back of knee?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by gamepurpose, Jul 23, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Well I don't know if anyone get this problem, but I have a pain, well not really painful. But it does hurt when it gets worse, especially if i really play hard (jump smash, move quick and all that fast motion)
    So anyway, I think i got this injury because back then when I used to play computer games or using computer and I like to fold my leg back, and you know how when you fold it too long and it just hurt?
    Well if you don't, that's the problem for me, I get that.
    So yea, anyway help if you know what really happen to me. I don't have insurance, and don't really have money to go see doctor =(.
    But yea my pain is actually from behind of the knee (left) it's not like the bone is hurting, it's like the joint thing.

2. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Man, I don't want to alarm u but read below the threads on knee injuries etc. That symptom is typical or your joint being put to test. :crying::crying::crying:. If U r above 40 I suggest u cut on the jump smash for starters, moderate yr play for a while. Use ointments etc. Mine is serious as U will undoubtedly read next.

3. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I don't know if it's an Unfortunate or fortunate thing that i'm only 25. And so this is consider as joint?
    i was just guessing it's my joint because it feel weird at the joint i suppose.
    Infront of my knees doesn't hurt (front of knees mean infront) So yea if anyone knows watz exact problem i have, and how to HEAL it please reply
    thank you

4. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Aye: I don't want to alarm u but please chk on the internet about 'Knee Miniscus Damage'. This usually caused the back of knee 'pseudo pain'. I KNOW exactly what u mean.

5. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    "But yea my pain is actually from behind of the knee (left) it's not like the bone is hurting, it's like the joint thing."

1) Do you hear any sound when you bend your knee back and forth: clicking ....

2) Do you wear knee brace or any protection when you play?

3) It only hurts when you bend your knee above 100 degree? do it hurt when you bend your knee from 90 degree and straighten your knee ?

4) Is your pain feel deep inside of your knee? Is it painful in normal position or when you bend it?

I torn my ACL, miniscus & lateral ligament: ACL was never repair, I wore knee protection---several layers to create a pseudo ligament like an ACL. I know this restrict my movement beyond 90 degree , but i do go beyond 110 degree sometimes. I get the deep pain behind my knee if i bend it over 95 degree and beyond. What i do before and after badminton is put some ice pad--very cold in back of my knee for 5min, then bend it as much as possible to loosing me legs up, i do this for several time. It ease the pain and stiffness. but first you need to check if you torn an ACL or stretch your inside knee ligaments, google how to test for ACL torn--easy to do: Have a friend to do it for you. Then, if that seem to be normal compare with your good knee, You really want to make sure you don't have miniscus damage---Only ways to find out is by X-ray or MRI: but you have no MONEY---check for free Hospital USC or UCLA harbor medical-apply for low income:get free treatment. Another things, Drink lots of water, this will help increase joint lube to prevent further damage or take glucosamine for joint. Good luck

6. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    wow thank you for the information. the last one prettie cool, if it's really true. H20 gives more joint lube. Cuz I drink alot of that.
    Well It doesn't seem like I have that problem.
    I do wear knee brace now, and I only get's hurt whenever my knee bend around yea I think so 90 degree, i'm talking about the angle from the back of my leg (at the knee) But only for a long period of time, like driving. If i drive a car or sit on a chair and bend my knee for 10 - 15 min the pain comes. But it is not super painful, it just kind make my knee weak enough to support my running and jumping.
    And even without bending for long period of time, sometime do jump smash and landed it starts the pain too.
    One of my friend suggest me to get some joint juice and give it a try to see if it's help. I think i'm lag in joint juice anyway.

7. youngman

youngman Regular Member

Product Manager (Core Networks)

See a doctor. Take care of your knees.

8. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Gamepurpose,
    I have been dealing with the same problem for the past few weeks. Original injury was a jump with an off-balance landing. Yes, it does get sore when I play however, since I have been living in China, my approach to healing has changed alot...hence...my therapy is traditional Chinese medicine and alot of massage to the whole knee area. Today my knee feels great after a couple hours of play but I know it is weak so I am careful now.

Like Youngman has said...take care of your knees!

9. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    do you happen to remember how did they took care of your knee in china detail? =)
    if you can tell me how, i'll try to do it to myself =).
    and like i said I have no money got laid off no insurance. I knew I should have went to doctor when I was working back then. But you know some people have this mentality that only when they can't move or sick like a do.. then go see a doctor.

10. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Give this a try....

It will be somewhat difficult to explain but I'll do my best..

it was easy for me because my wife is Chinese and skilled in TCM/massage therapy but I think you'll do just fine. Basically there are two meds (over-the-counter here in China) that you should take religiously:

1. XINHUAN PIAN (sorry I don't have an English translation for you)

Make sure you drink a lot of water and avoid alcohol. Take 4 tabs three times each day. This med will make you a bit tired but works wonders.

2. Guitan Pian / English= Ossotide Tablet. Take two tabs three times each day with meals.

Massage the entire area of your knee - all around the kneecap, all tissue that is adjacent to the knee including the mysterious point of ache in the back of your knee, at the very top of the lower leg. It is difficult for me to explain this but you will know it when you find it. lt'll be sore and this is what you want to dig for. Massage no less than 30 minutes daily. I will also randomly locate the "hot spot" during the day when I am sitting at my desk or at a table in the restaurant.

It is important to keep your knee warm and, if you can, use a heat lamp following the massage. The whole idea is to smulate blood circulation to facilitate healing.

During the days I would wear a simple knee wrap just to give support. When home I'd take it off to allow for better circulation. My wife will try to get you some specific points to massage from her charts and books. She just gave me a list of four major areas of massage necessary in the lower and upper leg but it is all in Chinese. We will try to get you a sketch or copy. If you cannot find the meds I will see if we can mail them to you.

I know this seems rather simplistic but I have had trouble with my knees for years, especially the one in question. It is now solid as a rock! Wish my memory was so good!

If it works for you we'll for you we'll tell the world. I dread not being able to play badminton due to bad knees...this worked very well for me over a period of about one month...not a bad investment and you don't need insurance or a doctor.

11. RacketMike

RacketMike Regular Member

I am recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery - meniscus tear and some scoping for arthritis. It's been 1 month since surgery and 10 weeks since really playing badminton. I did some drives and drops today for the first time but really just took it real easy. All, please do all variations of leg raises, exercise bike etc to stenghten the calf, thigh and hamsting which are the muscles around the knee. This will eventually strenghen the knee.

12. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

I have a feeling that you are either wearing out the cartilage layer on your knee joints faster than usual, or are wearing shoes that do not provide for proper cushioning. I had this problem too when I was doing running and it was solved after I purchased running shoes that offer cushioning for flat feet.

Do you have flat feet?

13. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

Despite what I have mentioned so far, medical advice remains your best chance of resolving your problem.

14. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree that medical advice remains the best thing to do. But together with what u read above should help u a lot in RELIEVING your pain, not curing it as such.:eek:

And Yes I wear a brace and it is efficient and take Glucosamine/Chondroitin tablets and 'Shark Cartilage' tablets. But I also have recourse to pain killers and things like Diclofenac at times.

My Dr also gave me the exercises mentionned by RacketMike to strenghten the knee area. So far it is manageable but the treatment might b long term requiring a break in the playing schedule;:crying::crying::crying:which the Dr of course said the 1st thing "STOP playing" :rolleyes: I wish u good luck with all that and hope u find relief soon.

15. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Yes, it is always good to seek professional medical advice. If you can....and if you will.

Having been a "westerner" all of my life except for the past two years in China, I have ascribed to western medicine exclusively. I am also familiar with Glucosamine which, along with a long bout of physical therapy helped my brother heal from a traumatic fall from a tree. It did nothing for my knee though. My knee is a bit arthuitic and just plain tired. A candidate for surgery and, as the doctors tell me...eventual replacement.

It is also true that, during the past two years, I have been influenced by the wonder of ancient traditional Chinese medicine. Much to my surprise....it works! My daughter is a Registered Nurse in the USA and my wife is a holistic TCM practicioner here in China. Now the best of both worlds for me....health wise. TCM is restorative and very inexpensive.

Exercise is mandatory as Kiloo has said. Best thing is to avoid being a statistic here on this thread...plan for a healthy body and play hard!

16. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, and I PRINTED your post 10 above for future reference. There is a good Chinese community here and the said TCMs may b available. But when u say massage, with what do u massage, dry? or with some oil? which one? Sorry but we r getting desperate here.

17. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

Kiloo..most massage is dry is most often used...probably 90% of the time anyway. My wife uses some "oils" specific to the problem:

Imada Red Flower oil....(does not smell like flowers) Very good for deep sore joints/muscles. need to use the oil made in HongKong...Chinese product is not as good. It is often used in conjunction with "cupping". Red flower oil works extremely well with rheumatiod conditions...however ,with degenerative conditions as is the case with my knee it helps too but massage is the healer.

cupping is a traditional method of applying globes (cups) onto the skin over ther area of treatment. A vacuum is created in the globe by inserting a small flame into it..and immediately putting it onto the skin. The result is similar to what you experienced as a child when you held a vacuum cleaner hose to you skin....it leaves a round and red-to-dark purple "hickie" (ha!) This was used on my knee and at the bottom of my foot where I stressed a tendon/muscle with great results.

Good if you have contact with Chinese TCM where you live! They can be a great help to you. My wife just handed me a chart showing specific points of massage/acupuncture used for the knee therapy. I will try to scan and post for you later. You will know if you are massaging the correct location if it hurts! Sometimes she made my eyes tear when she was on target...don't be delicate here...dig in...no pain - no gain.

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  19. macatawa

macatawa Regular Member

huh?

:eek:

Hello Oldhand...looks like you have been around her a long time. i mean no disrespect to anyone. I believe that the link you provided leads to nothing but disrespect for TCM :(

I had to laugh as, not too long ago I would have done the same thing... I will not debate either...it is not my place to convince anyone of anything...

Just want to share with others things that have helped me with my knees. I have come to deeply respect the ancient traditions of the Chinese culture and don't claim to have anything but a shallow undestanding of TCM....but have benefited greatly from it...don't understand it...but, for me, the proof is in the pudding. I played three hard hours today on a what was a chronicly lame knee for many years..

For the benefit of all here, please let me know if my sharing is inappropriate and I will immediately stop.

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, I didn't write that mind-boggling theory. If you feel it's disrespectful, you should tell it to the World Foundation for Traditional Chinese Medicine. They wrote it.

I believe they are serious - it is not a joke.
    Here is their page on the knee-kidney connection:
    http://www.tcmworld.org/heal_with_tcm/knee_injury/

I copied that link from one of Loh's posts.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1212608&postcount=13

This foundation is based in New York.
    Here's their contact info: http://www.tcmworld.org/contact_us/