User Tag List

Page 43 of 121 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 93 ... LastLast

Thread: Zymax strings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's anyone who doesn't string at ridiculous tension and enjoys durability. I just finished testing ZM70 at 25lb.

Compared to BG65, Zymax70 retains initial tension much better, holding fairly steady for the first 4 weeks or so, whereas BG65 will lose quite a bit of tension within the first week.
    After 4 weeks, It Zymax tension loss starts catching up to BG65, but I'm thinking maybe because of the fraying. String broke with so little tension that it didn't even make the "ping" sound you usually hear when strings snap.

Both BG65 and ZM70 lasted me roughly 8 weeks.
    Both created lots of power and produced a huge "bang" when smashing (initially, before tension loss)
    Considering both strings are priced similarly, I would pick ZM70 as my first choice just cuz it retains tension better.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i have given up on 27lbs. i am so sick of breaking a string on every badminton session. i am back down to 24/25lbs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i have given up on 27lbs. i am so sick of breaking a string on every badminton session. i am back down to 24/25lbs.
    but at higher tensions, the touch and control can be highly addictive (and expensive)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    but at higher tensions, the touch and control can be highly addictive (and expensive)
    Kwun does his own stringing, so it's just the cost of the string which is less then $5.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by what07 View Post
    Kwun does his own stringing, so it's just the cost of the string which is less then $5.
    I know he strings his own rackets, and let's face it, if you play with ZM62 @ 27lbs you have to string your own rackets (or have won the lottery ) if I used ZM62 @ 27lbs, then my stringer would really like me (or rather my wallet )

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

even when i string my own racket, there is a cost of time as well as the cost of the string. with an average longevity of just 2 or 3 sessions. ZM62 at high tension is not worth it. if it last 4 or 5 sessions at 24-25 lbs then it is getting to be worthwhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    I know he strings his own rackets, and let's face it, if you play with ZM62 @ 27lbs you have to string your own rackets (or have won the lottery ) if I used ZM62 @ 27lbs, then my stringer would really like me (or rather my wallet )
    maybe its the weather. at tropical weather here, im using ZM62@27lbs(digital) on 4 of my rackets and so far all seems to be holding well after 3 weeks and i play 20 hours a week.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friendly reminder, cold weather plays a significant role; as well as mishits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even when i string my own racket, there is a cost of time as well as the cost of the string. with an average longevity of just 2 or 3 sessions. ZM62 at high tension is not worth it. if it last 4 or 5 sessions at 24-25 lbs then it is getting to be worthwhile.
    Yeah time is also a major factor, if stringing took 10mins, and the strings were only a few $ then it wouldn't be an issue, but atm that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    Friendly reminder, cold weather plays a significant role; as well as mishits.
    Yeah, even more reason not to try the ZM62, temperatures atm barely rise above 2^C so at my usual tension this won't last 5 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 27lbs my strings only last about 1-2 sessions for ZM62 where as the ZM67 will last me over 6 sessions. I can attribute it to mishit so I don't fault the string, but I'm going to bring it down to 26-25 range and see.

I string my own racquets as well and I have a 200m spool of ZM62 so I have to at least go through it. My wife's Ti-10 at 26lbs has lasted about 4 sessions already, but she doesn't swing as hard as I do and her mishits aren't as stressful to the strings.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kwun, have you thought about trying very thin Teflon tubing (like that used in tennis) to protect the exposed tops of the mains? Z62 is just too good a string for me not to try outlandish measures like this

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    kwun, have you thought about trying very thin Teflon tubing (like that used in tennis) to protect the exposed tops of the mains? Z62 is just too good a string for me not to try outlandish measures like this
    That's what Panda suggested to Kwun. Panda provides extra long top grommets for people that are prone to mishits up top.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    That's what Panda suggested to Kwun. Panda provides extra long top grommets for people that are prone to mishits up top.
    Using long grommets that protrude into the string bed is not a good idea because it reduces the string bed's surface area and hence adversely affecting the string's power and resilience. The mains are longer and need to stay at their possible maximum length for playability. Long grommets at both the top and bottom that are used by the mains should be as short as possible.
    You can actually try this by using a sharp cutter to trim all the grommets' length to be almost level with the frame surface or slightly above it. There will be an improvement in playability.
    For those who like to use thin strings, high tensions, and whose timing is less than ideal and is often the cause of mis-hits, they can either string an extra very thin cross string at the top or stop using rackets that have a larger exposed top part.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Using long grommets that protrude into the string bed is not a good idea because it reduces the string bed's surface area and hence adversely affecting the string's power and resilience.
    While using longer grommets does decrease performance, it's not that significant, not that big of a deal. Especially if one insists on using very thin string and continually breaks it. Using longer grommets is a safe way to test and easily reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    For those who like to use thin strings, high tensions, and whose timing is less than ideal and is often the cause of mis-hits, they can either string an extra very thin cross string at the top or stop using rackets that have a larger exposed top part.
    100% disagree with adding an extra string on the top as this weakens the structural integrity of the racket very significantly. This is true especially for higher tension users. For lower tension, non-racket breakers, it maybe OK but Panda does not condone it.

A prime example is back in the day Panda's go to racket was the Cab 20. Panda, listening to another, added an extra cross string at the top. While it helped with less string breakage and made the string bed stiffer, Panda started breaking the racket frame at the 11 or 1 o'clock position from mishits. At least eight Cab 20s broke like this. Panda stopped adding the extra cross string and stopped breaking rackets from mishits up top.

Another prominent, ranked player used to add an extra cross to the top of all his rackets, even isometric rackets. He did this because he liked the feel. He would break rackets from mishits pretty frequently as well. Panda told him to remove the extra top string to reduce stress to the frame. He tried it for a few months, came back and told Panda no more breakage. However, since he's sponsored by the Evil Empire and gets rackets for free, he continued to add that extra top string because he liked the feel.

The question should be what is most important to the user. As a stringer, Panda's first concern is trying to maximize the racket's structural integrity. Racket performance comes second.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: Panda confirmed with Ashaway that all ZyMax string in each respective thickness is created equal, worldwide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% disagree with adding an extra string on the top as this weakens the structural integrity of the racket very significantly. This is true especially for higher tension users. For lower tension, non-racket breakers, it maybe OK but Panda does not condone it.

A prime example is back in the day Panda's go to racket was the Cab 20. Panda, listening to another, added an extra cross string at the top. While it helped with less string breakage and made the string bed stiffer, Panda started breaking the racket frame at the 11 or 1 o'clock position from mishits. At least eight Cab 20s broke like this. Panda stopped adding the extra cross string and stopped breaking rackets from mishits up top.
    to recall back something more than 15 years ago on adding extra string at the top of a racket:

i think i just found the answer from you, lol

i have used and broke 8 pieces cab 20 before and

i did put an extra string there and it was high tension as well

those extra string with high tension must be the culprits

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please note that what I have said earlier is an extra cross string at the top, meaning it is a separate one-pc string that you weave across the top and not an extension of the existing cross string. This extra cross string at the top is strung after the normal stringing job is finished and it can be strung by hand without mounting the racket on the stringing machine. It does not have the tension of the normal cross string and is there to share the load with the top mains from mis-hits.
    In other words there are two pieces of cross strings, one piece is the normal piece that forms the normal crosses of the string bed and the other is a very short and very thin cross string at the top that is strung by hand.

Page 43 of 121 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 93 ... LastLast