User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Played Badminton for the first time

I just thought I'll post my experience. Who know maybe it'll help someone out or get them interested. A couple of days ago I found a way to this community center. Since I can't drive, I had to hussle a way there and back. I know it was worth it. I was completely inexperienced walking in, but in the end I think I did well for my first play.

This older guy thare was very helpful. He kind of intimidated me at first though. But I don't know why because it was stuff I was at least partially aware of...Badminton is harder than tennis...The shuttle moves at 180mph. Then it was brought up that I never played a sport before. Have to start somewhere, right?

Anyway, he started with telling me my racquet sucked not in those words or any condescending way. The strings weren't tight enough. I got it from Wal-Mart. That's expected, right? He let me borrow his. He told me the importance of stretching. Then he showed me the handshake grip, and I practiced a serve that incorporated it. I found myself again playing against the wall. This was also supposed to test my...eye coordination(I think that's what you'll call). I kept missing the birdie at first. Then he told to just drop ten times to see how fast it'll drop. That helped. The racquet was extension of my arm, and instead of watching it I should keep my eye on the birdie.

After doing that for I don't know how long I finally was put on the court against this girl. I had never seen a badminton court so that was nice. I wasn't allowed to serve and I missed a lot of shots. Needless to say the rallies didn't last very long. They did get longer, however. Then the girl I was playing against she and I started playing against this one guy. He's a member here hubie214. I guess that'll be considered some type of drill. Hat's of to the people who can do that. He was fast.

The people I played with were encouraging and nice. I received some great tips like point at the shuttlecock with your left finger(if you're right handed) to help aim for the birdie. And that the flick of the wrist when hitting an overhead shot with a fronthand grip gives it power.They also repeated and corrected stuff for me.

All my shots went to the left though or out of bounce. So there's definitely room to improve…Always,huh?

Despite my stretching I still cramped up afterwards. That's when i paid attention to Kwun's post and others like it. Trying to eat a good diet so that my weight won't cause a greater impact.

Lastly, I had fun. Seeing a badminton court for the first time was cool. And I like the sound of a shuttlecock when it hits the racquet. I think I'll keep at this sport.
    Last edited by gal91; 09-08-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is great that you get to meet up with very helpful people on your first time out. Keep it up and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

goodanee..

first impression is so important...

God bless!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you start, you will only get better and have more fun. If you are surrounded by helpful peers, then you will have a very successful and fun badminton experience!

Welcome to the sport!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very awesome and good to see that you met friendly people to show you how to play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it must have been great to get people to help you out in your 1st time ^_^

Welcome to the World of Badminton!!