Mobile phones

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by venkatesh, Jul 21, 2009.

1. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Living in a country dubbed as the "texting capital of the world" (as per Wikipedia), people here have regarded mobile phones as a necessity and a luxury at the same time. Everywhere you look, you'd see people texting ... the malls, the streets, and even the slums. Children as young as 10 years already have their own cellphone. Yuppies even have two units in their pockets --- one for Globe and one for Smart (the two largest networks in the Philippines). Well-off people upgrade their mobile phones almost every other month, buying the latest model in the store.

I, on the other hand, have had my cellphone for 3 years. Wooohooo. I'm not really the techy type who keeps updated about the latest gadgets, but I think it's about time to buy a new one.

I have done my research and came up with two phones that I can afford and are packed with the functions I want.

These are ... wait for it ...

The Samsung S8000 Jet and the LG KM900 Arena.

Here comes your part. I need help in deciding which one to buy. I have seen the specs of the two units. The way I see it (as in, in the eyes of a techno noob), they're almost the same. I like the front design of the Jet, but the back looks cheap. The Arena looks okay and is packed with a higher internal memory, but the Arena does not support flash (so no Youtube). The camera quality of Jet, as the reviewers put it, is disappointing.

I'd really like to hear from those who have used these 2 units.

Also, I'm still open to other suggestions. My requirements are as follows: 5 MP cam or higher and shoots good images, price range same as the Jet and Arena, with Video recording, with video call, with WiFi, with radio, upgradeable memory (with SD slot), touch screen, and of course, the basic functions of a mobile phone.

And to take full advantage of this thread, I'd also like to hear what cellphone you are using, how satisfied are you with it, etc. It would also be nice if you post a picture of it too.

2. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Oh, here are the pictures of Samsung S8000 jet, LG KM900 Arena, and my current cellphone, Nokia 6280.

Attached Files:

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Drooling now for a Iphone 3Gs...

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I've seen its specs. It's really nice and all, but I can't afford it. There are functions that I wouldn't be able to utilize, and there are functions missing.

But for your pleasure, here's a pic to drool more :)

Attached Files:

5. modious

modious Regular Member

Yeah I am most probably getting the iPhone 3GS in another few weeks......

Initially I wanted to get the HTC Touch Diamond but changed my mind. :D

[​IMG]

Actually, I'm considering whether to get the upcoming Sony Ericsson Satio mobile phone..... But guess I couldn't wait any longer. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Besides, I had a bad experience using Sony Ericsson P1i mobile phone.

Don't want to talk about it. :mad:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oops!! Sorry off-topic here and guess my post wouldn't help TS much...... :eek:

#5 modious, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I am currently using Nokia N82 and Nokia N95(8GB). Usually, the ownership of my mobile phones will not last long, maybe one to two years. Actually I prefer Sony Ericsson mobile phones (sound, image quality, and design are very nice). However, I already stick to the message typing style of Nokia :( For Nokia phones, when I want to type chinese words, I can just switch it by pressing the # button. If I want to type english word, I just need to press # to change the option. But, it is totally different for Sony Ericsson phones. I really feel not comfortable when using a Sony Ericsson phone to sms. I tried to use my sister's Sony Ericsson G705 to type messages, but when I want to switch to chinese words, I have to go to the menu and select it. It is very troublesome. So, forever I also have to stick with Nokia phones. :D Now, I am attracted to two new Nokia phones namely N86 and N97. I am hesitating which one should I buy. :(

I would like to comment a little bit on N82. The keypad should be improved because it is not comfortable at all, they should make it like other Nokia phones then it will be easier to dial and write the message. For my N95 (8GB) I have no complain so far, it is very nice. I always use it to access to internet and messenger.

I don't know whether any Nokia users realize of it or not. Actually Nokia phones are durable enough to withstand a minor fall such as a fall to concrete. I fall my N82 from a table twice before, but it still survived :D When the phone falls to the concrete, the cover didn't fall out and the phone did not reset also :D My father's N81 survives 5 feets fall to concrete. I remembered that time he put his phone on the kitchen cabinet, and the phone rang and vibrated, eventually the phone fell to concrete. But, still survive :eek: This is one of the thing I like about Nokia. My first nokia phone was 8250 which was bought by my dad when I were 13 years old. I always fell my 8250 also :( But, it never DIED :D I like Nokia's "NEVER DIED" spirit. :p

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

8. ants

ants Regular Member

I'm a user of Nokia since 15yrs ago. Never use Erikson then. But used the old Motorola "Brick" as well as the Briefcase Phone! Started buying small phone with the chameleon Nokia 6110. It was a hit then. Been using it for a while... then cant remember what phone i used. Later Nokia Communicator came out... tempted.. and resisted until 9300i came out... that it. I bought one.Then a year or 2 back bought a prepaid with M1 which give me a cheap Free LG phone. Thanks to Hauge for the idea during Singapore Open.
    Now im using a E71,Nokia 6550 as well as the LG phone.
    So i think its time for me to switch to a Smarter Phone in Iphone 3Gs which is made not for the smarter guy. hahah.. I guess this Iphone will be very helpful for me.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    for the price of iphone, i rather opt for N97.
    iphone;
    1. cant even send photos through bluetooth
    2. video call? 3g phone? at that price without face to face video call, just throw it into rubbish bin
    3. speed? err... 3GS is getting there

handphone, the most important thing is make call and receive calls. missed call? return call...... i can see many using handphone, but it is hard for them to pick up calls. not even call back if there is a missed call. the moment i see them, what is the usage of handphone with multi features at USD1000? cant even pick up calls......

10. ants

ants Regular Member

I do agree that Phone is just to make calls, sms, receive calls and probably send/exchange some photos and videos.

You reminded me of sending photos on Iphone thru BLuetooth.. that sucks! Hmmm should i wait? But i heard there is a 3rd Party application that enable the phone to send pics and videos thru Iphone 3gs.

Well i dont make video call. Iphone is just more of a Fun gadget that i can use with my Mac. Heheh...

At least i can get a cheaper price for it in Malaysia thru Maxis Mgmt. Too bad not available yet.

#10 ants, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Over the years, I've made my way from a Motorola flip-brick through a HP iPAQ, a Nokia Communicator, an Apple iPhone and a HTC Touch to a very basic phone - a Sony Ericsson piece that cost me 50 dollars in Indonesia.

At the end of the day, what you need is a portable phone.

Ask yourself:
    What do you regularly do with a mobile phone?

- You make and receive calls
    - You store names and numbers
    - You set reminders and alarms
    - You send and receive text messages

Aside from these, what else do you regularly use it for?
    For most people, the answer is probably 'nothing much'.

Although the resolving power of mobile phone cameras (still images and full-motion video) has gone up, it is still largely a cosmetic add-on.

It's the same with many other extended features - touch screen, music player, video player, voice recorder, FM radio, scientific calculator, WAP, GPRS, compass, GPS, video call, WiFi, depth gauge, thermometer, barometer, etc etc etc etc (even a flashlight and projector :eek:).

Get a decent camera if you want to take decent pictures.
    Get a decent music player if you want to watch or listen to music.
    Get a netbook or a notebook if you want to go online in a 'normal' size.

A big problem with having multiple features is that when one feature dies, the whole phone either dies, crashes or needs a firmware reinstallation (and that means more mobile internet access charges).

Unless you are one of those who is always on the move, avoid smartphones.
    They are fragile, they are expensive, the add-on services are more expensive and they become outdated even before you have mastered all the features.

Stick with something that looks decent, is solidly built, is at least bi-band, has a fairly large screen, and won't make your heart burn when you lose it or damage it.

After all, you need to just talk or text.
    That doesn't need to cost you a fortune.

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    dear Oldhand,
    i havent see any with projector. flashlight is good for going into cinema. :D i do love those basic h/p. battery life is good. i make and receive a lot of calls per day, that is the benefit. sometimes i do need to snap photos and send. thus, average good built-in camera comes in handy. wi-fi? i can sneak peak BC when i need to wait outside while shopping. :p
    nevertheless, i still go for simple handset. battery life......!

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    me myself have 2 hp with 2 different network:digi and maxis(2 of the top 3 in malaysia)
    and my hp is still black and white;)
    why?i poor mah:(
    i stick with nokia because i can sms faster with nokia keypad
    i use hp for sms,call,alarm,timer and reminder,thats all.hmm,oh!i use hp to calculate too:)
    i prefer to snap with camera and listen songs with mp3:)

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Darn. I used the wrong keywords again (ie, mobile phone and cellphone [one word]). :eek:

Thanks for not lecturing me about the search function. If you were HorizonNL, you would have beaten me up. ;)

However, I must ask you this. Whose thread has got the best intro? :D

15. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Good point. I'll take that into consideration.
    But there are other functions I often use

- calculator (I suck at arithmetic; I always count my fingers to add and multiply :eek:)
    - radio (listening while working)
    - mp3 player (listening while working)
    - video recorder/player (to record baddy games and watch baddy games anywhere)
    - cam (to capture moments)
    - wifi (to go online on BC away from home)
    - games (when bored in the office)

So, does the 2 cellphones I picked above fit?

16. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    You guys are rich and sound really techy. Now, going back to my question. Do you guys have any idea which unit is better? Samsung S8000 Jet or LG KM900 Arena?

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Who is you guys? Definitely not me.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Who??..

..i think the ones who own multiple HP/cellphone or one of those smartphones set, esp. if not used for business purpose..(maybe given by parents)..;)

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Hehe.. i really wanted to be given mobile Phone by my parents. Surprising thing is that my mom dont use a mobile. Only now she is asking for one. hahah.. probably i will give her my low tech RM150 LG phone for her to make calls and send sms. Gosh.. i even have to teach her how to do that. Hmmm after that.. hmmm maybe i can convince her to get me a Iphone for teaching her how to use a Mobile and giving away my LG phone to her. Hehehhe. Fair trade huh? :p

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^It's fair..^^

..but once you get your Iphone, what are you gonna do with your other HPs/cellphones/mobile phones??..are you gonna donate them also?? or sell 'em on eBay??..:confused: