Yonex Stringing Tension Recommendations

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by twocentsworth, Oct 9, 2002.

1. twocentsworth

twocentsworth Regular Member

Private employee
    I wonder why most people dont follow the max stringing recommendation of Yonex. Most everyone will go up 2-3lbs more. And there are others that will go way overboard. Isnt there a research in Yonex saying, " The tension that they recommend is the optimum for a type of racquet. That a certain tension will give the highest level of Power and/or Control...any tension higher is just a waste"

And if everyone strings racquets 2-3 lbs more, then shouldnt Yonex reinforce the racquets so much so that it will be safe to bring the string tension up.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The trouble is that 'optimum' varies for different playing styles.

Then again, if you buy cars, the manufacturer always says take it to an authorised dealer for servicing every xxxx miles/km. Many people don't follow that advice yet still happily run their cars. Same type of situation.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    same as tire pressure rating. I highly doubt that the real tire pressure of all the cars on the street are at the rated pressure.

4. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    that's just the general guidline, the play style can be very different from player to player. for example, if I got a mp 100 strung at 22 lbs, and after awhile as my skills are getting better, I felt "dang, the string tension is way too lose, I need a stiffer net to control better" thus I raised up the string tension to 24 lbs. Yonex is just setting up a general guidline for people to follow, but peeps adjust it as their skills, playing style changes.

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Warrenty Problem

if you go over the tension and snap the racket during play afterwards... Yonex wont take responsibilities in replacing your racket... or so I've heard

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree. Generally, when goes up to 22+ or 23+ lbs, the higher the tension, the more skill required. As long as u still think u r at "int. lvl" or below, my suggestion is go between 20 - 21 lb.

I consider myself more like a int. double player (sucks for single :( ), therefore, all my rackets are stringed at 20 - 21 lbs. All of them so far give me very good control as well as power.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Actually... it's not the matter of skill, but your ability to generate swing speed/swing power.

For me, I've always been "pretty fit" and can generate quite an amount of power outta my arm/wrist

my first racket i got restrung was restrung at 22lbs. Which was the beginning of the year (and for comparison reasons... I've only been playing for lil over a yr now), and I've always used the 22 tension for all my rackets. (2u or 3u)

I'm still not too good a player for both singles or doubles unfortunately (anyone knows that there's a limit of how much ppl can improve within a yr... especially when he's never played badminton before)

Pros use higher tension because they are all really well built and know how to control their strength prefectly well. but if string is too lose and they hit a net shot just a quarter of an inch higher than they're suppose to, it's possible that they get the bird rite bak in their face

well.. i doubt anyone will understand what I'm saying... kinda tired rite now... but uh... my point is... there's no tension : skill ratio out there....

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Not really agree. As long as the racket's tension is 16+ (maybe better say 18+) lbs, ppl with good skill can still generate a lot of power, as well as accurate net control.
    I saw some ppl in my club, they just using basic models (metal shaft + head, cheap factory string), they still awsome players.

Good rackets with a little bit higher tension surely will boost ppl to another lvl, but before going to int. lvl, I don't really suggest ppl to put 22+ lbs. I saw some case, that ppl put 25 lb tension, and try to be a "pro" in 1 night, end up play with no control at all, and broken racket in 1 month.

I think, 22 lbs or below, is acceptable for most players. Depend on the style u play, u either go with more power, or more control. Once it goes 23 or above, u really need some good skill to "optimize" ur weapon.

9. twocentsworth

Private employee
    I think that's precisely the point. With so many people going above the recommended tensions, I think that Yonex should have a warranty extending more than 22lbs.

It would be good though to have some info on how much further a ball will carry for every lb. drop in string tension.

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    actually... if they warrenty it for over 22 lbs... i bet there'd be some dumbass newbie(no offense to anyone :p) out there who think they are some world class superstar and start string their rackets at 30something lbs... and in which case would constantly be breaking rackets... which Yonex would not be making a profit out of. Knowing Yonex... I dont think they are THAT stupid... :D

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Maybe Yonex and other racquet companies set their warranty at 22lbs since that might be the max tension where you can get the most performance without sacrificing too much of the racquet's life. Kinda like speed limits, 55mph is the speed where a car can travel and be most efficient with gasoline usage but heck no one drives at that speed, you'd get rear-ended and hunked at. Anyway, a racquet at 18-22 lbs is good enough for most beginners or intermediates. Advance players and pros have the resources to string at high tension and optimize performance w/o caring too much about racquet replacement and string replacement.

12. twocentsworth

Private employee
    Carlton Warranty

Carlton (At least here in the Philippines) comes with a 6 month warranty for tension up to 25 lbs. Wish Yonex had the same for its local distributor. Anyway, thanks and happy playing to all.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Carlton Warranty

Wow, I won't be too surprised that if Yonex follows, we will see threads like "can I do 28 lbs"???

:D

14. TartanSparkle

TartanSparkle Regular Member

Student
    I think it's always safe to say at the forum no matter what subject that everyone has there own preference in racket, string, grip, tension, weight blah blah, etc etc.

As a beginner and some advancement after beginner-hood, I always had rackets strung at 22lbs. However, as I have advanced a heck of a lot more over the years and started to play with the proper big boys I find 22lbs to be of no effect for my game.
    I now have my Ti Swing-Power SS at 26lbs and this allows return of smashes and my own smashes to be more powerful and "full" (when I say full, I mean strong controlled and balanced shots) Hitting a drop shot from the back of the court can be the finest and cutest little "dink", with little to no effort at all.

Whilst defending an international level players smash just sticking out my 26lbs Bg68-Tis allows a sound return and time to await the next shot.

Grant

15. modious

modious Regular Member