playing surfaces

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Don, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Don

Don Regular Member

I've played on 3 types of surfaces thus far: wood, rubber and concrete. I personally prefer wood and rubber, but wood over all. Concrete is just horrible on the joints. I never realised this before, but my style of play varies on all 3 surfaces drastically. I tend to attack more on rubber surfaces and place more on wood. I also move quicker and more gracefully on wood as oppose to rubber. Does anyone have this playing style?

2. May

May Guest

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I have only played on wood and concrete, so I don't really know about rubber. But I too play very differently on concrete compared to wood. I feel slower on concrete, and do less really deep lunges and high jumps than I do on wood. It's almost like there's something about a concrete floor that holds me back a little. I definitely prefer wood over concrete.

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Prehaps you attack more on the rubber surface because its much less slippery. I've played on rubber, concrete and on wood (Parque) i think thats how you spell it. The wooden floors tend to be very slippery and difficult to attack on. When i play on wooden floors, i'm afraid of doing smashes off high drop shots due to the fear of touching the net.

5. Bob

Bob Guest

where would you find concrete courts? here i've only come accross rubber and wood.

6. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

I have played on various surfaces - rubber (foam carpet), wood, concrete, and tile (I believe that's what they have at Whampoa CC for those in Singapore). In any case, I don't particularly have any preference, as long as the surfaces are well cleaned and not slippery. I did however notice that I moved slightly slower on the foam/wooden floors compared to a properly cleaned concrete/tile surface. If the floors are slippery, I tend to be less aggressive, since it will be more difficult for me to recover afterwards.