Is there such thing as fake racquets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by gamepurpose, Jul 18, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    wat is it that between "REAL" or "FAKE" racquet?
    Can you feel the differences?
    or is it just because the looks?
    where it made?

---------------

Ok beside that. Real situation!
    my friend's brother bought ARC 7 in vietnam. 2 of them (because the price is so damn cheap, 130 bucks differences?), they both look the same, I suppose becuz if even itz fake and it's from a company that produce them, they should look the same. Overall it looks decend and nice.
    And unfortunately, my friend bought another arc 7 (I guess this is so called the real one? well he bought it at SGVBC, if anyone of you guys think or know sgvbc is selling fake stuffs please tell me).

So anyway 1 from SGVBC: well balance (i'm not sure I forgot), 3 U?, umm anyway feels good

The 1 from Vietnam: well balance, pretty much the same, however, there are some spots that are different (in looks i mean, like the word size,)

But I only able to find out one thing that is big different is SGVBC's racquet has the serial code of USxxxxx, and Vietnam's racquet TWxxxxx

So which one is fake? or they both real?
    Is it just the manufactor locations? one in US and one in Taiwan?

2. tsundere

tsundere Regular Member

the "word size"? you mean the "ArcSaber 7"and some other words on the rackets looks bolder? This means the racket has a greater chance to be a forgery...

the serial number xxxxxxTW means this racket is supposed to sell in TaiWan, but if the Vietnam dealer bought them from Taiwan, it can be real. you can't judge it's fake or not just by it's US or TW.

you'd better check the anti-torsion level of these racket, a genuine arc7 is hard to twist, and a fake one must be easier.

stare at 2-3 genuine YY rackets for 10 mins everyday, and keep doing this for 2 weeks....
    then you can tell the difference between "fake" and "real" very easily...

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    how about Rolex watch?
    how can we determine the fake one? both also working, both also showing the same accurate time. :confused: one selling at USD10, another is selling at USD5000.

same to YY rackets. the fakes, sometimes are just too good. hard to tell apart. it needs close-up look to determine which one is fake, which one is real deal. post some close-up photos, be sure some one here will spot it in no time. ;)

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    please let me apology for my insignificant terminology wise. So wat is "anti-torsion" means? =)
    My best guess is the triangle shape, cone?
    But yea let me try to take picture of the racquets, well gotta borrow some camera first, i'm not that rich yet =(
    I don't want to use phone camera and turn out is not good enough, that just waste of time.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem for fake, is there's no standard. If you are lucky, you may end up with something useable for a while. If you are not, it can be done within a few hours of playing time.

The fundamental idea to produce fake is to trick the customer, and provide no responsibility (otherwise, will setup it's own legit brand). So, let say you plan to sell fake yonex which can be sold for $100, will you select some decent made racket which cost $50 each, or, you select some total crap, which only cost you $5 to make? Since the intention is to rip off, and to gain as much profit as possible, mostly you will go with the $5 racket, and re-paint, then sell. So, get the idea? ;)

6. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

I totally agree with you. The aim of fake is not to sell you a "decent" or "usable" racquet, but to immitate the real enough that it fools you into buying it and therefore make a huge profit for the sellers themselves.

As such, there is very low quality control or standard. You don't know what the material is made of, or the true balance and the rigidness of the frame, or how much tension you can put on. depending on your level of play, this may not be a problem. i mean, if you're just starting off, then buying a cheap racquet would really suffice. but once you start playing serious, then those things start to matter.

why should you not buy rake racquets? it's the same reason why you should not use counterfit fake money/currency. it encourages those sellers to further sell more fakes by rewarding them; also, most likely you're stuck with the fakes once you buy it because no one else would want to buy them from you. and if you knowingly sell fake racquets to someone, well, you become a fake seller.

as for how can you tell if it's fake or not, why not simply go to a local racquetshop and talk it over with the owner and see if they can show you a real racquet for comparison? the shop owners i've met are really friendly and they love to talk about the sport and equipment with people. you just have to be open minded and not be defensive about buying the racquet IF it turns out they/it is fake and accept it.

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Fake isnt' a brand, you can't buy the same product. There are millions of fakes of like ARC10, produced by hundreds of factories, with different qualities.

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    fake racquets come with fake standards :p

9. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

post a picture :p