hanstring injury

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by cmd17uc, Oct 10, 2002.

1. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    I finally get to college and find out when the badminton club plays, and the second game of the night i slip and pull my hamstring. It has been getting a little better on its own, but i was wondering if a brace of some type would help. Also, anything that would help it heal faster in general would be very nice.
    thank you

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry to hear that.

Personally, I think the best way to heal is "take a rest" - u don't want to get the condition to be even worse, especially, u just got the injury. Once u feel fine, (depend on different person, as well as how serious ur injury is - maybe days upto weeks), I think a brace can help a little bit in the future.

Good luck.

3. Kc_uk

Kc_uk Regular Member

Student
    Sorry to hear about your injury.

Things could have been worse, just like for one individual at our university. It was the first club night for us and some poor fellow fell over on court breaking his ankle.

Needless to say he was in a great deal of pain and was soon in shock. Paramedics took their time in arriving, which didn't help.

Time will only heal his injury and that goes the same for you too. It maybe a good idea to see a physiotherapist too, they do good work on sports injuries. They can aid the healing process and maybe get you back in badminton. But don't over do it, you don't want more injuries.

;)

4. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    thanks for the info. I was wondering if there were any braces out there that would help? Hard to say becuase the damaged muscle is the hamstring, not the knee. Oh well, any more help would be great.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    The only thing I can think of is a brace for the hip and the hamstring together. Kinda looks like biker shorts but longer and more support. Quite expensive, the one I saw was $70 USD. Best to do is just to rest, depending on the serverity of the injury, consult a physical therapist if you can. These things vary as to how long it will take to heal but unless you tore something, you should be able to get back fairly soon. Best of luck recovering and take care.

6. Kc_uk

Kc_uk Regular Member

Student
    In my experience you should only really use braces or strapping after the injury has heal, inorder to prevent a repeat injury. So the best thing for now is to just rest.

Go see a physio, after you have rested, then use some form of strapping, but take it easy until either your doctor or physio gives you the all clear.

7. light

light New Member

Last Thurday I injured my ankle while trying to jump smash in badminton. The sprain was so painful I thought I needed to see a doctor because my ankle swelled to the size of a baseball and I could not walk on that foot. Amazingly, my ankle's swelling has already decreased 2/3 after less than two days by icing and massaging the "Muscle and Jount oil" on it. On Sunday I even played baskeball and badmintan (though I didn't run a lot)!

This oil is really a treasure! This is website adress: http//www.edelweissbotanicals.com/index.htm

Good Luck!

8. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Sorry to hear about that.

At this point, besides rest, try heat (especially moist heat) and massage (a jacuzzi would be great!).

UCR has several sports programs. Maybe you can get specific advice from one of the trainers--that's a fairly common athletic injury.

9. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    hey light, I'd advise you not to go right back into sports right away since the chance of re-injury is really great and if you happen to re-injure it, it is going to be a lot more severe and would keep you out a lot longer. Just try to take it easy for a week or so and do some walking and light jog if you feel better.