User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rules say some part of both feet......must remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service until the service is delivered. It is my understanding that the toes or forefoot do qualify as belonging to some part of both feet, simply because they cannot be part of anything else. The meaning of stationary means the feet must be in a fixed station. In other words, you cannot change the boundaries of the footprint of your feet. Raising your toes or your heels or even moving your body, whilst still staying within the fixed boundaries of your footprint, is within the meaning of "in a stationary position" insofar as your footprint is concerned. However, if any of part of your feet move away, ever so slightly, from the footprint, then it is not "in a stationary position" even if any part of your legs or body were to be as still as a rock. On the other hand, moving any part of your upper extremities with your feet still in the same station is not moving away from a fixed station, as you are not moving the goal post. For example, the very act of serving constitutes a movement of the upper extremities. Is this any different from moving your body forward or transferring your bodyweight from the rear foot to the front foot, resulting in your rear foot rising on its toes or forefoot, when you are serving?
    The confusion lies in the word stationary. The way I look at "stationary" does seem to make the confusion go away. Or have I got it wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Or have I got it wrong?
    I don't think you are wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After playing 2 months of straight badminton, i can admit that i'm obsessed. And i know the rules pretty well and that indeed was an illegal serve. It states that your only allowed one forward motion of your racquet per serve. So by move youre raqcuet forward, even if its only slightly is an illegal serve.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3