Smashes.....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by NoWayIn, Jul 10, 2009.

1. NoWayIn

NoWayIn New Member

Hi!
    This is my first post here so I'll try to not type much ( I type alot when it comes to asking)

So Im a 16 year old boy who's been playing badminton for about 2years now.
    I've played it before but it was just for fun and I didn't even know the rules.

So uhm what I need help on is my smashing...
    are there any techniques when it comes to smashing?
    I use a forehand of course
    im about 5'5 ( short D: )

I just can't seem to get the birdie low enough to the net
    It would be at the back of the court ( no out most of the time ) but that's where my opponent stands.
    and my height makes it a bit hard for me to hit low down into the net.
    I tried jump smashing and it worked but not enough power.

so any tip?

oh and I also forgot...
    can my serves be almost as quick as a drive or as quick as a drive?
    I aim straight down the line and it goes pretty quick
    score most of my points from serves

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Firstly, welcome to BC :)

Just to warn you though, it's a good idea to do a search before you start a new thread, incase the topic has already been discussed.

eg. This thread, posted less than a week ago:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72448

The type of serve you mention is called a "Drive Serve". It's perfectly legal (as long as it's hit from below waist level of course), and can be very effective. If you use it too often or against better players, it can land you in trouble though. Again, use the search tool for more info.

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

how good are your clears? i think that is the basic shot in badminton. if your form and technique for clears are spot on, then it's only a matter of tweaking the position and motion for other shots such as drops, drives, and of course, smashes.

4. NoWayIn

NoWayIn New Member

I can clear pretty well.
    high back to the back clears.

I went to the gym today and played and it seems that I could only score on smash that is out of nowhere.
    meaning like if the opponent hits it a bit high then I just automatically react to it with a smash.

I tried some smash that I was ready to hit from the clear and I think im missing the way im suppose to be standing ( sideways I think )

5. Pureskillz76

Pureskillz76 Regular Member

oh, that's perfectly normal. Smashing when the shuttle is only a bit high and coming towards you is actually easier to smash. When the shuttle goes really high and starts dropping really fast vertically, you kind of miss it or get a bad smash from it.

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    the search engine on the forums will get you thousands of tips and suggestions.

Id suggest having a look through too find some guides and such.

7. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

yes, and the place where you smash in the court is also important. if you're pushed all the way to the backline, chances are your smashes won't be that powerful or have a good angle to end the point. timing is also important for those high ones, because chances are you're moving back first, so your footwork is vital to have your racket foot in the right place for the smash.

also, never assume you can end the point on a single smash. recovery after a smash is also important to keep the pressure on your opponent and keep attacking.

8. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    heyllooooo, i'm 5'4" =)
    no I mean =( ...
    But anyway, you made me happy because I have no problem with smash (on ground) and get's around 2 or 3 feets forward from 2nd double serve out line. And when I jump, I get right in the middle, =). But I really don't do ground smash, it's weak. I can only do jump smash. 2nd reason that i'm better with jump smash, because I like to jump and i'm good at it =). I think I can almost touch the basketball rim about 2 or 3 in under. So that's why I get alot of angle. (and noooooooo, not jumping up + racquet length = 2 or 3 in. under the rim, that's makes me super fat that can't jump)

1 thing about smashes, even your smashes are strong, but there is no way you can execute them all the time, especially when your opponent know around what height of the bird going to be where they stand. So I recommend you to start practice with your smash technique again, get it down more angle, so mix up with your attack routine.

9. NoWayIn

NoWayIn New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't know why but I have a really bad time with my jump smash and smashes this week.
    I think it's how I position my body mostly.

I just had alot of bad times this week, can't angle, can't get the swing good

10. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

hehe im also 5'5''
    i smash pretty well
    reg smash and j smash
    but all i have to say is
    work on timing, placement, movement, and stroke.

11. bradmyster

Tips......

Learn to smash efficiently without jumping before even bothering to learn to Jump smash.

12. NoWayIn

NoWayIn New Member

I do a bit better with jump smash though.
    just cant angle with jump smash

13. bradmyster

the whole idea for a jumpsmash is to get the angle and its all in your timing, technique and wrist movement.

Learn to get a strong angle and good placement with a ground smash before you try jump smashing.

If your finding it hard to get a good angle with a jump smash then the main 3 elements are incorrect somewhere along the line. Go back to the basics and perfect them before trying the more advanced stuff.

Even for the top players, many times they need to return to the very very basics to reshape their technique and game.

Whats the point in reading a book from halfway in to the finish?? Youve missed the most important part and its not going to help your final outcome ;)

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    the whole idea for a jumpsmash is better angle and faster.