Ultimate Racket...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by twobeer, Jul 22, 2009.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    After reading about Dinkalots succesful endevor in designing "unbreakable" rackets, and working with OEM to produce his own models.. I started thinking.. If i could "custom order" a model.. What would it be...

What do other BC members think would be the "ultimate" design?

I am thinking no-limits budget wise here :cool: ..

My dream racket (I think) :) :

Frame: semi Isometric, 96hole, triple tapered (wide top slim mid wider bottom), inside-wave, grommet-less, aero-frame.
    Lenght: 679mm
    weight: ca 88g.
    balance: 270mm
    t-joint: yy like t-joint or 3d braid or similar to "work around" patent issues.
    shaft: slim, tapered
    handle: regular length
    Material frame: Toray M56J + cnt resin at strategic points, Elastic Ti at 3&9 o clock.
    Material shaft: meidai tetra-axial woven M56J, 1000T, M30G & M40 (4-axis woven) + CNT resin..

Model-T ....

/Twobeer

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    WOW, that's a darn headlight racquet!

As for myself, I dont' even know what I like in a racquet. I'm not sure what would be perfect for me....

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yea.. I agree maybe 280 or 290mm would be better 270 may be to light :)

/T

#3 twobeer, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Color & Name

I would like it to be black (frankly I am getting tired of red, gold/silver that all makers seem to love :) ).

all black apart from the name in grey (with a little blue tint)..

Name?!?!

"Tsar bomba" ( see http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba )

or just "B-52" :)

/Twobeer

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

when did everyvbody here suddenly become a graphite expert?:p

Mine would be:
    675mm long, 89grams, balance at 300mm,
    isometric aero-frame, tapered shaft,
    medium stiff (8,5-9,0)

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will second Dr J on the length. 675mm is just about perfect and leave you some margin to keep it legal.

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Whats wrong with 679 :) plenty of margin :D :D

/T

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, I hardly care about the legal matter... Have you ever seen an umpire measure a players racket?
    Me, I just don't like the 'sluggish' feel of it... It feels somewhat different than "just more headheavy" I can't really put my finger on it.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    This was exatly the same argument some players had when moving from 665mm to 675mm... It is really just a matter of bp, habit and gripping imop.. Longer is ALWAYS better.. Thats Whu I loved that SOTX actually did 680mm rackets!!! pushing the legal limits :)

/Twobeer

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yes, I will ask the ref to check on the racquet every time just to piss the other guy off. Beside, the ruler might be off just that little bit...

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If you are going to be a moron and aks the ref to check length (or stringbed-size, width, lenght of string-area etc), just to piss people off :rolleyes:, you can of course do this even if the other guy has a 650mm racket...

Also,I can easilly take an arc-10 racket and string the cross strings tight enough and make the head distort and bring it above 680mm (= illegal)... as well... :cool:

/Twobeer

#11 twobeer, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, if you must know, I kinda like 670mm as well, played with one for almost a year...
    lenght is just another way of making your racket get more swingweight (is that a proper sentence? get more, have more...whatever)
    And, for some reason, I don't know why.. but a 680mm racket that swings just as heavy as a 675mm one (Like a 88gram, 295m, 680 racket vs a 90gram, 300mm, 675mm one) I generally like the feel of the latter better...

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, actually when testing different racket many player often "feels" the "normal" 665 lenght racket are much more user friendly.. But really.. how hard is it to move your hand 5mm or 10mm up the racket and "adust" the swingweight :confused: ..

It is not "only" the swingweight btw.. just as with length of golf clubs etc. longer racket means higher speed at the "top" and a few mm extra "reach" :)

665m rackets and shorter are becoming less and less frequently used.. 675mm is more or less standard today.. If I would construct the "best of the best" racket i would go for pushing all legal limit to optimize but still of course not make it illegal :cool:

cheers,
    T

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm not following you...

First you say 680 is the best, but if you can't get used to it, just grip your racket 5mm higher? then why get a 680 at all? (not to mention, I'm not sure about all of you, but I definatly don't grip at a set point but very my grip, a lot.... mkaing this rather diificult to do;))

After that you state longer rackets have a higher speed at the top (which is true, it's just the basics of a longer radius with the same angular velocity) But you forget that the extra length also gives it a higher moment of inertia, making it harder to accelerate.

So basically, making a racket longer is just another 'gimmick' to make a racket more powerfull. you can make a racket heavier, or headheavier, or longer to give it more swingweight and try and get more power. But, for those of us who like more allrounded rackets, it's not an absolute must

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    At the level you play, you change grip lots of times for different strokes.. if you want to stretch when diving for a shuttle, if you are attacking in net play at the front in doubles or if you have good time to play an all out power-smsah.. You are likely to change grips :p ..

I don't think changing grip is a problem (apart from habits of course..)

I do not follow your logic then.. if your "variance" in grip is more than 5mm, I am sure it is other timing issues than just length :)

?!? So you say thet +10mm are just a gimmick from Yonex then?!?

Are you of the view that all variances in shaft & racket lenght are just gimmicks..

Well, I beg to humbly differ :)

cheers,
    Twobeer

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    #16 Pete LSD, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

All this talk about perfect rackets and specs....especially on Dink's racket page where folks are ordering the same racket with millimeters and micrograms of difference.

What if a racket was made where the balance point wouldn't have to be factory ordered or adjusted after purchase with lead tape or shaving the handle? What if there was a weighted screw in the handle where the butt cap is? You could just dial up and down your balance point until you were happy.

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Not a bad idea :)

take a look at: http://www.mygolfspy.com/nike-adjustable-loft-lie-driver-200/
    or http://www.golfdiscount.com/products/taylormade-r9-tp-driver

golf manufactureres already do these "customizable" clubs etc..

I think it would be hard to implement this in a good way in a badminton frame though in a good way as it needs to be thin and have correct properties for the strings :) But the idea is appealing :)

/T

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer