.
    In short terms; Set a goal, make a long term plan to reach it, stick with it no matter the current results!!
    hope it was helpfull :)

3. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

depending on how fast you want the results, you can choose a diet accordingly

most importantly is to cut as much fat as possible and carbs/sugars (even fructose from
    fruits)

then make sure you burn more calories than you consume every day but eat enough proteins so your muscles can repair

over time you will see results

4. tinh_duyen209

tinh_duyen209 Regular Member

I am in the same boat as you too. I found out i really love badminton like I can't stay away from it. I have the power but I just can't move fast enough and I also have a left knee injury so it's pretty hard for me to even move because I am scared that I might injured it again if I push myself too hard. But at the same time, I know that if I want to get better and improve in badminton, than I have to lose that weight. I think somewhere in this forum says if you're weak at something, focus more on that. As for me, I am not good at footwork and I am pretty slow, so I'm trying to focus more on losing the weight and practicing footwork slowly than increasing the speed as I lose more weight. I just think losing the weight would actually help increase my knee recovery. So, I just made a plan. On monday, wednesday, fridays I still play badminton, mostly just work on drills or occasionally play games but just push myself and on tuesday and thursday, I just work out for like an hour? Since I have an injured knee, I can't really run on the track so i just bike with resistance and just petal as fast as i can for like 20 minutes than do the elliptical for 20 minutes and than work on another machine for 20 minutes. Working out on the machines doesn't really make you sore at all but if you push yourself to the point where you're huffing and puffing, and sweat I think that's good enough. Besides working out, just watch what you eat. Cut down on fatty foods, junk foods and etc. Also, don't go for the easy way out like diet pills, or something like that. It doesn't even work probably temporary, but not in the long term. You'll just gain it back. Just take it slow. As for me, I just lost 3 llbs in the first week. So I'm trying to stick with my plan no matter how hard it is becuase I really want to get better in badminton. I never had a passion for a sport before. So i guess it just depends how much will power you have. If you really want to lose the weight, you have to give up something in order to gain something.

I hope this helps.

5. darkyboy

darkyboy Regular Member

i run 400m 8 times, coach says no matter what push urself throught it, he'ld rather that i die at 4 times and jog the rest than me jogging all of it, i went from 9 to 14 on beep test :D took about 2-3 months , now im slacking off, might start running again, im not fat but not skinny either, i also need to loose some weight :p, ive lost about 6 kgs already from 73-67 meh, running is fun :)

6. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Eat 1:2:3, Meat:Rice (or whatever you want for grain):Vegetable, in a size of a lunch box. 3 meals a day, all balanced. Sleep early and wake up early, don't stay up late. No snacks during TV or at night. Do exercise, running, hiking-machines, sit-ups, and push-ups at least to your limit.

7. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    No pain, no gain.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    The most efficient way to lose weight is getting the balance right.

Some people go hardcore with diets and dont excersise.
    Some people go hardcore with training and forget about what they are eating.
    They need to work hand in hand for results to come.

Firstly each meal needs to be controlled not only in portion size but also in what is on the plate health wise.
    Remember with diets you are allowed to treat yourself to something naughty every so often. As long as its small and doesnt happen often. EG when i go on a major diet. I treat myself to chocolate or chips or something once a week or once every couple of weeks. It helps you keep on track.

second thing is along side your diet you need to train hard. Depending on what you want to achieve with your body is how you will train. If you want to lose the fat and just get skinny, heavy cardio based workouts, with corestrength excersises will get you places. Lots of running, cycling, swimming, situps, pushups etc etc etc.

If you want to lose the fat and put on some muscle, you will need a balance of cardio and weight training. With weight training there are different categories aswell. Strength training or size gain training? Lots of different ways you can approach it.

Another thing which is really important is creating a schedule/routine for your training and eating. Eating 4 balanced meals a day at the same time each day will start to control your metabalism and make it work how it should. (plenty of water each day will really help to. VERY IMPORTANT)

If you cant do it yourself then seek some advice from a personal trainer or someone you know who has a good training schedule or similiar body to what you want.

But any success requires hard work and committment. Your results will depend on how much you really want the change.

Goodluck.

9. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    1 more thing i forgot to mention. Nothing happens overnight and everyone is different in regards to how long it takes before you see results.

I lost 16kgs in 6 months of hard training and dieting. So believe me it is possible.
    You need to be persistant and remain committed.

Took me 3 months before i lost 5kgs then the weight started falling off.

The other thing is rather then looking at pure weightloss you need to look at your size loss. Regular measurements around your flabby areas will show your tru results.
    Your body will lose fat and gain muscle so you may not see any weight change to begin with. In some instances you will gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat.

So purely basing your results on how much weight you lose wont give you what you want sometimes.

10. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Is the initial post connected to the badminton somehow? Having him/her/it have a cardiac arrest with altius/citius/fortius? No pain, no gain, afterlife will welcome everybody :D

11. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    True. And I have just noticed that he/she's only got a single post so far. Interesting observation.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    This thread was created by vevege.
    He/she/it turned out to be a spammer.

It's common for a spammer to post an innocuous query like:
    "How do I get rid of my neck pains and constant fatigue?"

Within minutes, the spammer returns in another name and answers it:
    "Oh, that's easy. I tried Phiten... and every ache and worry disappeared."

Why you don't see these clever exchanges is because we delete them.
    Of course, the spammers are also banned and prevented from returning.

The original post wasn't deleted because a reply was posted.
    In any case, the question holds some merit in badminton :)

Please continue to post your responses.

13. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    Lost Fat, Gained Muscle

I've lost weight.. but iono about that as a factor to getting ne better unless ur weight is really really overweight or something. I've trimmed down on the fat in the middle section of my body... but gained more weight in muscle mass.

for badminton it has proven to help my speed .. footwork, conditioning in general, and reflexes. i haven't done much else than play games and I haven't done real conditioning in 2 years or so.... game has improved.

i'd say if i want to improve any further... it's training with a coach that'll get me there. training is what i expect to make me loose the weight... still, it always helps to do running, lifting weights, and concentrating on improving ur physical weaknesses in addition to training with a coach.

i may be heavy but I'm faster than other people lighter than me at my same level.

ps... Drink more water.. you won't get sick of it if you make up for it with good healthy food! :D ppl who can eat alot have only expanded the size of their stomachs... gradually reduce ur food intake by eating enuf for energy but not to the point where you're max'd to the full, belly rock solid. even snacking evenly throughout the day is healthier than one large meal per day. :cool:

14. ah_lee_ba_ba

ah_lee_ba_ba Regular Member

Freelance
    My own personal 'experiment': Just for references sake.
    Change my habit, never change my portion of eating. I took 1.5 longer times to eat my meal. Find a friend to chat while having meal. Drag your chewing habit. From 85kg to 80kg, took me 3 months. Next I tried that another 6 months, this time reduce only couple of kgs, but it never goes down anymore. Guess it reaches its threshold.
    Next, I turn to jogging, since I reduce my weight, I feel my leg get much better support and running much easier than before. I started running only when I realised my weight did not get any much reduction as compare to first 3 months. I finally reduce to until 70kg.
    Right now, I bounce back to about 85kg, due to thyriod after quiting smoking 4 years ago, which I cannot do any more exertion exercise, until recently recovering back. So I pick up badminton again. Pray for me, thanks.

15. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    did you know there's a trick, when you work out sweat your ass off i mean like your whole shirt should be wet, it works wonders

16. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

I'm going to guess that you aren't at a very high level, otherwise you'd already have been advised about fitness. I have a fairly balanced diet, and I know myself that I probably eat a little too much a little too much of the time. Obviously the more intense you make your games, the fitter you will become, but it will take a loooong time just playing badminton to get fit. I'd say to start with your legs and stamina, considering the sheer importance of your legs in-game and the ability to keep going. Go out for some short walks, I do about 2 miles a day at least but in 1/2 mile sessions, just start walking and try to go a little faster than your norm. Eventually you'll barely even feel it and it will build the muscle in your legs quite a bit too. Any excess fat will be gone in about 3 weeks (my experience, may vary) and you will be able to last much longer on court. The only thing I would say is, walking doesn't really work the fat or muscle on your torso so you may want to consider going to the gym to work on that.

17. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    A light training schedule

Hi keith.roche,
    Wow:eek: Seven days a week non-stop training. Without rest or break? Tough man not light!!! :p My bones n joints will cry for help:D
    Lee;)

18. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

No rest, or break unless you plan a vacation.. LOL
    And coach asks us to follow SOME of the things mentioned in the time table, if we are on vacation elsewhere. And FYI, GAME in the table is just a 7 point winners stay game.
    He says, that when the game is played on 7, players will try their BEST to gain every point. And by chance, if I loose a game, I have no more game that evening. :D
    Its more like a LESSON. If you dont play your best and defeat people, you dont have to play. lol

19. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

And NO, I definitely dont consider this training LIGHT. Its pretty heavy for me, but coach says that its light and he'll keep adding more things as I improve.

20. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Sir yes sir. ;)

I have to offer one very nice link, http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/ .

What separates this from other "diets" is that the author goes to great lenghts to explain, over and over again and in different words, how the whole system works, i.e., what makes our body go fat or slim.

And, take good note, the author does *not* tell you to eat anything specifically, or to not eat something.

While the basic idea of what he explains fits into one sentence or one image, the author does a great job to explain it in very easy words without any "magic" or weird esoteric stuff.

Good read, I suggest it. It's the *ideas* that count, not necessarily the practical implications. If you get them pat down (especially the chapter "The Rubber Bag"), the rest will follow easily.