Format changed for the Opens!

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by I'm All In!, Jul 24, 2009.

1. I'm All In!

I'm All In! Regular Member

Does anyone know there is a change of format for the Opens? It's gonna be round robin all the way. I mean all the tourneys in the past few years were already bad enough that less people played. And now they changed to this ridiculous format. I'm betting the first tourney will be cancelled. Smell the salt and wake up. That's not how to promote badminton in Canada. That's why more people go to U.S. and play. Nice Job whoever came up with this!!!! Making our decisions more easier.

2. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Well, the idea for the Round Robin is so that players could play their event on the respected day and finish on the same day. The theory is that players wouldn't have to spend the entire weekend playing. However, if you're playing all events, it really wouldn't make a difference, except you would probably have 9 tough matches in 2 or 3 days.

The reason for the pool play is to group players in their own strength categories so they get better matches. There are some obvious pros and cons, and as a competitive player, I'd rather have a draw where I can have some easier rounds before the tougher ones, instead of 3 harder matches from the start :p

Either way, the goal of the format change is for high performance. Whether they achieve it or not, I don't know. I just wonder how they will pool people who change partners in doubles/mixed events :rolleyes:

3. I'm All In!

The tourneys are bad enough already that less players enter. With the high entry fee(s) and no incentives at all for the less competitive players who don't want the money for the Nationals, why pay and play. For instance, there weren't other players played the tourneys in Vancouver beside the usual elite players. If trying to promote the game of badminton in Vancouver and getting more people involved. Well, not doing a good job! I believe there are more recreational and advance players than elite players playing. It has to make them more attractive, so other people will come and play. The tourneys aren't just for the elite players.

4. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    It's great there are so many recreational players playing, and they did have a "B" Circuit AND the odd Recreational Tournaments only. However, they still need to have their "high performance" and like I've said, they have done this move in hopes to build high performance, and also to save time for people who are only playing one event, so they don't have to spend the entire weekend there. Whether it will have success or not, I don't know.

Well, to make things worse, I think they have eliminated the "B" circuit all together from Badminton BC and are probably replacing it with a Recreational Circuit. However, I do think there are people who are looking to keep the "B" circuit alive, so I wouldn't fret just yet. It just won't be sanctioned by Badminton BC, and if that's the case, you don't have to complain about membership fees or what not. If anything, Badmintology is hosting their own tournament at the same time as the VRC Summer Tournament. Their website is: http://www.badmintology.com/

And with the Badminton BC Open Circuit, how can they NOT be for elite players? Where else are they supposed to play? With so many funding incentives and requirements based on these Open Circuit tournaments, they ARE for the elite players. If you're looking for fun tournaments, they do exist. Check the local University clubs as they do host the odd tournament, we have Badmintology out doing their thing, so where else do the Elite players go? It's great to have a lot of people involved, but if nobody is any good at it, what good is that going to be for the sport?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I am not from your region, so I do not know too much background. However, in theory, I do not understand how bad it can be.

In my area, many of us actually prefer round robin. Many local tournaments, we have players range from beginner to ex-internal all in 1 open flight. The problem is obvious, most of the joe-doe club level players will be surely eliminated from earlier round. Most of us do not care about losing, and we never dreamed about upset an ex-international in 1st round. However, it's very discouraging if we trave for 3 hours, and get 5 minutes of action for picking up shuttles. :rolleyes: So, round robin format can offer at least some reasonable level of competitons in group stage. Of course, the number of players going to be next "elimination" round (playoffs) can be tricky.

Overall, I think there's no perfect solution. However, I do not see any major disadvantage of round robin, it just be another solution and fit better for some players. It may cause some players to walk away, but on the other end, it will surely draw a great amount interests from others. ;)

6. I'm All In!

In conclusion, there aren't any attractions for B,C, or D players to play those Opens anymore. Compare this past 2 years to 4-5 yrs ago, there are at least half of the players didn't attend. I wonder why??? This is like chicken and duck talking! Well, good luck to all the Open tourneys, IF THERE WILL BE ANY! LOL!

7. I'm All In!

Well, I'm seeing only 9 players registered for the Summer Open. Even the elite players don't enter....lol! Why pay to play with the same ppl all the time, or watching the same ppl to play the finals. It's so b-o-r-i-n-g! sigh!

8. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    The summer tournament is held a lot earlier this year, as it is usually held at the end of August. A lot of people are probably on vacation, as I know a few people are out of town already. Secondly, there are 3 players going to compete at World Championships. Thirdly, Badmintology is hosting their tournament during the same weekend, so there will obviously be conflicts.

If anything, this new format probably helps you, because you should be playing people in a pool that is of similar strength. Furthermore, you get to play a minimum of 3 matches. These Open tournaments are of at LEAST provincial caliber. Obviously, all the provincial players will be there competing, unless there is a National or International tournament at the same time.

This thread really is pointless. You can complain all you want, but there is little you can do here. We have been reiterating the same points over and over again and all you have been doing is complaining about tournaments you probably can't handle. If you don't want to support the Open tournaments, I have already given you alternatives. I really don't see how this thread can continue on.

9. I'm All In!

OK! You are talking about only around 10 ppl can't make it to the Summer Open. I'm talking about like tens of ppl. For example, like the VLT Open 2008, it wasn't like before with many DIFFERENT ppl entered. Yeah, you are right. THis is really pointless just by talking to you, giving all these excuses. Time will tell!

10. I'm All In!

well, I only see less than 40 ppl entered for the Summer tourney. Even with all the elite/provincial/A players in Van. enter, there wont be enough to start. Someone needs to tkae the blame.

11. I'm All In!

Well, The Summer Open has been cancelled. What do you have to say Towbsss? It is bad enough the tourney canot be run.

12. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    Is there something that you want towbsss to do about this? He isn't badmintonbc. He's brought alternative solutions to you, and that's all there can be done right now. No I don't support the new format. In a way it's harder for lower level players to motivate themselves to reach the top of a tournament. However, in a way it makes them want to keep winning in order to reach the next pool up (just to be at the bottom again).
    However, I didn't support the 21-point system either, and my mind got changed there a year later.

13. I'm All In!

Before anyone reply to this thread, please go check out the BBC website. They are asking clubs to host the tourneys. This is the answer for all the problems after the format changed. I don't want Towbsss to do anything. In fact, what can he do. He said the Opens are for elite players....well, go for him/her....How many elite players in Vancity? and if ALL attend, there wont be enough to run a tourney...And then, they will figure something else to raise the money for nationals and other away tourneys....It's time to wake up and do something about it whoever came up with this nice format....