Oh no, My strings broke.

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by BrokenStrings, Jul 26, 2009.

1. BrokenStrings

BrokenStrings New Member

Hi, I'm 13(finally got to create and account) and I've loved badminton for about two years. I'm a newbie, but I'm willing to learn. Btw, is it true that the shots you hit up are called lifts, and the forehand taps are drops? If so, the badminton coaches are teaching us wrong. Also, if you serve to wrong side, do you get a reserve, or do you lose a point? Thanks for reading this.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Welcome..^^

..to BCDF, BrokenStrings!:)..As for your queries:
    1. Yes, they're called lifts, but only if you hit the shuttles below or at your head level. If you hit the shuttle above your head, then it's either a lob or clear.
    2. Yes, forehand taps can be called drops.
    3. Depends what scoring system and whether you're playing doubles or singles. If you're playing Doubles and you happen to use the OSS (Old scoring system-15 pts), then yes, you can have a 2nd serve (by your partner) and don't lose any point, if you hit to the wrong side. If using the NSS (New scoring system), then sorry, the answer is no and you lose a point. In Singles play, there's no reserve serve or 2nd serve.
    Anyway, glad to have you onboard, keep coming back and enjoy reading the many baddy advice offerings!;):cool:

3. BrokenStrings

BrokenStrings New Member

Could you enlighten me about these "new rules"? My coaches don't really teach us much about the rules, ( some coaches they are).

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

welcome to the forum.

and yikes, some coach you've got there. maybe he/she is trying to teach you the basics of the game first, such as grip, shots etc and don't want you to concentrate on too many things at a time.