Li Ning brand opening flagship store in Singapore

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Linus, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I am not sure how many caught this news. But I was pleasently surprised the store opening was on yesterday prime time news in Singapore. In the news you can see some customers looking at the badminton rackets, and also a stream of young models wearing the Lin Ning sports wear and carrying the badminton rackets etc.

3 things caught my attention:

1. Given Li Ning brand is a "Chinese" brand and not an international brand and it is a relatively new sports product, surprised that it's first store in Singapore/South East Asia was given such fan fare by the media.

2. It's selection of opening its store at Ion Orchard which is a new icon shopping mall in Orchard Road. It must have paid astronomical rental for a sport store. Mind you others present in Ion are luxury brands, not the ordinary households brands. This shows Li Ning products are pricing itself in the upper market level.

3. It mention Li Ning product will sponsor the Singapore Open (which until now is still under sponsorship contract with Aviva). Thtis indicates Li Ning is aggressive in its marketing effort - after securing sponsorhip to the Chinese team.

So kudos to Lin Ning in trying real hard in penatrating Yones strongholds in the badminton market and in the sports market in general. Let's see how well it success in the coming years.

2. blacvios

blacvios Regular Member

I think it is tough just to concentrate on one segment of the market ie the high end market. Considering that they just entered the sport. An analogy is to look at Pioneer plasma TVs, there are at the forefront and class leading in plasma technology, so are their prices, ended up closing down. But the company is big and has other products that cater to other sports. Heard from a china colleague that the brand prices its items close to nike and adidas in china.

3. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Just to verify on one point - While Li Ning is new on badminton product, the brand name itself, unfortunately is NOT "chinese" local brand in China ONLY. It is HUGE. How big? Jelena Jankovic in WTA tennis pro, China Table Tennis team, China Badminton Team, Brazil women Volleyball team, NBA, Football, etc, it has presence in US, EU, and Latin america long before it hit South East Asia. So, it is not pure hype and new comers for Li Ning.
    Li Ning brand not just sell badminton products. It has some pretty nice sports product, particularly if you are a tennis fans, their ATP range products are quite good and nice. In general, it is just another sporting goods brand, like Nike and Adidas, globally, not just in China.

PS: When i first arrive China, i have a naive mistake thinking it is a Nike local fake clone. :D (due to its logo). The more i researched on it, the more i found out on this brand. Most South East Asia nation never see /hear about Li Ning coz it is never there.

4. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    Just to add to what you say ..... your are so correct ...

While i was in France and england i get to know ppl that plays a lot of basketball and i notice that their shoes and jersey are Li Ning ....
    Initially i was wondering whaaaaooo a new brand as i am not a basketball guy and seems like a lot of people have their product in europe ......
    At least they are someone really SERIOUS about their product even if they fall you can at least see the effort in it .....