flex or stiff? (yonex-wise)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by redsun615, Jul 20, 2009.

1. redsun615

redsun615 Regular Member

does flex give more power/control or stiff rackets?

like...i can get more power from my arc10(stiff) than my ns9900 (extra stiff)...but my friend's the complete opposite...and we debate which one is better but we can never come to a conclusion...

does swing speed have much to do with this? or even if you use more wrist or arm?

any comments?

thanks~

#1 redsun615, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

it all depends on the player
    how fast they could flick their wrist
    flex rackets is more easy to bend so its great for beginners
    stiff is the opposite of flex so its good for strong flickers

3. redsun615

redsun615 Regular Member

ic....how about smashing-wise?

4. Deathsticks

it goes for any kind of shot
    shots that are fast atleast

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Okay now I have a question.

A lot of people are saying , as long as you have good wrist strength you can handle a more flex racket.

But , its not just wrist strength , it is the total swing speed?

Sureley someone who uses pure arm strength but has the same swing speed as soemone who uses a lot of their wrist strenght , can still flex the racket?

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yes I know it depends on the racket , because all rackets have different stiffnesses.

7. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    the stiffer, less user friendly

more flex, easier to handle

8. Deathsticks

well not really
    i think its impossible that swing speed can be as fast as wrist speed? but that just a guess
    but total swing speed is important to

9. All But One

All But One Regular Member

Student
    To elaborate on Deathsticks earlier post and from what i have read and understood on other posts,

A stiff racket requires a very fast snappy swing to allow the shaft to bend and recover during the swing and impart extra force on the shuttle.

If you do a short snappy swing with a flexible racket i assume the shaft won't recover in time and may absorb power on impact with shuttle reducing over all speed.Therefore a flexible racket should respond better with longer swings to allow recovery.

So... which ever type of swing gives you the most racket speed (at impact with shuttle) determines the racket stiffness which gives you the best power.

Control is different, in terms of shot accuracy a stiffer shaft is better as it provides a rigid base to hit off, the same reason why higher tension strings give more accurate smashes.
    net play involves very slow racket movement, i would say the shaft plays no noticeable role in netplay, string tension is what matters here.

Hope this is helpful.

10. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    im a little confused here because the badminton england coaching manual doesent include an overhead action with use of the wrist, the power comes from the pull back of the racket (creating added rebound power) and then the forearm rotation.

back on topic a flexible racket would be used by a player looking to gain more power from a slower action. a stiffer racket would come into use when the player has improved their action and can generate much faster racket speed. think of it like this, if you were to put a flexible racket in a vice and then bend/release it you would get some power. if you repeated this with a stiffer racket and bent the racket to the same position you would see much more power but at the cost of more pressure.

oh and to inform you i started with ns6000's (flexible) and then went to ns9000's and now im playing with ns9900's.

you may find the the rackets are made from different molecules do provide different feels and you and your friend just have different playing styles i guess. also the balance of the arc10 is medium i believe and ns9900 is head light.

#10 adamp1, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  11. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    What string tension will you recommend if your racquet's flex is stiff? Will you go for high tension or low? why?

i just wanna know so i can use better combination to my racquet.

does stiff and extra stiff flexed racquets are poor in control but better in smashing?

thanks a lot guys

12. Deathsticks

the flexibility dosen't touch how much tension a racket hold
    flexibility only applys to the shaft of the racket
    but id say 21-24

13. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    yes, flex in on the shaft of a racquet and string tension is different. what i mean, if you have a stiff racquet, will you strung your racquet to the maximum tension it can hold (24lbs)? will it affect your control/net play and power of your smash? or flex and string tension go in separate ways or has no relationship at all when it comes to control and power? hope i made clear... thanks

14. Deathsticks

higher tension means more accuracy...
    but i wouldn't care
    i use low tension(21lbs)
    i still get my shots were i want them

15. cali_n0ob

cali_n0ob Regular Member

more flex = more control
    less flex = more power (but only if you can hit hard/flick wrist, etc.)

16. Deathsticks

partly true
    if a strong flicker use a more flex racket and he/she hits a flat shot,
    and the contact of the racket and the birde is on the side of the racket
    it can bend side ways causing it to go sideways when he/she wants it to go straight

17. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Buzz!!! Wrong!
    The more flex the racquet, the slower the speed of the swing you shall use. If you swing too fast and too hard, the shaft will not be able to rebound back to exert the power stored in your swing.

The more stiff the racquet, the fastest the speed of the swing you shall use. If you swing too slow, you won't be able to "bend" the racquet's shaft for it to transfer power.

Also, power does not necessarily come from your flick. It also depends on how much power you can "borrow" from the racquet. Try flicking a AT700, see if you can perform a good smash.

Beginners usually stick with Beginner's racquets. If they use stiff racquets, they will easily acquire injuries in shoulder, elbow, and wrist.

For control and power, it all depends on how skillful you are in badminton and the tension of your string bed.

Most tournament players use very high tension, 30lbs+. The reason is because they can handle it.

High tension allows the player (if skillful) to be able to control the birdie more easily in a fast paced game because there is little repulsion from the string bed, making the strings very hard and dead. This is only true for net-play and drops, which you don't want the birdie to go too high, making a mistake that will allow your opponent to gain points.

Low tension allows the player to use his/her power more easily because of the high repulsion from the string bed.

I can't fully explain the concept, maybe someone can step in to finish and correct me.

#17 Gemcat, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  18. redsun615

redsun615 Regular Member

yea i get it now...a friend of mine explained it to me....its actually a lot of physics going on....like...how the racket bends and returns to its original shape....

flex just makes it easier for beginners to generate more power...cuz its easier to bend the racket and let it naturally return to its original shape to get power...but at the same time if an experienced player used that same racket....that power is capped...due to its flexiness, the rebound force is less cuz the racket can only bend so much....and the accuracy is lower cuz when the racket rebounds back to its original position there is uncertainty of the racket going left or right before going back to its non-flexed position...

on the other hand

a stiff racket ....has more power because the rebound force is much greater, cuz the tendancy for the racket to go back to its original position is much higher due to the high stiffness...and similar with accuracy.....due to the stiffness the racket has less leeway to move left and right during impact of the birdie...

tension is another story...but the higher the tension, more power is transfered from your arm to the racket then to the birdie with minimal energy loss .... with lower tensions....the strings absorb some of the energy as the birdie is hit....

in conclusion:
    the racket is essentially your energy transfer point to the birdie...the less energy you lose the more power you get...in a way you can say that stiff rackets are more "efficient" than flex rackets....cuz there is less energy loss when applied the same force...

yea....thats my take on it through a physics outlook....correct me if iam wrong...its a general idea...heh

#18 redsun615, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    Vijay Dabhi likes this.