string patterns

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jwu, Oct 11, 2002.

1. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Another stringing question. Been looking at string patterns and some racquets have 22 main, but others only have 18 main. Just wondering why? All of these racquets have the same number of thread holes, is this to keep the shape of the racquet? Also, the skipped hole is different too. For the newer racquets they all skip B11 Main, but some of the basic models skip B9 instead. Just wondering why this is so too. Thanks.

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    22 is the standard for most racquets. i have encountered the occasional 18 but on much lower end racquets, and the gap is substantial. not sure which racquets you have seen that are 18, else could it me a missed string-job?

i feel skipping b9 looks kind of weird, but i have seen that a few times as well. i prefer skipping b11. actually, try stringing up the prince racquet if you really want to get messed sometimes...:D

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    The racquet I was doing is Yonex B-750. It just looked really weird skipping B9 and doing 18M, gaps are so big. So should I follow the pattern given or can I do the usual 22M w/ B11 skip? I mean what's the reason behind the pattern difference? I' understand why the prince racquets are different because they just shape like a diamond but the Yonex B-750 is just an oval shape racquet w/ the same amount of thread holes as any other Yonex racquets.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    string the way you feel best about

after all, it's your string job. if you constantly are looking at it weird, sort of bugging you each time you look at it, there is definitely something peculiar.

to tell you the truth, i think the original skipping b9 could have been a factory mistake, but perpetuated through since some stringers thought it could be a standard pattern. i would just go with your own personal opinion.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    thanks again o wise one :D master of stringing techniques. Much to learn in the art of stringing...

I am currently staring at a "diamond" shape prince racquet and scratching my head on how I should begin this thing...:p gonna be a fun night.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    here's a little puzzle for the earlier prince models. from the original series of prince racquets, there is supposed to be an extra set of string pair that are quite close together, and in stringing it you will in fact have a nice little box pattern around the corners. Not too many stringers do this because it takes more time and string. I have done this before in my prince racquet, and it looks pretty cool, but it does involve having an extra two crosses and two mains each to accomplish.

if you are challenged to this, they should be holes B7, B8 and T7 and T8.

have fun:D

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    OH JOY!!! project!!! :D wow, that sounds cool, I'll give it a try and since I haven't start it yet, it'd be easy. :p Thanks again for all the help badrad.

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Babolat Satellite

How about the Babolat Satellite series? It is supposed to be easier to string without the need to double string the holes and also less number of main/cross.