Drop shot technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Harry K, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Harry K

Harry K Guest

I've been playing doubles recently against much stronger pairs and the thing I noticed about all these guys is how good their drop shots from the back of the court are.

They hardly seem to smash at all. They keep pulling us forward with fast, tight drop shots and then smash to finish off the rally as soon as we hit one weak clear.

I know the basic technique of taking the shuttle high and early, and using the tape of the net to aim, and also slicing across the shuttle to bring it down faster.

Are there any other techniques that I should use and are there any good practice drills?

Thanks

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    A classic drill is the "lift-drop-drop-lift-drop-drop" combo. This also gives a good workout ;-) Others may call it differently, but here's how it works:

Two players, A & B.

1. Player A starts, by serving high and long (like a lift) to B.

2. B returns by dropping the shuttle from the back court, just over the net.

3. A returns the drop by a drop (hairpin) just over the net.

4. B lifts the shuttle high all the way to the back court.

5. A returns by dropping from bac court.

6. B makes a hairpin drop.

And so on, ad infinitum... lift-drop-drop-lift-drop-drop...
    This is actually one of my favorite drills. Usually we do it on half a court, so that all shots are straight. If you want to really work up a sweat, use the whole court.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Having a good smash makes the drop more effective (deceptive)

4. vince

vince Guest

That is a classic drill, forgot all about it until I read your post.

5. vince

vince Guest

Very true but if you don't have good smash, than a good offensive clear also helps your drop shot more effective too (not as effective as a good smash).

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

OT MRC tourney

vince, which event(s) have you entered? I might try testing u out.

7. vince

vince Guest

Re: OT MRC tourney

I entered single and double but not mix (no badminton chick friend :( ). In case I get my ass kick (mostly likely), here is my excuses: Mount Royal courts are poorly draw, difficult to follow the shuttle because of bad lighting, and I only play with feather bird once. For sure I am in single, but my double looks very dim, my supposed partner never send in his entry form. He said he will pay the day of the tournament, can he do that?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I heard that those thin camouflaged badminton court lines have been redrawn to correct width and white (not too sure on the color though).

I'm not sure in the MRC case but i think one should able to pay at the day of tournament. Is MRC ABC part of the Alberta Series?

9. vince

vince Guest

It kind of strange talking to you in two different threads about the same subject. It likes being in a time warp ;). The last time I was at Mount Royal, they used durable black and red tape to cover the camouflaged line but the width stay the same, 1" instead of the regular 1.5". The way they draw the badminton courts in Mount Royal, it pretty much tell you badminton take the backseat of other sports. Huh?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Just came back from MRC today. Half of the white tapes for badminton were removed. Look like there is battle of lines going on there.

11. vince

vince Guest

Ken and Dave goes to Mount Royal College too, they are the last year Stratmore double winners who beat my classmate in the final. They likely will be in the Stratmore tournament because is a money prize tournament and the people who run that tournament supposely know them really well. Did you get a chance to play them?