The Club Challenge

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by vienb, Jul 12, 2009.

1. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Visualise:

Me dismounting my horse, slowly slipping off my left riding glove, and *SLAP* you across the face, challenging you to a game of badminton … for honour and reputation will you accept?

Reason:

The badminton tournament season is too short, its only just began and already it’s nearing the end with only 2 major tournaments left … Melbourne Uni Graded and Monash Uni Graded, both of which is schedule for next month … I blame and hold accountable those lazy Badminton Victorian and Badminton Australia’s Committee for this, in my opinion they have grossly neglected their prime duty of promoting and furthering the game of badminton … too occupied are their focus on “veteran” and “junior” tournaments that they’ve forgotten the bread and butter of the badminton society … we pay our ever increasing Badminton Australia’s registration for what I ask, so that they may swindle our fees decorating their headquarters in ivory and gold, and to host extravagant veteran and junior tournament which is a waste of time and effort, old people shouldn’t be playing badminton they should be sitting at home awaiting death, and what fruit of success have we gotten by investing in the youth … in my opinion generation Y is a write off.
    Dissolution and disappointed with the badminton body of Australia’s lack of interested in the competitive players that matters, I and like minded badminton players have decided to take action.
    We propose to have a club vs club competition, where club’s send a team or teams of players to challenge us in a team tournament style of badminton.
    The challenging team can choose one of the choices of pool format propose below or we can work out something different. We can have a 1 home and 1 away game, players can all chip in to cover court and shuttle cost.

1) 5 Vs 5 , 10 double games( 1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 1&5, 2&3, 2&4, 2&5, 3&4, 3&5, 4&5)
    2) 4 Vs 4, 6 double games (1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 2&3, 2&4, 3&4)
    3) 3 Vs 3, 3 single and 3 double (1&2, 1&3, 2&3)

As a proud Victorian, I welcome interstate feral to come and challenge us here … or we can arrange for us to travel to your backward bogan infested inbred state and beat you on your home ground mozzie ridden swamp patches.

Sweetener :
    There should be a winner trophy for each winning team member which the losing team would subsidise

So if you or your club is up to the challenge, post your acceptance here ...

I am Carl Hinksey
    And I am representing Titans Badminton Club

Disclaimer: The Views and Opinion expressed in this posting are that of Carl Hinksey and are in no ways a representation of the Views or Opinions of any members of the Titans Badminton Club. This posting has NOT been approved or sanction by Titans Badminton Club. Ashley is a big girl

2. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Vien you are no longer welcomed at Titans. I assume Loke Poh will also ban you from every tournament whilst he is president.

3. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

vienb, dude, say NO to drug. haha.

4. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    I'm innocent, it was Carl :)
    .. Besides, I'm safe .. Loke Poh never reads BadmintonCentral's thread :D

5. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

Nonetheless, it's a good idea to promote interclub competition regularly and more systematically! :p

6. SmashBoi

SmashBoi Regular Member

And that's IF Melbourne Uni is holding a tournament...

7. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    OK now that was a challenge of epic proportions. Lucky for the disclaimer because without it, I think you would be the ONLY Titan member turning up hehe:p

But hilarity does mirror fact and the FACTS are that there are just NOT ENOUGH badminton tournaments in the year:mad:

I like interclub, but we want singles, mixed, everything!! We are a greedy lot, that can never satisfy our badminton tastebuds.

BRING ON the Micronesia badminton challenge, if the TITAN badminton club can not beat your national team, I will run through the streets of Melbourne NAKED {had to upstage Vien in some way around here:rolleyes:}

8. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    You're right Anthony .. i may have joked about it but there is about 10 times more junior and/or veteran tournament in a year then there are normal graded tournament. And I'm betting that most badminton players would be like us between 19 to 35 so we're not eligible for 80% of tournaments.:mad:

.. and Anthony I'm willing to throw a match just to get you streaking in Melbourne .. in the middle of winter .. guess you're not worried about strinkage :p

9. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Trust me, they'll run a tournament. I can't remember the last time MUBC DIDN'T run an annual tournament.

Btw, it's Melbourne Uni Open & Graded now :p

10. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Remind me not to be in Melbourne when you plan this escapade :eek:

11. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

I think the problem is that there are not enough associations/clubs who actually have the means to run tournaments. Generally, a club (like MUBC) will run a tournament on their own merits (using their own money) and have that tournament affiliated with Badminton Victoria.

You need a few thousand dollars to run a tournament and most social or university clubs may not have that kind of money.

I'm not sure what the solution would be. At the moment, I think there's about 0.8 tournaments every month. Maybe at least having 1 a month would be nice. 2 every month might be too much as we're not a very large community (the tournament playing badminton community, that is).

I think it would be nice to have a graded state pennant as well as the usual one.

12. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    I haven't run a large tournament before (only a few interclub matches consisting of about 40 players) but I don't think there is much cash outlay to run a tournament as most of the player's fees will be collected well before the tournament day. I think it is more a case of someone taking the reigns and organising the tournament.

Even though I have heard some dissenting comments about Jacky's tournaments, I have to admit he is taking the initiative and organising regular tournaments. I think without Jacky's input there would be much less than 0.8 tournaments a month.

We kinda have a graded state pennant in the form of the weekly competitions run by CBA. However only a handful of clubs are represented. Most clubs in Melbourne keep to themselves and it is no surprise to me that no clubs have put up their hands to challenge Titans even after Vien's crude invitation. We do have two interclub matches lined up in the next 2 months but there are many other clubs out there happliy existing in isolation.

13. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Yes, that's true so long as everyone pays beforehand which is not usually the case, although you could make it a condition of entry.

Yeah, Jacky runs at least 2 or 3 a month. Without those tournaments there would probably only be about 0.6 a month.

The main point I wanted to make was that it is not BVs sole responsibility to create and run tournaments. This is compounded by the fact that there wouldn't have much funding. In a perfect world badminton would be #1 and BV/BA would have all the funding they needed to run lots of tournaments and/or leagues.

I'm not sure why so many clubs are not interested in inter-club competition. Perhaps most players are happy to just play socially. The friendly comps are definitely a step in the right direction, though.

14. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Let’s get one thing straight, I AM NOT PROPOSING A WHOOSIE “Friendly comp” between clubs.
    I want a bitter grudge match, bloody and bruising. I want people to play for their pride and dignity.
    Because after loosing to me I won’t be shaking their hands and saying good game, no I’ll be taunting them for my own amusement. I want to leave all defeated foes demoralise and with a lasting impression of fear to never dare challenge me again.

Since its been a whole week and no one has yet to step up and challenge, I can only conclude that badminton in Australia has been overrun and ruined by whoosies
    … namely BA and BV committees, whom from what I’ve been able to read into Ashley’s and Andrew posting are allegedly syphoning all of the vast badminton riches into their secret overseas Swiss bank account leaving badminton in this country too broke to host a basic badminton tournament

…. I am completely outrage and want a Royal Commission into this seriously sham allegation.
    Let the witch hunt begin and all those alleged, you will be convicted in a kangaroo court of law.

Disclaimer: Everything claim here is true so long as it is not false, and Ashley is a girl

15. MUBC Secretary

MUBC Secretary Regular Member

We (MUBC) will run a tournament this year, but only graded. The details will be finalized on Friday, 21/Aug/2009. I will spam this sub-forum when everything is done. :D

I'm actually not opposed to the idea of an inter-club competition. However, it would be difficult to run it at our club for the following reasons:

1. Our courts get cancelled all the time, so it's difficult to commit to regular competitions.
    2. We have lots of members and not enough courts, so even when we have courts, the courts will be very busy.
    3. Most of our members are students, and they don't play regularly, so it's difficult to get people to play consistently in a long tournament.
    In order for an inter-club tournament to work, someone will have to organize it, host a website to keep all the results and coordinate the schedules -- that's a lot of time and effort.

The tournament itself will have to run during semesters to attract student players, and have to finish before the exams, otherwise, you will not get enough participants.

If we can find someone to host the tournaments, and agree on a schedule for the matches. Then we can do something similar to the surdiman cup:

(1) Each club fields a certain number of teams at different grades.
    (2) Each week, we have a competition between 2 teams of the same grade, playing 5 matches: MS, MD, XD, WD, WS.
    (3) The hosting club provides all the shuttles.

5 matches per week is manageable. More than that, our club members will start to complain.

Just some ideas.

MUBC Secretary.

16. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    ... again let me stop and correct people right there ....

I'm NOT after another weekly competition that goes for 50 long weeks follow by another 2 weeks of finals ... there's already plenty of associations that do that sort of stuff.

.. what i'm proposing is street style badminton .. you bring a group of players, we'll bring our group ... and we just play off .. its that simple .. lets not complicate things with website and such .. if you want we can just post the result here afterward .. its just a bit of fun adhoc badminton tournament :)

Let me get the ball rolling again .... I challenge the Phillipino Badminton Association to a tournament ... bring your best 10 PBA players male and/or female players you have and I'll get together 10 players together to challenge .... if i dont hear back from a PBA representative i can only assume that they've chicken out cause they know they're no good at badminton ... hence leaving me no choice but to lable them gutless chickens on every badminton web site i log onto .. which is pretty much just BC :D

17. MUBC Secretary

Yeah, that's doable too, if you wanna challenge us, I could spam the players from our club with your puny challenges and see if anyone wants to put you into your place. :D

We could do this outside of the MUBC social sessions too.

The cost of the games will of course be equally shared.

MUBC Secretary.

18. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Great finally a challenger ! … a 102nd tier challenger at that, I guess I’ll have to warm up against you guys whilst waiting for a real challenger to comes along.
    Being Melbourne uni I’m assuming your standards are about Z or Y grade. We might have to give you guys some starter points advantage of 15 to 20 point just to make it a bit fairer.
    Is Sammy going to be in your team, cause if he is I’m going to have to bring some tissues along just in case he tears up again when he looses, and tell Ferdi I call him ugly and said he’s baby sister has a better smash then he does… in fact tell all your “male” players I called them maffa’s with too much eyeliners and lipsticks .. and that that South African girl runner Caster Semenya is more man then they’ll ever be.:D

19. MUBC Secretary

You are on. Please let me know how many of you are coming and when it would suit you ... so I can prepare enough stretchers to carry you guys out of the stadium. :D

20. keenweisam

keenweisam Regular Member

wow... thank goodness i don't really belong to one particular club then.
    vien, what about for players like me who don't have a particular affiliation with one specific club?