User Tag List

Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Zymax strings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will always be differences of opinion. Personally, after really playing with 67 and 62, I find 67 performs better in terms of control, without any real decrease in repulsion, and I'm going to start testing ZM70 extensively this January.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by singnflip4life View Post
    There will always be differences of opinion. Personally, after really playing with 67 and 62, I find 67 performs better in terms of control, without any real decrease in repulsion, and I'm going to start testing ZM70 extensively this January.
    Dorysan: you see? Everyone is different with different opinions.

For this Panda, ZM62 absolutely plays better, has much more repulsion and has better control than ZM67. But the main key is, ZM62 is more much crisp and stiffer than ZM67.

But who knows, maybe SNFlip got some "good" ZM67 and Panda's was not as good. It's all relative.

Moral of the story: If you are happy and satisified with what you have, don't worry about what others think or say.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you could, but at that point, you just buy a reel. 90 usd for a 200 meter reel, 22 rackets per reel, that's $4.09 per "pack"
    200m will not give you 22 pcs of 10m string, only 20 pcs. For true 10m length string, if the qty is say 200, US$4 for each string is rather expensive, even with shipping cost thrown in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    Dorysan: you see? Everyone is different with different opinions.

For this Panda, ZM62 absolutely plays better, has much more repulsion and has better control than ZM67. But the main key is, ZM62 is more much crisp and stiffer than ZM67.

But who knows, maybe SNFlip got some "good" ZM67 and Panda's was not as good. It's all relative.

Moral of the story: If you are happy and satisified with what you have, don't worry about what others think or say.

let me post my opinion after playing with 70 and 62... (first i need to find someone who sells them cheap)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    200m will not give you 22 pcs of 10m string, only 20 pcs. For true 10m length string, if the qty is say 200, US$4 for each string is rather expensive, even with shipping cost thrown in.
    In the U.S., the MAP (minimum advertised price) is $90/reel and $5/pack. If you are an authorized U.S. Ashaway Dealer, you cannot go below that. If you do and get reported, bye-bye account.

Since you are not in the U.S. you're pricing maybe less.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    In the U.S., the MAP (minimum advertised price) is $90/reel and $5/pack. If you are an authorized U.S. Ashaway Dealer, you cannot go below that. If you do and get reported, bye-bye account.

Since you are not in the U.S. you're pricing maybe less.
    I thought the US is a champion in a free market and may not allow Ashaway to tie their dealers' hand. Anything that puts up a market price by threats from the principal may be courting potential antitrust problems. Even Yonex was fined by the Japanese government for a similar case.
    In Asia, we learn to be lean as only the fittest survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US does not have a true "free market." While businesses are able to post higher prices with no problem (increased profit), they are severely discouraged from posting lower prices (reduced profit but increased business) that would take away too many customers from other businesses. Which is why WalMart has gotten such a bad rep in the past few years, whenever a WalMart pops up, all the nearby small businesses die out because they cannot afford to offer the same low prices as the huge corporate conglomerate. So we have a free market tempered by an "equality and equal chance for all businesses" policy.

Now back to topic.

Interestingly enough, the ZM67 I tried out happened to be the platinum version, because a friend had accidentally ordered 4 packs of it instead of the white, so he was looking to offload it. It also may have to do with the fact I only play at 23 pounds, instead of the high 20s Sir Panda likes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly enough, the ZM67 I tried out happened to be the platinum version, because a friend had accidentally ordered 4 packs of it instead of the white, so he was looking to offload it. It also may have to do with the fact I only play at 23 pounds, instead of the high 20s Sir Panda likes.
    The string in platinum is just fine. It's not a big deal. But this Panda has noticed differences in playability.

High 20s? Panda like ZM70 at 31lbs. and would use ZM62 at 29lbs., ideally (which plays like BG64 at 32lbs.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enforcing retailing pricing is a technically an illegal behavior. In the case of Ashaway/Yonex, they may do it to prevent severe discounting, but it doesn't mean it's legal.

Also, strictly speaking increased prices means higher profit margins, but not necessarily increased profits.

Walmart is also not a conglomerate, it's dealing with one specific business, trying to expand into selling groceries, etc, but does not have enough scope to be compared to conglomerates made up of many distinctive business units, such as General Electric.

As for Walmart killing off small businesses, this is because of their huge buyer power and cost cutting measures such not having any "inventory" on their balance sheet. Besides, driving out the competition is a free market behavior, as long as you're not selling below cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry Sir Dink, I though you used MP at 31, which would go to 29 with ZM. My mistake sir. There probably is also a difference with the silver platinum version, and either I like the difference, or I'm simply not good enough to tell.

Sorry for the misinformation about Walmart and free markets. I was never good at business or Econ, which is why I majored in microbiology/biochemistry.

Also, is it true that most international players use BG65 because it's one of the few strings that can hold the mid thirties tension they play with, and it won't snap at the first mishit?

Then wouldn't ZM70 or ZM67 or even ZM62 become a better choice at this point? Same diameter, same durability, better characteristics?
    Last edited by singnflip4life; 12-15-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry Sir Dink, I though you used MP at 31, which would go to 29 with ZM.
    I do use MP at 28-31lbs. The reason I don't go higher is because of durability. Actually, MP is very comparable to ZM70 at 27lbs. or higher but ZM70 is more durable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see. So besides the durability factor, you'd actually prefer to play with MP at 31-34? You must really really have quite the arm, especially taking into account your constant call to use the lowest possible tension, which i also have to say really really improved my game, dropping from 26 to 23.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see. So besides the durability factor, you'd actually prefer to play with MP at 31-34? You must really really have quite the arm, especially taking into account your constant call to use the lowest possible tension, which i also have to say really really improved my game, dropping from 26 to 23.
    No on the MP comment. MP is one of my Top 5 performing strings but not the best.

The best performing string Panda has tried to date is Ashaway ZM62 White for all tensions ranging from 18 - 30lbs.

In a perfect world, Panda would use ZM62 at 29-30lbs. (Equivalent to BG65 at 33-35bs.) However, the max recommended string tension by Ashaway is 28lbs. Even at 28lbs. ZM62 still feels like BG65 at 31+lbs. but it's far more repulsive, crisp and responsive. The only drawback is the durability, relatively speaking.

The best performing* strings Panda has tried with approximate equivalent tension comparisons (strung, wait 1 week then use; if strung immediately and used, the tension would be much closer for all):

1) ZM62 White @ 30.0lbs.
    Comments: The best performing string in all areas except durability.

2) BG66 White** @ 33.0lbs.
    Comments: first-rate performance except tension holding and durability.

3) MP White @ 33.0lbs.
    Comments: first-rate performance except tension holding and durability.

4) BG80 White @ 31.5lbs.
    Comments: Best durability of the bunch but is not quite as repulsive as its peers.

5) NBG98 Gold @ 33.0bs
    Comments: Super powerful and second best durability of the bunch but a bit slippery unless really worked in.

*Performance based on feel, crispness, repulsion, control, holding tension
    **Have not tried BG66Maxima nor BG66Sharp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition: the string comparison above is for normal to extra stiff rackets.

For ultra stiff and ultra demanding rackets like the Cab 22, Ultra 1, RSL X2 Gold, X2 Pro, Cab 9, and Mizuno TC700, the rating is different, you'll want a softer, more forgiving string. Then the rating would be like this:

1) MP White
    2) BG66 White
    3) NBG98 Gold
    4) ZM62 White
    5) BG80 White

Panda would actually not even use ZM62 or BG80 on ultra stiff/demanding rackets, unless the tension was lower (say 28 or less) otherwise, there's minimal give and you'll have to work too hard to generate consistent power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High 20s? Panda like ZM70 at 31lbs. and would use ZM62 at 29lbs., ideally (which plays like BG64 at 32lbs.). [/quote]

Hi Sir Dink, does this means that the stress on the racket frame will be lesser but yet enjoy the same kind of tightness if we choose zymax 62 over other thicker string?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah Master Panda, every day you teach more and more. Thank you for alleviating me of my ignorance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangxl View Post
    Hi Sir Dink, does this means that the stress on the racket frame will be lesser but yet enjoy the same kind of tightness if we choose zymax 62 over other thicker string?
    Yes, that's the advantage of using ZM62.

Relative string tension comparisons:

ZM62 at 20lbs. = BG65 at 22lbs. (2lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 22lbs. = BG65 at 24lbs. (2lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 24lbs. = BG65 at 26lbs. (2lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 26lbs. = BG65 at 28lbs. (2lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 27lbs. = BG62 at 30lbs. (3lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 28lbs. = BG65 at 31lbs. (3lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 29lbs. = BG65 at 32lbs. (3lbs. difference)
    ZM62 at 30lbs. = BG65 at 34lbs. (4lbs. difference)

ZM62 at about 27.0-27.5lbs starts to get quite tight. At 30lbs. it's losing most of it's elastic properties.

Ashaway's recommendation of 28lbs. max is spot on (actually, Panda suggested that to them ). But 28lbs. on ZM62 is like 31lbs. on BG65 which is good enough for most people unless you are nuts like PeteLSD.

Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 61 111 ... LastLast