*sigh* Weird stringing job

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Randomlegend, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    Just got my racket restrung at virtually the only place I can round here. My mum took it in so I didn't speak to the guy. However, apparantly he said he would just replace the cross strings. I don't know whether thats good practice or not, but anyway, I just got the racket back and there are :confused:five:confused: knots.

Is this going to be a problem? Has he bodged something?

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that's quite a common thing in the uk, i'd never heard of it until i came over to this country. apparently it's a cost saving measure, if it's the first break, either on the mains or cross, they just restring those and leave the others. personally i've never liked this method, i can't imagine how the string tension could be as consistent as a full restring, and don't know if it's good for your racquet or your play. did the stringer charge you noticeably less?

3. Randomlegend

School
    Yeah, like less than half a full restring. Why are there 5 knots though?

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Wait , randomlegend - wheir did you break your string?

The stringer might have just tied one more string - instead of doing the whole thing.

This happened once to my brother , the bottom cross the stringer didn't do a whole re-string just replaced the last cross , but he got it for free.

5. Randomlegend

School
    Right at the top. However, he said he replaced all the cross strings and having met him a few times I am inclined to trust him on that.

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmm thats strange - I've never heard of replacing only all the cross strings?

Could you tell us wheir the 5th knot is please?

7. Randomlegend

School
    As I look at the head now I have one bottom left, two bottom right, one top right, one top left.

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

well, have you played with it since it was restrung?
    if it plays fine for you, then i guess there's no harm, saves you a bob or two.
    did he use the same type of string as the previous ones which snapped?

9. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

could you just post a picture plz?

10. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

This is a joke, well at least not a funny one. Firstly, never accept a bodge job. Secondly patch jobs for any one but outdoor recreation players will never be accurate enough. Always get your strings cut and a new set put on. That means you may have to cut them yourself which you should already be doing. Thirdly, unless your stringer tied two pieces of string together, than there cannot be 5 knots. On a tensioned racket there CANNOT be an uneven number of knots because every string will have a start, and an end.

11. Randomlegend

School
    :( Thats what I thought.

I am playing tonight so I will try it. If its not right then I will take it back to him.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, do a quick inspection on whether the entire crosses (22 or 23 pieces) are all brand new, or only 1 or 2 pieces are new.

However, either way I consider it's a poor practice, as the tension will be mostly un-even, whether it's between crosses, or main vs. cross, as the stringer will no way to know what's the remaining tension is, and how it's being distributed.

Also, due to wear and tear of other strings (main, or partially cross), the racket needs another re-strung faster than normal. Therefore, the so-call cost saving simply does not make too much sense either.

My suggestion is to look for a reputable stringer next time.

13. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah , or just ask the stringer for a whole re-string and not just a little repair.

The way he has strung your racket may cause the strings to break really quickly.

Anyway - do tell us how it goes.

14. Randomlegend

School
    As i said, I wasn't there when when my mum took it in and I didn't realise that is what he would do. I am looking out for a different stringer for next time, or maybe buying a machine and learning to string myself (earn some extra money as well hopefully).

Playing in an hour so I will report back how it plays.

Anyone live near me and know a good stringer (Norwich area, UK)

15. Alom

Alom Regular Member

For stringing service, try this website:

http://badstringer.co.uk/default.aspx

Not sure how he/she does the re-stringing. Phone them up and ask. They seem to be quite knowledgeable.

16. geopri

geopri Regular Member

carpenter
    As a stringer and reading all the replies I would hazard a guess that your rackets had five crosses at the head and now has four. (Look at the top of the racket where the mains meet the crosses and see if you now have four instead of five) If you have broken the top string it is my guess that he has tensioned the fourth cross at the head and tied into the next grommet up hence your five knots. If he had strung all the crosses you would still only have four knots. It dosen't usally become a problem if retensioned on a stringing machine.

17. Mwesty

Mwesty Regular Member

Alternatively, give me a try. It means sticking your racquet in the post and waiting a couple days if your not in the Merseyside region but it's worth it. http://www.racquetrestrings.com < my website