Help me choose

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by TOmike, Oct 6, 2002.

1. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    Yo sup, i've pretty much narrowed it down to two racquet models now

but i'll need some feedback from some people that have actually used the racquets.. just gimme your impressions and the strengths and weaknesses of these racquets.. thanks for any feedback..

Yonex Ti-7 Light
    and
    Yonex ISO Swing Power SS, SR, SA, SX (any one)

2. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    ISO Swing Power has great power and control. I've used the SS and I haven't really encountered any problems with it. But if you don't want it to break, you can't string it at high tensions. The SX,SS are just 87g and the other's 81g. So you have to be careful. I'd say it's more of a singles racquet. If for no other reason than I'd kill my partner for clashing his racquet with it.:D

Ti-7 light at least has muscle structures, so in theory it should be able to stand slightly higher tensions. The regular Ti-7 supposedly plays a lot like MP77. Stiff and takes some time to find the trick to using it. But I've never tried the light version.

Personal opinion: If you have the money get the ISO TI-SP SX or SS.

3. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    any idea how much it is in Toronto?
    Ti7 is 199$

4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    any idea how much it is in Toronto?
    Ti7 is 199$

5. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    If you go to Yo's it's $230. I think.

6. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    ouch, that'll take a bite out of my wallet. hmm gotta get my hands on a demo

7. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    ti-7 or iso ti swing power

i have used them both, and in my opinion, the ti swing is a better racquet. But it really comes down to you and wether you play singles or doubles. The ti swing is definetly a singles racquet becuase it is more head heavy than the ti-7. But if you have a strong arm and wrist, it doesnt really matter. If you plan to play strictly doubles, then the ti-7 is probably better. Only problem with the ti swing is that you cant string it too high. I had one strung by a pro at 24 pounds and it warped the next day. So be careful.

8. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    and the iso ti swing was the ss model.

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    yeah, i was planning to play singles with it.. doubles is fun but its hard to find a good partner in my area.. if i strung it at 20lbs. would that be too much?

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it really depend on ur style of playing (offense, defense) and whether u prefer double or single game.

Just be careful, ppl told me that both Ti-7 light and 2 light versions of ISO Swing Power are very easy to break.

11. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I don't think the Swing Powers are fragile, unless you buy non-SP racquets. I've had a ISO TISP SR for more than a year and have had it restrung 4 times at 23lbs all the time. And nothing has happened so far, maybe because it's a non-SP racquet.
    Or other reasons that your racquets might break is because you always hit the frame on attempted smashes, clashes with your doubles partners, or even banging the strings of the racquet on your knees and shoes while playing to release stress.

PS. I have hard smashes, so that explains why I always change strings every few months and I use really thin strings like BG85, and BG66.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have no idea about that. I am way too short of $$$ for Swing Power. Just happen to hear my above statement from someone in my club. He told me that he broke his in like 2,3 months. Don't know what version/model he has, but seems that he did not clash it with someone. Plus, he's also a very powerful smasher.

13. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    us iso didnt last

my iso ti swing power was a us model. I didnt have any racquet clashes or anything along those lines. Not even hitting on the frame. The head of the racquet just warped and i only had it for a few days. I'm not saying that all ti swing powers are that fragile, just the us version i had. It was stored properly at all times as well. Despite the fragilness, it is still a great racquet with good control and lots of power. How much did you hear the the ti swing was? It is only about $135-150 here on the west coast. Best of luck to you lazybuddy:)

14. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Depending on your style of play, mainly singles and love to smash, go with the Ti-SP SX. The SS is good for a more balanced game of singles and quite powerful in doubles. Haven't try the SA and only briefly the SR, but they are light so only consider it if you are not an offensive player. All models are ~$145USD here in the east coast.

Ti-7 light is a good doubles racquet, more versatile than Ti-7 long. It's about $20USD cheaper than the Ti-SP here.

So depends on your play, offense, go w/ Ti-SP, defense, go w/ Ti-7 light. As for the fragility of the racquet, all these "expensive toys" break easily so just take care of your racquet, if you are just a recreational or club player, don't string too high, 20-22 lbs is fine. As for the head-warping, I just heard it is better to string using the 2 string method for iso-shape racquet because this way you'd maintain the iso-shape and keep the sweet spot.

15. TartanSparkle

TartanSparkle Regular Member

Student
    May I try and add more input to your quest to finding the correct racket.

I am standing on the Isometric Swing Power side of the fence and I have to say that my input is bias as I have never touched a Ti-7 Light. I have the SS in the range and find it perfect for my style of play.
    I don't like a racket feather light and I have thin and not too strong wrists, so a heavy one doesn't work either. The SS is 'Stiff' and more toward 'Offensive hard hitter' than 'Defensive control player'. I find the SS suits all needs around the court whilst being quite whippy when you need it to be.

It is, like everyone else has said about it, more for singles play and does the business in that way. I have my two SS rackets strung with BG-68Ti strings and at 26lbs and it has held out fine since April. Highly recommended racket.

TS

16. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Re: us iso didnt last

Then it seems to me that the problem is your stringer. If it warped, did you get your replacement for a brand new one because all US and CD models come with a 6 month warranty.

17. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

You can't really compare all of these racquets, simply because whilst they are the same family, the SX and the SA are like chalk and cheese. SA very head light, and flexy (though not as much as it used to be), whilst the SX is very head heavy and stiff (also not as much as it used to be either).

Ti 7 feels like a dead version of an SS, but not as good. Okay all round racquet, but SS better in every way bar price ;)

Oh and 20 lbs is not a problem on any of these racquets, I've used all of them, and owned about half and string them usually around 22-24lbs

18. modious

modious Regular Member

Did I read this correctly? U're saying SP rackets are more durable than other versions like JP or CN/CP?? :eek:

Anyway, my Iso Ti Swing Power SX (SP version) is still holding up well despite stringing it @ 26lbs. I clashed it once ot twice before as well.

I think it's most prob your stringer's fault, cmd17uc.....

19. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    stringers fault

actually, i recently took it back to the stringer and he sent it to yonex. Official statement, "factory defect". So the stringer accredited me the money and i got a brand new mp-99. Only problem is, i liked the ti swing ss more than that. Oh well, live and learn. I forgot who started this thread, but if you are going to play singles you really should get either the ss or sx ti swing model (between that and the ti-7 that is).

20. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Sorry, I mean to say that non-SP are more durable. :p