User Tag List

Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 86 ... LastLast
Results 596 to 612 of 1983

Thread: Zymax strings

  1. #596
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    If you are referring to MP with orange or blue stripes, agree. MP White however, plays noticeably better, though not as good as ZM62 in White.
    Maybe But frankly I am yet to be convinced that colour makes any difference. The Micropwer I had was denim blue. Re ZM 62 I have the 3 colors, platinum, yellow, and white, but frankly I find absolutely no difference. However, some of my customers prefer ZM62 platinum, some yellow but I tell them it is all in their head. Some do not accept my opinion.

  2. #597
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Maybe But frankly I am yet to be convinced that colour makes any difference. The Micropwer I had was denim blue. Re ZM 62 I have the 3 colors, platinum, yellow, and white, but frankly I find absolutely no difference. However, some of my customers prefer ZM62 platinum, some yellow but I tell them it is all in their head. Some do not accept my opinion.
    Panda has clearly seen a difference in performance from string color to color from different manufacturers. In every instance Panda can think of, white/natural plays the best.

    It's not every string, but a significant amount.

    With respect to MP, MP Blue and Orange play a bit flat, not repulsive, while MP White is very lively, with a completely different texture and feel.

    As for ZM62, here in the US:

    1) White plays the best, has the best feel, texture, grip and control.

    2) Silver is nearly as lively but is a bit slippery, has an oil coating that needs to be broken through

    3) Yellow has good texture like white but isn't as repulsive and plays relatively flat for ZM62.

    That's just what Panda has found playing close to two hundred of sets of ZM62.

    It's not a huge difference (and not a big deal to Panda) but it's noticeable, at least for Panda.

  3. #598
    Regular Member playmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sunny Cali
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The MP that I'm interested in buying are closeouts which came in two different colors; green and purple. I like purple the best. Will it perform better if I increase the tension like say 27lbs?

  4. #599
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    Panda has clearly seen a difference in performance from string color to color from different manufacturers. In every instance Panda can think of, white/natural plays the best.

    It's not every string, but a significant amount.

    With respect to MP, MP Blue and Orange play a bit flat, not repulsive, while MP White is very lively, with a completely different texture and feel.

    As for ZM62, here in the US:

    1) White plays the best, has the best feel, texture, grip and control.

    2) Silver is nearly as lively but is a bit slippery, has an oil coating that needs to be broken through

    3) Yellow has good texture like white but isn't as repulsive and plays relatively flat for ZM62.

    That's just what Panda has found playing close to two hundred of sets of ZM62.

    It's not a huge difference (and not a big deal to Panda) but it's noticeable, at least for Panda.
    As a matter of fact I have observed that some players' personal preferences for the ZM62 tend to be in favor of platinum, then optic yellow, with ivory white last. However I find there is no difference at all. The difference will be from different tensions and different rackets because different rackets have different optimum tension.
    I have observed one thing in common about the strange preference for certain colors of ZM62-they all like very thin strings. Some of their preference favors platinum, then optic yellow and last ivory white. I think this is more psychological and has more to do with some strange rationalization that darker colors appear thinner to the human eye.
    FYI, colors have no role to play in a string's repulsion. The same applies to the outer coating of the string. It is the center core of the string that is the heart of a string's power and repulsion. Colors are cosmetic in function and do not change the molecular structure of a string's core.

  5. #600
    Regular Member Blitzzards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GMT-04:00
    Posts
    1,437
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have just gotten my NS9900 strung with ZM62 at 27lbs (same for both main and cross).

    In terms of repulsion it feels similar to BG66 Maxima strung at 29lbs. The most interesting factor about the ZM62 is that it does not stretch, at all. IMHO this makes it feedback a lot more on tight net shots which is a good thing. However the ZM62 still does not have the oomph on smashes that the BG66 Maxima has even though it was strung at 2lbs lighter. At least in my experience the BG66 Maxima has comparable oomph to BG65 at 31lbs which is my favourite of all.

    The ZM62 has the highest ping of all the strings I have just mentioned, even though it was strung "slightly more loose"

  6. #601
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sir, you have your say and Panda has his.

    The differences are not from different tensions/rackets/other variables as those are minimized to non-existent during testing.

    Also don't forget, SE Asia has more variety of Ashaway string than the U.S. There could be differences there too.

    As for different colors and coatings playing no role, Panda disagrees. Though the core is the heart, the shell still has a significant impact on the string's overall performance. This has been confirmed from experience with the different shells Ashaway has sent Panda to test.

    Anyway, as stated before, string differences are minor compared the grand scheme of things. Differences or perceived differences in string color or repulsion are not going to make or break your game.

    ZM62 regardless of the color is a first-rate performing string.

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    However I find there is no difference at all. The difference will be from different tensions and different rackets because different rackets have different optimum tension.

    FYI, colors have no role to play in a string's repulsion. The same applies to the outer coating of the string. It is the center core of the string that is the heart of a string's power and repulsion. Colors are cosmetic in function and do not change the molecular structure of a string's core.

  7. #602
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For those who have ZM62 strings of different colors, here is what you can do.
    Use a scissor and strip each string of its outer layer or jacket at each end. Try to do this on strings with colors of platinum, ivory white, optic yellow,
    After stripping (stripping is exactly like the way you strip an electric cable end to get to the bare wires) you will find the many micro or multi filaments that collectively form the core or the heart of the string. This is the center of power and strength of a badminton string. The greater the number of filaments the more playable and powerful the string.
    With the 3 colors of the ZM62 the core filaments are all of the same material and same color white, which incidentally is of a different shade of the ivory white color of the jacket of one of the three ZM62 strings.
    The outer coat or layer or jacket can come in different colors and in the case of the ZM62 it comes in 3 colors. The jacket has no power or atrength giving properties. It is there solely to protect the core filaments from abrasion and also to give it some texture for control.
    Generally thinner strings have better surface grip and thus control but not power or strength. The coating or jacket is often broken at all the intersections between the mains and crosses after a period of time and this means a restring job is needed because you have lost control.
    A better way to determine control is to compare strings of the same thickness and at the same tensions. If one string moves more than the other the one that moves more is considered to have more control (less slippery). This is better than to rely on color or any optical perception of color of the string.

  8. #603
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    while the core is doing the heavy lifting, the composition of the outer layer have dampening effect on the string.

    think about the string like the shocks of a car.

    the core is the spring, the outer layer is the shock absorber, what you use for shock absorber has a huge effect on the feel of the whole system in general.

  9. #604
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    while the core is doing the heavy lifting, the composition of the outer layer have dampening effect on the string.

    think about the string like the shocks of a car.

    the core is the spring, the outer layer is the shock absorber, what you use for shock absorber has a huge effect on the feel of the whole system in general.
    The core of a string is more like the power to weight ratio of a car, the higher the more powerful irrespective of absolute power.
    Yes, the texture of the jacket of a string will have an effect on control and feel, but color?
    Actually dampening effect is more dependent on the core composition.
    For example, you can have two strings made of the same material and same thickness and same jacket. The only difference is the core, where one is a mono filament and the other say with 5,000 micro filaments or fibers twisted together. The diffference between the two will be like day and night. The one with more filaments in the core will be more repulsive, more powerful, stronger and yet more resilient. The jacket, which is the same for both strings, makes no difference . Neither will color.
    The jacket is like a protective cover to prevent abrasion of the core fibers and with different textures will give control. It is also used to make strings with different colors which are also important from a marketing side. Some people like matching outfits from head to toe.

  10. #605
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    The dyeing process subjects the nylon string to chemical that change the physical properties of the original string. Heat and acid are required for dyeing nylon. As a result, colored nylon strings don't perform as well or last as long as white or natural color ones.

  11. #606
    Regular Member urameatball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drill-Sergeant Troll-Face
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I see vibrant consistent colour in all strings (even white or natural colour), and that should indicate it's dyed.
    I've never seen the natural colour of string, but I would imagine it's somewhere along the lines of natural coloured cloth, or natural nylon rope, or an untreated burlap potato sack... all of which range dull inconsistent beige to dull inconsistent brown. LOL

    I'd laugh SO HARD if someone said they missed a shot because they used the wrong coloured string... ROFL!!!

  12. #607
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    The dyeing process subjects the nylon string to chemical that change the physical properties of the original string. Heat and acid are required for dyeing nylon. As a result, colored nylon strings don't perform as well or last as long as white or natural color ones.
    If you strip a ZM62 of its jacket the core's multi fibers have not been touched by any color dye.

  13. #608
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    The feel and playability of the colored strings differ even though the core is not subjected to the acid bath but got heated up. Nylon doesn't like heat in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    If you strip a ZM62 of its jacket the core's multi fibers have not been touched by any color dye.

  14. #609
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not only that, but considering both the jacket and core are under tension as well, if the jacket is less durable, it will break easier. When the jacket breaks, it increases the stress on the core which might then snap under the extra strain.

    I can make an argument that jacket affects everything because it works together with the core in every aspect. The jacket and core are not separate entities. So to extend taneepak's argument from before:

    Same jacket, different cores means different string characteristics.

    Wouldn't that also imply that the same core, with different jackets, would also produce different string characteristics.

    But the bottom line is: is there a difference to you? Because for a beginner, he might not be able to tell the difference between BG85 and BG80, but an intermediate player could. And maybe while that intermediate player might not be able to tell the difference between ZyMax 62 Yellow, White, or Silver, he might have a mental component to it which is even more important than any equipment benefit or deficit that might arise. And a pro player might be able to tell the difference between two colors, .1lb difference in tension, or he could just not care.

    So I think the bottom line is, changing any part of the string changes it's playing characteristics. The part that matters is, can you tell the difference?

  15. #610
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by singnflip4life View Post
    Not only that, but considering both the jacket and core are under tension as well, if the jacket is less durable, it will break easier. When the jacket breaks, it increases the stress on the core which might then snap under the extra strain.

    I can make an argument that jacket affects everything because it works together with the core in every aspect. The jacket and core are not separate entities. So to extend taneepak's argument from before:

    Same jacket, different cores means different string characteristics.

    Wouldn't that also imply that the same core, with different jackets, would also produce different string characteristics.

    But the bottom line is: is there a difference to you? Because for a beginner, he might not be able to tell the difference between BG85 and BG80, but an intermediate player could. And maybe while that intermediate player might not be able to tell the difference between ZyMax 62 Yellow, White, or Silver, he might have a mental component to it which is even more important than any equipment benefit or deficit that might arise. And a pro player might be able to tell the difference between two colors, .1lb difference in tension, or he could just not care.

    So I think the bottom line is, changing any part of the string changes it's playing characteristics. The part that matters is, can you tell the difference?
    Lest others misunderstand what I have said, I am not disputing that both the jacket or outer coating and the core have their own effect on string characteristics. What I am saying is that the core is the heart of a string and it is here where a string's strength, power or repulsion and resilience spring from, not the jacket. The jacket's main roles are to protect the cover from abrasion, to enable different colors to be used, and on their own will have various texturing surfaces which will have an impact on control. Yes, the jacket affects control but has absolutely no role in repulsion or resilience or strength.

  16. #611
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    1,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How can you say that?

    Does repulsion not come from how the string reacts to being stretched? If so, then since the jacket is stretched as well, would that not also affect repulsion?

  17. #612
    Regular Member pBmMalaysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kuching, Malaysia, Malaysia
    Posts
    4,718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the so-called jacket affect repulsion at a very minimum.

    whereas the core is the main culprit....
    Last edited by pBmMalaysia; 12-06-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Page 36 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 86 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Ashaway Zymax 65 strings
    By limsandy in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 9
    : 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
  2. WTB: Ashaway Zymax Strings
    By xzavire in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 6
    : 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM
  3. FS/FT: zymax .62mm strings x 6
    By ggman8988 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 07-16-2011, 10:24 PM
  4. FS/FT: Zymax 62 Strings sell or trade
    By ggman8988 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 07-11-2011, 08:32 PM
  5. Zymax Strings @ Tad's?
    By krisyay in forum Market Place
    Replies: 7
    : 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •