Considering Moving to Vancouver - Badminton Issue

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by PhoenixMateria, Jul 21, 2009.

1. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

Hi guys,

As the title says, I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver in a few months. Big move, but I'm always up for some of that spice poets always seem to report tasting in life. For reasons also bordering insanity, badminton is a factor.

Sure, I can search all the sites, get numbers and times, etc, but I much prefer to rely on firsthand accounts.

So basically, from what I've heard I'm not at all worried about the level of play, especially coming from- oh let's not get into that. The main issue is obviously availability. The closest I've lived to a big city is the suburbs of Austin, TX (there are AMAZING players at the local REC centre down there), and a lot of the sites I've been on hint about reserving every session insanely in advance. Big difference from not even having any chance to play during the summer. :crying:

So the question is, and I'm most likely looking to locate in Coquitlam, are there places that are either free or with some sort of long-term membership where you can actually drop in and get a court most of the time (if you perhaps have a place I could play drop-in singles I will LOVE you), and preferably with good courts.

Sure, I can hear you now. "Would you like fries with that, your Highness?" Well I have a philosophy of asking for the whole pie and work down from there... Grudgingly. :D

So I'm asking anyone who lives in that area, what are the best places in terms of availability, quality, price and overall friendliness?

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Coquitlam is a bit of a distance away from Vancouver but yeah there is places you can play at in the Richmond, or Vancouver area.

In Richmond, we have, ClearOne/ClearTwo, RichmondPro, and Yumo and in Vancouver, Vancouver Racket Club (VRC).

#2 Matt, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  3. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

Thanks, Matt.

Still, enumerating places won't help me much... Are they friendly/available/cheap/good courts?

I could search Google for names. I'm really looking for people's experiences of those places. :confused:

4. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    this is probably useless infor for you but here goes

For Richmond: clear-one clear-two yumo richmondpro
    Drop-ins are 3-5 bucks the last time i checked (morning < night)
    Rental range from 14-18bucks an hour
    Coaching varies by location
    ***keep in mind, theyre all badminton specific, green badminton mats, green walls***

Vancouver
    VRC membership is about 800$ *i think*. it annual, 24/7 club with shower faucility along with squash and tennis courts. students are cheaper according to a friend roughly half the price.

North Vancouver
    Holly Burn - higher end version of VRC style.

Every city will have community centers which will offer badminton all year round so there is no fear of being badminton deprived if you dont want to travel out of coquitlam. friendliness depends on your tolerance of people, where there are sports there are room for arrogance.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Could you be more specific? I assume you mean the players there in this case unless you mean otherwise.

I would all of them are pretty well. I personally play at RPro and C1/C2 mainly since it's close to my home friends play there. Lot of the highschool/college students play there so the level of play is good at times we're there.

6. markusn

markusn Regular Member

Government
    I a new on this board and just getting back into badminton after 20+ years. Dug up my old Carbonex 20 which was just moved from house to house. Anyways, I live in Coquitlam, British Columbia. I've been working out in the gym at the Port Moody Rec Centre (next city over) and have dropped into open gym with the kids. Not too busy.
    There are badminton nights for adults. Drop in range from $2 to $4 approx. Any one have advice on dropping in as a single. I hate the feeling of going by myself if everyone is paired up.